Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D vs Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG Drag Racing 1/4 Mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two very evenly matched super sedans. The '14 AWD $100,000 AMG e63 "S" versus the '14 AWD $98,170 P85D...and for the record, at the time of this video the P85D does not yet have all of its performance unlocked.

Enjoy :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I expected the P85D to edge out the Mercedes AMG. It's always interesting to see how the Tesla is way quicker off the line and to 60 but than the ICE often starts to catch up, and in this case even though the ICE was going faster at the 1/4 mile it still lost because it was slower at the start, but it did not lose by much.

Bottom line: when it comes to real world usable acceleration the Tesla is hands down better. I don't care about performance at speeds over 100mph.

Yep, agree, give me the real world, street useable torque and speed (0-80mph) any day...

I expected the P85D to edge out the Mercedes AMG. It's always interesting to see how the Tesla is way quicker off the line and to 60 but than the ICE often starts to catch up, and in this case even though the ICE was going faster at the 1/4 mile it still lost because it was slower at the start, but it did not lose by much.

Bottom line: when it comes to real world usable acceleration the Tesla is hands down better. I don't care about performance at speeds over 100mph.

Makes one wonder if Tesla would ever develop an optional 2-speed gearbox for Model S to give it more top-end?

Doubtful, IMO. One of the nicest things about Model S is it's always in the right gear for maximum performance. A multi-speed gearbox would seem like a bit of a step backwards.