Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is the roadster "buggy" as a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I discussed the roadster with a rep from Tesla and was told that the roadster is not a good option for a "daily driver". I drive about 110 miles a day (highway) and was really wanting the roadster, but the rep kept suggesting the S.
He told me the roadster is considered "buggy".
I was also wanting to know the difference between 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5.
Please help me out...I would purchase a different car before I would buy a 4-door tesla.
Anyone out there drive the roadster as a daily driver?

This Tesla Rep most likely never drove or even touched a Roadster. Its the perfect commuter, nimble, small, and fore me comfortable. He most likely wanted you to buy an S. As for the differences on the 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 please search for that. I don't want to post something that's been discussed many many times. If you look for it you'll find it.

it is DEFINITELY not buggy. I use it as my daily except for when it rains, purely to keep from washing the car as much :p

but it does have some "character" issues. In the winter, it gets "drafty", in summer, the AC can get overwhelmed., and no power steering. can be a chore ..but man it's such a fun drive with the top down!

I had a M3 before as my daily and this car beats it hands down in reliability.

Had my 1.5 for about 3 years now. Never had to go into service center for anything other than annual service. Now, I don't have a MS, and I don't want to speak for the MS owners. But from what I read, most MS owners can't say the same.

One thing I will state. It is a "sportscar". So if you're looking for a plush ride, then go for the Model S. Also if you have a bad back, also go for the Model S. If you want to talk on a bluetooth headset for calls longer than a few minutes, get the S, since the Roadster can pick up lots of wind / road noise. There's a style you'll need to perfect over time as well as using a few different muscles for getting in/out. But once you get the style down its rather smooth. I love the S, but for commuting its really a big car. I do 70 miles / day for my commute and wish it was longer! Always get excited each day I get to drive this car and I don't ever seeing myself losing the feeling.

The Roadster is my daily driver, and that includes the rainy days in Portland (I really should wash the car more in the winter, but my fingers get cold).

I find myself occasionally wishing and wanting a longer drive / commute.

For my bad back, I've not found a better seat / chair anywhere than the Roadster's seats. My wife and I have joked about finding a set of the seats from a salvage car and getting some steel tubes welded on to make chairs :) Your mileage may vary of course.

Heck of a lot of fun.

I will say that the car has been in the shop for minor stuff more frequently than our other car. This has not been a burden for me as I've driven an S85, P85, and P85+ as loaners during those visits.

Its the perfect commuter, nimble, small, and fore me comfortable...

Perhaps "perfect" is an overstatement... Some downsides include:
#1: Very small and low to the ground, so hard to be seen, so you need to drive defensively almost as if you were on a motorcycle.
#2: Somewhat poor rearward visibility.
#3: Very expensive to repair if you have any kind of body/frame damage.
#4: Very minimal cargo capability. ( I suppose you can use the passenger seat to hold groceries if you buy a lot by yourself. )

Perhaps "perfect" is an overstatement... Some downsides include:
#1: Very small and low to the ground, so hard to be seen, so you need to drive defensively almost as if you were on a motorcycle.
#4: Very minimal cargo capability. ( I suppose you can use the passenger seat to hold groceries if you buy a lot by yourself. )

For me I've managed with these and find some as a good thing.

-I like being low and I can see the front tires turn in on me as I pass the car, letting me know ahead of time to take action. But I'm also a motorcycle rider. Always being aware in any vehicle is key. But I find being low is a good thing. I haven't had issues of anyone not seeing me for the most part. When I drive, I drive passing cars not sitting next to them. If you're squatting next to any car, you won't be seen no-matter how big you are. Big Rigs do get hit from cars not seeing them. However one negative aspect of being low to the ground is you lose your high vantage point to see road debris, so with that you need to follow cars further behind.

-You get use to this. If you have the proper aftermarket convex mirrors its not an issue for blind spots. I always turn my head and look behind me through the back window to confirm a pass when I can. I've had no issues after driving the car, learning it, and had no issues seeing out the back after I was use to the Roadster.

-Very true. But what full carbon fiber body car is not as well as an exotic?

-I haven't had issues with this. I've shopped at Costco and packed everything I needed in the trunk as well as in the driver seat & footwell. You can also buy a rear cargo rack that goes on the trunk if you need extra cargo room. I have one, have I used it yet. No. But as a commuter how much are you really going to carry each day? My daily carry ons include a lunch box and messenger bag. With Long trips you'll just have to pack lightly if you have a passenger.

