Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seats VS Non NG Seats rearview obstruction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my p85d in for service for a small draft in the drivers window and a rattle in the sunroof (both fixed quickly) and I was given a 85 loaner. I know there was some debate on the size of the middle seat obstruction of the view so I figured take a pic of non next gen (1.5) vs next gen.

IMG_1175.JPG

The above is the old seat from an S85

The below is from my p85d
IMG_1177.JPG

Doesnt make much of a difference to me! But I thought you guys on the line trying to figure the NG seats (along with the discussion of the child seats) would like to see this to help make an informed decision. I tried to get the picture from the angle I see through the rear view and tried to get the picture at the same distance and angle. not perfect but does the job.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    821 KB · Views: 1,400
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,394
Last edited:
that is NOT the old design. your pics from the loaner are the NEW v1.5 design.

THIS is the real OLD design (v1.0), and the headrests are obviously A LOT smaller, and it is my understanding these (v1.0) are no longer made. now you get v1.5 as the "regular" seats, and v2.0 are next gen (hence, all new owners are screwed with lower visibility no matter what you pick)

2013-tesla-model-s-rear-interior-seats.jpg

a better view, clearly showing that the old v1.0 DO NOT obstruct the rear view. IMO the v1.5 and v2.0 are a MAJOR FAIL by Tesla.

tesla-model-s-p85-review-2014_41.jpg

Last edited:
Except when you get rear ended and have adult passengers in the back seat. I'm guessing the old seats were a MAJOR FAIL when it came to European crash testing.

But if you could see what's behind you then you can get out of the way before it smashes into you :p. Kinda like this guy: 1.18.15 NJ Turnpike I-95 Crash - Black Ice - Trailer flip - YouTube

Ok ok maybe not like that guy, he just sat there like an idiot as the truck is barreling down on him. He's lucky he didn't get squashed.

Fezzik,
Your pictures are spot on, very helpful in showing what to expect.

I had my p85d in for service for a small draft in the drivers window and a rattle in the sunroof (both fixed quickly) and I was given a 85 loaner. I know there was some debate on the size of the middle seat obstruction of the view so I figured take a pic of non next gen (1.5) vs next gen.

View attachment 70024
The above is the old seat from an S85

The below is from my p85d
View attachment 70025

Doesnt make much of a difference to me! But I thought you guys on the line trying to figure the NG seats (along with the discussion of the child seats) would like to see this to help make an informed decision. I tried to get the picture from the angle I see through the rear view and tried to get the picture at the same distance and angle. not perfect but does the job.