Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Are you guys mounting your front license plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California requires two license places. We have not attached ours. I would guess from the Teslas that I have seen throughout the state that about 1/3 attach the plate and 2/3 thumb their noses at the law.

Enforcement here is spotty. In general it is the parking control division at popular parking spots (like airport terminals and the downtown areas of large cities) that write the citations for no front plate. The traffic cops usually cannot be bothered with stopping you just for no plate. But then, sometimes there is that rookie cop who wants to make a name for himself, so I guess you pays your money, and you takes your chances!

When I picked up the car in Toronto last May, they asked, "do you want the front plate installed, it will only take a minute". I said, let me run for a while without until I get the first warning. So far, not even a pull over, I expected when OPP are doing laser speed control (they normally point at your front plate) that I would get pulled over, but have gone through a bunch and nothing yet.

Around here they're used to Quebec cars, so it's really not noticed. I ran without a front plate for about four months until I figured out a mounting method I could tolerate (stock install is horrible IMHO). A friend of mine never installed his, been running two years without a problem.

I got busted the first week. The cops were looking for distracted (cell phone using) drivers, but they noticed my P85 and no front plate. They gave me a warning and a $0 ticket and told me to get it installed. I was also busted for this a few years back with my Toyota Tacoma with no front plate. Because I had moved here from Alberta where we didn't have front plates, so I didn't have the mounting for it. Actually I think Ontario should just drop that requirement as a cost savings. Anyway on the P85 I mounted it with ty-wraps to the grill below the nosecone by the method someone on here described.

I didn't want to give the police any reason to pull me over..I already have the arrest me red color.
I am hoping that if and when I do get pulled over that the officer is very interested in learning more about the Tesla since they are still relatively rare here in Canada, at least compared to California. He will then become so interested in the car and the technology that I will get off with a warning.

I'm not quite sure why there is such an objection to adding a front plate, when it's required by law. Isn't this the same sort of attitude which we object to, as EV drivers, when charging spots are ICEd? "Hey, I can usually get away with it..."

(Yes, I had the service centre install the license plate on the front. It may look better without it, but it doesn't bother me to have it there.)

Yep, agree...last time I tried running w/o a front plate was on a Scirocco back in the 80's...only took about 3 weeks to get pulled over :cursing:...not worth the hassle I figure...

Yes - I had them drill holes and screw it in when I picked up the car. I agree that it looks better without it but I don't want to deal with the hassle of potentially getting pulled over.

I had Tesla attach mine to the front after I picked up the plates (drill & bolts). I didn't want the potential hassle of getting stopped for it, and figured that it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new nose cap if we move to a state that doesn't require the front plate than pay for the ticket.

I didn't install a front plate on my Corvette or my Model S. I was ticketed twice in the Corvette without a fine. Texas now has a provision for issuing a fine, but I haven't been stopped in the Model S. I will pay the fine and not install the front plate if I get a ticket.

I had a front plate on my Sonata before I got into a frontal collision. After the repair, I told the body shop not to drill the holes for the front plate. I still have the plate in my trunk (slightly crumpled, but still good). I ran my last car without a front plate for several years, and never got cited for it (ironically, even when I WAS cited for other things.)

I had to get it installed (that was painful to watch!) because the police love to ticket cars in court parking lots here in LA that don't have it on. If you are in the Los Angeles area and don't have your plates on, be careful around the downtown LA and Marina Del Rey public court/offices buildings.

If you get a nice officer, you will just get a 'fix-it' ticket. If not, regular ticket with fine.

I had it installed to avoid a reason to be pulled over but I really debated with myself on it because I think it looks better without. I have been pulled over on an Army base in town specifically for a missing front plate. I felt it was an excuse to stop me and see if there was anything else they could get me for - I was a young kid that probably looked suspicious in my hoopty. I got off with a warning and a lecture that they are required.

I got in an accident a number of years back that mashed the front plate. After the vehicle was fixed, I ran without the front plate for a bit. First ticket in about 8 weeks. Second in 4-5 weeks. Both came with fines. So I decided it wasn't worth it, and I had Tesla mount the plate.