Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
I have 2 question some here may have the answer to...

I tried to use one of the EV Power charging units at the Sai Kung Govt offices yesterday and though it was showing ready to use, I could not get it to work with my car. Has anyone successfully used these charge boxes?

The other question is about the E-Charge chargers at IFC. When plugged in with 32A selected I could not get it to charge (and neither could the grey Model S next to me by the look of it ). Has anyone successfully used these chargers too?

I've used the 32A EVSEs at Sai Kung government offices just fine. Sometimes it takes an unplug and re-plug to get it to start.

Last night I also used the 3x32A EVSEs at IFC. It was a bit klunky. Had to plug both ends in first, then hold the E-charge tag up against the unit for a _long_ time before it was recognised, then wait more _long_ time for authentication, then finally charge started.

I tried to use one of the EV Power charging units at the Sai Kung Govt offices yesterday and though it was showing ready to use, I could not get it to work with my car. Has anyone successfully used these charge boxes?

I have used the Sai Kung Gov't office IEC type 2 units a couple of times without issues. The same experience at Murray Road gov't parking, they are fine as well, I only have trouble at Revenue Tower gov't parking. They are all installed by EVPower I believe.

I have 2 question some here may have the answer to...

The other question is about the E-Charge chargers at IFC. When plugged in with 32A selected I could not get it to charge (and neither could the grey Model S next to me by the look of it ). Has anyone successfully used these chargers too?

The "logic" (or rather, lack of logic) makes it a bit confusing. When it is showing ready to use in GREEN - it means you can plug in and activate it. In other words, it is powered and should work properly, after you activate it.

It won't work, though, until you activate it with the RFID chip from HKEvpower, or the "E-Charge" app (both require that you have an account - which is free for the moment). It will then change to BLUE color when it is actually charging (I don't remember the wordings on it, and there are different models)

Usually, there is a long winded explanation poster on the wall near by. It is amazing how much effort is required to charge, when you compare to a supercharger installation which I would say is properly "plug and play", while those other chargers are "plug and pRay"

Those 32A EVSE at government's parking (EV Link not required) are not very reliable. I experienced many problems with them since day 1.
On Monday, I parked my car and charging in Star Ferry Parking, at the beginning it gave me only 16A, then jumped to 32A , and nothing at the end. I only got less than 30km of range after parking there for 6 hours....