Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual Subscriptions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering what the $30 - 1 hour subscription to the service manuals gets you. Is it a bunch of PDF's that one can download in the hour and read at your leisure, or is it just a web interface that you would have to madly navigate like "The Flash" to figure out what you need and quickly print it off? Has anyone used it? Not that I am needing service, I just think it would be interesting reading if it were in PDF form. Possibly for future reference for simple fixes as well.

In case you aren't aware, they are here:
service.teslamotors.com

I'm with breser - your post and the link included are the first time I've seen any way for anyone outside of Tesla's chosen few to read the service manuals. This is a really good sign, but I have no idea what's inside the pay wall.

Given the financing model, I suspect it is not something where an hour's access will give you everything you'd need forever after.

I am surprised that nobody has seen this before. I actually got the link from another post by @lolachampcar in another thread. Can't recal just where at the moment. I did a little more digging and found the following link, but it is only a google cache, the orignal doesn't work anymore. Not sure how long this will remain active. It eludes to an interactive PDF, whatever that means. It looks quite interesting though.

Tesla Model S - Repair Manual on Behance

From the terms and conditions for the manual subscription service:

The contents of this Site are intended for professional automobile technicians to repair or service vehicles in the market in which the applicable subscription is purchased only....

The Information is provided expressly for the purpose of use by professional automobile technicians who have special techniques and certifications. In cases where non-specialized or uncertified technicians perform repair or service using only the Information, or without proper equipment or tools, that practice may cause severe injury or death to the individual or other individuals and could possibly cause damage or malfunction to the customer's vehicle. Any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from such service or repairs may not be covered by, or may void, the vehicle’s limited warranty....

$100 for 24 hours
$350 for a month
$3000 one year

First I've heard of it too. Is it mostly for body work or do the manuals also cover technical aspects like servicing the onboard charger or replacing the SIM card? Also odd that they charge for access. Is this standard for other manufacturers?

[Edit: if you have a question, ask it quickly. :)]

I really, really hope I'm not opening up a can of worms. I'm not interested in becoming a "gateway" into Tesla's service docs.

Having said that: there are materials here for both Roadster and S. I purchased a one hour subscription, which is ending in a few minutes. Major sections as follows:

Service Manuals
==========

Service Manual - interactive. An exhaustive list of topics that you drill down into. When you get to a leaf node, you can generate a printer-friendly version. Lots of pictures. How to get at pretty much everything in the car. One interesting thing for me: I was interested in the SIM card. Turns out that you can drop down the bottom of the touchscreen area, somehow, then get access to a "SIM extender", then the SIM. Total time estimated to replace: 0.2 (I think that must be hours). Much less effort than what I'd previously imagined.

Parts Manual - takes a while to load. Comes as a PDF, probably can just be printed off or saved.

Labor Codes and Flat Rate Times

Circuit Diagrams and Connector Reference. Note that there are many versions of these, as changes were made during the production runs.

Service Documents
============

Searchable database of service bulletins and perhaps other stuff. Keyword searchable; also can search by document number, vehicle system; and play around with sort order. The documents that come back are PDFs.

Owner Manuals
==========

I believe this is all stuff owners already have access to.

In conclusion: if you're a service shop, you'll want a subscription for at least a little while and if your business expands to include regular Tesla customers you'll want the year-long subscription. The car's a moving target and you won't want to be operating with documents that are even a year old.

Alan

Can someone in MA please tell us what's inside?

This is weird timing. Has this existed all along? Doubt it. Why did Tesla all of a sudden decide to open subscription based service docs over 2 years after the MS entered production?

[Edit: if you have a question, ask it quickly. :)]

I really, really hope I'm not opening up a can of worms. I'm not interested in becoming a "gateway" into Tesla's service docs.

Having said that: there are materials here for both Roadster and S. I purchased a one hour subscription, which is ending in a few minutes. Major sections as follows:

Service Manuals
==========

Service Manual - interactive. An exhaustive list of topics that you drill down into. When you get to a leaf node, you can generate a printer-friendly version. Lots of pictures. How to get at pretty much everything in the car. One interesting thing for me: I was interested in the SIM card. Turns out that you can drop down the bottom of the touchscreen area, somehow, then get access to a "SIM extender", then the SIM. Total time estimated to replace: 0.2 (I think that must be hours). Much less effort than what I'd previously imagined.

Parts Manual - takes a while to load. Comes as a PDF, probably can just be printed off or saved.

Labor Codes and Flat Rate Times

Circuit Diagrams and Connector Reference. Note that there are many versions of these, as changes were made during the production runs.

Service Documents
============

Searchable database of service bulletins and perhaps other stuff. Keyword searchable; also can search by document number, vehicle system; and play around with sort order. The documents that come back are PDFs.

Owner Manuals
==========

I believe this is all stuff owners already have access to.

In conclusion: if you're a service shop, you'll want a subscription for at least a little while and if your business expands to include regular Tesla customers you'll want the year-long subscription. The car's a moving target and you won't want to be operating with documents that are even a year old.

Alan

next time run screen capture software, flip through all the pages real fast, then post it on youtube.

I am surprised that nobody has seen this before. I actually got the link from another post by @lolachampcar in another thread. Can't recal just where at the moment. I did a little more digging and found the following link, but it is only a google cache, the orignal doesn't work anymore. Not sure how long this will remain active. It eludes to an interactive PDF, whatever that means. It looks quite interesting though.

Tesla Model S - Repair Manual on Behance

If he shared it I sure can't find him doing so.

That cache on google was from the 19th of January. So it seems like this is something recent. I'd bet that this was part of the new website.

- - - Updated - - -

next time run screen capture software, flip through all the pages real fast, then post it on youtube.

And it'll be taken down very quickly because Tesla will just file a DMCA notice with YouTube for copyright violation.

Does the information on the site provide you access to the Service Menus (Access Code)? I would think this would be required for many repairs.

If I were Tesla I would give each car unique key material that generates a rotating code, and you have to log in to a Tesla server to ask for access to the specific car ( time sensitive ). That way they know whenever anyone wants to access the service menus on any car.
The backup to that would be a hardware dongle that I would tightly control.

Not saying Tesla's done it - just that's what I would do.