Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - Maximum regen power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85D will go beyond 60 kW on regen (hard to tell exactly where but I'm gonna guess I've seen it up to 70 kW on the regen scale).

No pictures, no video, sorry.
Will watch, but can say that I've never noted it going much, if any, above 60. Feel wise, I still feel like there could be a lot higher max Regen than what it does now before it would start to feel like too much.

I think they want to save the battery. Fast charging can easily cause battery degradation. Early Model S owners also say they were told not to use SuperCharger often because of this.

Tesla has never said that frequent Supercharging accelerates battery degredation. Officially, Tesla has always maintained that you can Supercharge as much as you want, as often as you want without any undue harm to the battery. However, they have of course always maintained that frequently charging to high SOC will cause accelerated degredation.

In fact, when the Supercharger was introduced back in--I think--October of 2012, Elon or JB was asked this very thing, and the response was to Supercharge as often as you'd like without undue battery pack harm.

I don't think they can say it officially. If you read about Li-Ion batteries the message is always that the faster you charge the more the battery will degrade. Tesla and Panasonic have probably solved much/part of the problem but it's hard to believe they would have solved it fully. It would be nice to see some test results either from Tesla or from some independent party.

Will watch, but can say that I've never noted it going much, if any, above 60. Feel wise, I still feel like there could be a lot higher max Regen than what it does now before it would start to feel like too much.

With my admittedly fairly limited observation of this it seems the best chance of seeing it above 60 is when coming off an interstate let up off the accelerator completely on the off ramp. Coming down from high speed with full regen and mine goes over (under?) 60 kW.

I don't think they can say it officially. If you read about Li-Ion batteries the message is always that the faster you charge the more the battery will degrade. Tesla and Panasonic have probably solved much/part of the problem but it's hard to believe they would have solved it fully. It would be nice to see some test results either from Tesla or from some independent party.
What degrades the battery is heat. Almost no LiIon batteries out there get active cooling while charging. So they heat up, faster the charging, more heat buildup and more degradation. But when you actively remove heat there is much much less degradation. In the end it can be so that faster charging degrades LESS than slower charging because battery is exposed to a bit higher temps for shorter time.

- - - Updated - - -

Coming down from high speed with full regen and mine goes over (under?) 60 kW.
Yes, I expect regen to max out only at and maybe even only above legal HW speeds.

90kW at 20mph would brake your nose.

Tesla has never said that frequent Supercharging accelerates battery degredation. Officially, Tesla has always maintained that you can Supercharge as much as you want, as often as you want without any undue harm to the battery. However, they have of course always maintained that frequently charging to high SOC will cause accelerated degredation.

In fact, when the Supercharger was introduced back in--I think--October of 2012, Elon or JB was asked this very thing, and the response was to Supercharge as often as you'd like without undue battery pack harm.

This is my recollection as well. Never remember Tesla saying not to supercharge often. If the pack can handle 90 kW at a SpC it can definitely handle > 60 kW of regen.

This is my recollection as well. Never remember Tesla saying not to supercharge often. If the pack can handle 90 kW at a SpC it can definitely handle > 60 kW of regen.

And some of the Superchargers are 120kW.

If the battery can put out 515kW when your right foot's to the floor it should be able to take in 515kW when you left foot is to the floor, too. Especially since doing so will obviously last for only a couple of seconds whereas the right foot may be floored for much longer :)

So, regen stops just a bit under halfway between 60 and that "unmarked 120kW" mark.
Exact middle would be 85kW, so it looks like it goes up to ~80kW.

Trivia:
halfway between 0 and 15kW mark is: ~10 kW
halfway between 15 and 30W mark is: ~21 kW
halfway between 30 and 60kW mark is: ~42 kW
halfway between 60 and 120kW mark is: ~85 kW

How is the power put in the battery? I'm assuming (guessing) that the motor creates alternating current during regen....how is that AC turned into DC for the battery? There is no regen difference between single and dual chargers so the chargers can't be doing it. Or am I wrong and the motor generates DC?

How is the power put in the battery? I'm assuming (guessing) that the motor creates alternating current during regen....how is that AC turned into DC for the battery? There is no regen difference between single and dual chargers so the chargers can't be doing it. Or am I wrong and the motor generates DC?

I've seen your simple question cause flame wars in technical forums. Is a brushless motor that is being "commutated" by a processor based controller/rectifier AC or DC? At any given instant, the coils that are energized inside the motor see current in one given direction. DC. Over time, as the motor rotates, any given coil sees current in each of the two possible directions. AC. But not "sinusoidal" AC like you find in a wall. It is more square wave (really sort of a trapezoid) and is also PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) to provide throttling via voltage averaging by using the self-same motor as a giant inductor.

Whew..!

So, ignoring the nomenclature debate, think of it this way: When current is flowing from the DC traction battery pack to the Motor, the circuitry in the controller/rectifier applies that DC in the correct directions (alternating) to the correct coils (different ones at different times) to create a rotating magnetic field inside the motor that, in turn (pun intended), creates torque.

During regen, the opposite occurs. That is, the inertia of the car is transformed by the tires/wheels/gears leading back to the motor into a mechanical torque input to the motor; which means the motor is really a generator at this moment. As the innards of the motor turn via this input mechanical force, the controller/rectifier applies the correct coils output current (different ones at different times), which is alternating, always applying that current to the traction pack in the correct directions at the correct times to put current back into the traction pack in only one direction (DC), thus charging the pack.

Rephrased more simply: Circuitry takes DC from the pack and switches it around to make the motor rotate, that same circuitry can take the current that is switching around as it comes from a rotating motor (generator) during regen and apply it to the DC pack.

Make sense?