Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WPA2 working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
We just upgraded our cable modem/router and the new router uses WPA2 security with a twenty digit security code. All my household items are transferred over and I've had numerous guests visit and get on the network without issue. There are no MAC blocking or other router based screens in place. Both my wife and my previous MS had no issue with our home network. I was hoping to get the latest firmware so I tried getting my P85D on the network on to have it fail. I then tried my wife's car with the same result. The car recognizes the network is WPA2 but will not log on.
Has anyone been using a WPA2 security based wireless router with success?

@lolachampcar,

Sorry to learn of your pain.

FWIW, I have a a WPA2 network with a backbone consisting of a half-dozen Apple Airport Express WAPs scattered around the house. Several vintages, ranging from about a year old to several years old.

All running WPA2. 40-character network alpha password.

Maybe 12-15 clients, including iPads, iPhones, iMacs, MacBooks, TiVo, and whatnot. Visitors connect with a variety of devices, including Windows and Android as well as Apple. Plus, of course, a P85+.

Alan

P.S. Just noticed your comment re signal strength. The key for success in my particular network is that I have a wired backbone running throughout the house, with an N-port GigE router handling the traffic in the basement (N=12? 16? don't recall, but it was a <$200 router so it's not exactly an awesome piece of gear). The Airport Expresses form a single WiFi network but given that they are distributed around the house they can effectively provide a much greater bubble of coverage than a single WiFi access point could provide.

I spent 6 hours on testing this. I was going to post it up somewhere else. It helps to have the wireless signal to be mixed. Not N only, but mixed. Then it will connect. I was able to get it to connect WPA2 personal with aes security key that was 12 digits and 8 digits long. I was not able to get it to connect to a repeater bridge either, so I have it connected to my repeater bridge router on another channel that is bridge to the repeater bridge channel.
So take home. Check that the wireless is on mixed and not N or n/ac and on mixed.

I can connect the tesla to a asus rt-68ac, a linksys e4200 (mixed mode only) and a buffalo router (mixed mode). The last two are running dd-wrt.

Last edited:
Wow, @Fezzik, thanks for the diagnostic effort and reporting back!

Alan

I spent 6 hours on testing this. I was going to post it up somewhere else. It helps to have the wireless signal to be mixed. Not N only, but mixed. Then it will connect. I was able to get it to connect WPA2 personal with aes security key that was 12 digits and 8 digits long. I was not able to get it to connect to a repeater bridge either, so I have it connected to my repeater bridge router on another channel that is bridge to the repeater bridge channel.
So take home. Check that the wireless is on mixed and not N or n/ac and on mixed.

I can connect the tesla to a asus rt-68ac, a linksys e4200 (mixed mode only) and a buffalo router. The last two are running dd-wrt.

I disabled security and still no joy so I believe, like others have mentioned, it is an A/B/N issues. There are no settings for my particular modem in this area even though it is spec'd as backward compatible. I'm going to pick up an Apple Airport today and give that a go.

Thank you all for the help!!

Have you tried rebooting your center console? I have had similar problems that were fixed by rebooting.

My Tesla appears to only connect to my WAP with 802.11g if that helps. Signal strength could be an issue as often you can see other WAPs but you can't carry on a two way conversation as the Tesla may have a stronger antenna. Try to see if you can put a WAP very close to the Tesla to see if it connects. Even if you are not connected to the internet you could put your router right by the car and see if it can make the connection.

My MS's work fine with WPA2, but I have found that the MS's are pretty deaf when it comes to WiFi. I finally put an inexpensive, 2.4 GHz access point in the garage next to the Teslas. Kinda like shouting at a deaf person... :eek:

I have had no problem with my three Airports/Time Capsules that are bridged using WPA2. However, there are times when I have full signal and others where I barely have anything. The garage router is 3ft from the driver's door. I wonder if my variable signal strength is due outside interference that I can't locate. I live in a rural area but most my neighbors have routers that I can see.

Hope that helps.