Last edited:
-I haven't had issues with this. I've shopped at Costco and packed everything I needed in the trunk as well as in the driver seat & footwell. You can also buy a rear cargo rack that goes on the trunk if you need extra cargo room. I have one, have I used it yet. No. But as a commuter how much are you really going to carry each day? My daily carry ons include a lunch box and messenger bag. With Long trips you'll just have to pack lightly if you have a passenger.

I shop at Costco too with my Roadster! And the grocery store. I think my best is 4 bags of groceries in the trunk (I think I can get 5 if they're packed right), 2 bags in the passenger seat, and 2 or 3 in the footwell. And we're not talking those pansy plastic bags - real paper bags.

My wife and I have also brought home a plant from the farmers market that was too tall to fit in the car with the top on. But heck - 2 people in the car, with one sitting with a plant in their lap :)

The Roadster carries almost everything!(*)

(*) where 'almost everything' excludes most everything

There's always the hitch mounted solution to carry more cargo:

DSCN01341-1024x552.jpg

DSCN01321-1024x453.jpg

DSCN01362-300x241.jpg

With (lack of) respect, the Rep is wrong.

The definition of the term "buggy" is having many problems or errors that prevent proper operation : having many bugs, or is he talking about it being like a horse and buggy?

The Roadster has been my daily driver for almost 4 years now. The hardware and software in it work according to the specification.

As to whether it is suitable as your daily driver, that depends on what you want and the type of car you enjoy. If you like a small, two seater, open top sports car, then the roadster is for you. If you want power steering, quiet comfort, and the feeling of being cocooned inside a warm spacious environment, then the Model S is more suitable.

I haven't had any problem with being seen in my roadster. If anything, other cars tend to stay well clear and cut in front a lot less. I guess they see it as something that looks like it is capable of jumping forward in an instant, and it looks expensive to hit.

Seeing you are from Iowa and your commute is 110 miles, I'm probably the perfect person to talk with (I'm in Wisconsin and also commute 110 miles daily - IN A ROADSTER).

In the last 18 months that I have owned the Roadster, there have only been 1-2 days that I have not used it for the commute. Even in the worst snowstorms (with winter tires of course) it is much more fun to drive than any other car I have had, and the looks on people's faces when I pass their SUV crawling down the interstate at 45 mph "because the roads are slippery" is priceless.

The only issue I have had with mine is the TPMS system, which is notoriously buggy in the 2.0s and 2.5s. Each annual service for the last 3 years something has had to be fixed/replaced related to the system - a receiver, antenna, etc... Otherwise the car has been flawless for 33.000 miles. Oh, it does burn through rear tires pretty quickly :wink:

There's always the hitch mounted solution to carry more cargo:

Those pictures were the day I got the cargo carrying platform, and I just bolted the box on to it. After the trip I cut 6" off the bar so it sits snug right up behind the car. Doesn't block your view, or the taillights, and sitting right there it doesn't seem to have an effect on range. (Sitting up a few inches higher with a different platform, it took off about 3%).

We got that box so we could take our hiking gear to Yosemite. We haven't used it since; but I do use the bike rack a lot.

339166_10150360366450053_777983794_o.jpg

Agree 100% with this...it's been my daily driver for 4 years as well...

With (lack of) respect, the Rep is wrong.

The definition of the term "buggy" is having many problems or errors that prevent proper operation : having many bugs, or is he talking about it being like a horse and buggy?

The Roadster has been my daily driver for almost 4 years now. The hardware and software in it work according to the specification.

As to whether it is suitable as your daily driver, that depends on what you want and the type of car you enjoy. If you like a small, two seater, open top sports car, then the roadster is for you. If you want power steering, quiet comfort, and the feeling of being cocooned inside a warm spacious environment, then the Model S is more suitable.

I haven't had any problem with being seen in my roadster. If anything, other cars tend to stay well clear and cut in front a lot less. I guess they see it as something that looks like it is capable of jumping forward in an instant, and it looks expensive to hit.

Utter nonsense. Frankly my Roadster has been more reliable than my Model S (which to be fair was a very early VIN so a bit buggier than the modern ones). No reason you can't daily drive it. The Model S is more comfortable and practical, sure, but the Roadster is more fun!

Roadster is my daily driver here also. FL climate means cold is never an issue and window tinting helped avoid too much sun.

I will second the comments about defensive driving though. There's been more than a few occasions where someone on my left decided to move to the inside lane without seeing me and I've learned to be ready to slam on brakes and horn simultaneously (it happened again tonight with a big SUV).