Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use the HPWC cable organizer for my outdoor UMC setup???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing pretty much this exact setup as a semi-permanent outdoor UMC setup.
Could I buy just the HPWC Cable Organizer, Tesla Gear Shop Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer and use it to hold the cord, and more importantly protect the UMC connectors? I assume it fits the same???

AiqjrZx.jpg

WallHook5_1024x1024.jpg

Yeah, that would be my fear Hingis...with the adapter pointing "up", the housing of the plastic organizer had better be totally weatherproof or you will encounter a problem.

I wonder if you could "hang" a second exterior electrical box (that you could ensure is waterproof) and store the handle in it when not being used?

The UMC connector is the same size and has the same notch in the underside that the HPWC connector has so it will hang on the bracket (I tested on mine to be sure). The HPWC is suitable to mount outside exposed and there's nothing in the manual about not using that bracket outside. The connector hangs far enough up inside the bracket that water is unlikely to get in unless driven by hurricane winds.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14509-HPWC-outdoor-install show that bracket being used outdoors, even by Tesla themselves.

Last edited:
My other idea was to make some sort of material (maybe nylon) hood for the end of the UMC....Like, so you would just roll it down (almost inside out) when using and then roll it back down overtop of the end of the wand when not using. Hang so connector end points down too and it should be reasonably well protected. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Sort of like a sock that you would roll down and flip inside out when not in use.

One other possibility...we mounted the HWPC for my Wife's car inside the garage, but near the front. (inside the garage is Roadster territory :wink:)

We park the Model S outside, close to the garage door, and simply run the cable outside to charge her car...when not being used, the cable is stowed (out of the weather) looped around the HWPC...do you have a garage...could this be an option for you ?

Yes, it works fine. I had that precise setup until I got an HPWC installed Monday. The cord end sits in the bracket as long as you are somewhat careful about how you coil the cable.

I'd actually be a bit concerned about a nylon sock or similar just because I'd be worried that any moisture that did get in would be trapped. Having the cord inverted and covered seems like the better solution.

One other possibility...we mounted the HWPC for my Wife's car inside the garage, but near the front. (inside the garage is Roadster territory :wink:)

We park the Model S outside, close to the garage door, and simply run the cable outside to charge her car...when not being used, the cable is stowed (out of the weather) looped around the HWPC...do you have a garage...could this be an option for you ?

This is what I do for the Model S. Works very well, just grind a channel under the garage door for the cable to pass through.

I use the organizer you are asking about with my UMC. It happens to be inside a garage, but it would work just fine outside. The head or business end of the UMC has a slight notch or hook in the underside (as plugged into the Tesla). This is exactly the same notch or hook that is used at Superchargers to hold the larger cable. If that setup is good enough for an exterior supercharger, it certainly should be good enough for the UMC. The cable organizer comes with both wood screws and drywall anchors. There is a notch or opening in the organizer which is sized to match the HPWC cable. That cable is larger in diameter than the UMC cable, but it works just fine.