Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's this for a road trip charging backup cable+adapter option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what might be needed...some sort of extension, plus 14-30 for stove/dryer/RV connect...mostly for peace of mind, but also for a better range of options...considered the Camco 30 ft. 14-50 extension, but not sure that really covers the right set of circumstances...

This EVSEadapter is available in a 10 ft. length, with universal 14-50 socket-to-14-50/14-30 plug - $87. That plus the UMC gives you 30 ft total....a good chance to reach, and connect to, any RV charger, stove, dryer, or get around an ICE-blocked charge socket...

NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

Any roadtrippers out there care to comment if this actually solves any real-world problems? Or where it doesn't?

Getting ready for the nice weather and first big trips in the newish Model S, maybe off the supercharger path....

Last edited:
I made my own 14-50 extension cord for trips, but have yet to use it (did test it though at home for weeks to make sure it could handle the load with no issues). One thing I did to it however was remove the neutral pin on the plug side. This way it can plug into either 14-30 or 14-50 outlets. Just make sure to lower the amps on the car to 24 when plugged into a 14-30! The cord is also well labeled that it's for Tesla charging only, not for RV use. Bad things will happen to an RV if they tried to use a 14-50 extension cord with no neutral pin!

Honestly though the only things I've used so far on trips was a standard 120v outlet and the J1772 adapter. Supercharging took care of the rest. As long as you don't do a lot of driving at destinations, 120v will keep you covered and is very easy to come by. Most hotels I've been to have no problem as long as I didn't run the cord where it was a tripping hazard. For those times I also carry a 50' 12AWG extension cord. It's heavy enough to carry the 12 amps with no issues.

Yes, the only difference between a 14-30 and 14-50 is the neutral pin which isn't even used by the UMC. Also note that many older dryer outlets use the 3 PIN configuration which you'll need an adapter for.

120V does give you about 3-4 MPH. So depending on where you need to go, may or may not be enough. Depends on the situation. I've spent a 4 days in Medford driving around town and charging off 120v at the hotel. Got enough charge to easily make the trip to the Grants Pass SC on the way home. Also spent a weekend in Lincoln City. I had enough charge to drive into town a few times and go back home just from the 120v at the beach house. Same with Winatchee, WA where it was about 90 miles to the closest SC. As long as you can keep the car plugged in most of the time when not driving, you would be surprised how well much 3-4 MPH adds up. But if you do lots of driving and don't have much charging time and need to go a long distance, then you will need some 240v.

gz

I pretty much own and enjoy fabricating every kinda adapter, conversion (inc. charging 240v via 120v equipment), and a few hundred feet of various 8AWG, 10AWG, and 12AWG extension cords. However, IMO, my Quick Charge Power 50' stretched UMC along with every Tesla OEM adapter is a much simpler, elegant, and safer charging solution.

If you do not follow Tesla's charging guidelines, you are doing so at your own risk.

btw, always, always, check and continuously monitor your charging equipment (wire and more importantly every connection point) for excessive heat while home charging and ESPECIALLY in the wild

Last edited:
linkster-
Does your "stretched UMC" have the standard 14-50 on it, or a J1772 like most of the Quick Charge Power products? It seems like we need 14-50; the J1772 chargers should have a long enough cable unless ICE's, right?

And why have to wrangle 50' of cable all the time - wouldn't a 30' extension for the standard UMC be easier, don't have to wrangle it unless it is needed?

gz

My 50' UMC has unmodified Tesla ends and it accepts all Tesla OEM adapters (5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-30, 6-50, 14-50). The only difference is that is 50' long. I keep the 50 footer in the car and the standard issue UMC permanently docked in the garage. Tony can pretty much add any additional length to your UMC as requested.

Yes. J1772 cables long enough unless ICED.

The only issue with *a* 30' extension cord is the variety of adapters/conversions that is often required along with imperative manual amp setting for safe charging on a given circuit. A mistake can lead to catastrophic results which is one (of many) reasons why Tesla does NOT recommend extension cord charging.

Last edited:
linkster- all valid issues, but it seems that:
- one could be careful to charge at the correct rate
- the Tesla adapters should fit on the end of the 14-50 extension cord, just like they would fit on the 14-50 on the UMC, right?

25’ cord which may be less stiff (it is lighter, 20 pounds versus 30 for the Camco):
Conntek RL14305 RV 50-Amp 25-Feet Heavy Duty Extension Cord

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHGY930/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
linkster- all valid issues, but it seems that:
- one could be careful to charge at the correct rate
It has been pointed out that you could receive an over the air update while charging, which could reset the charge rate to the higher default.
It's also easy to forget extra steps like dialing down the charge rate if you show up late at night after a long road trip, you ask a friend or family member to plug in the car and they forget, etc.
Since the downside is a house fire, is it worth taking the risk?

I view it like backfeeding your house with a generator via a "suicide cord" - if you do it right, technically, it will work. Screw up a step and you burn down your generator, your house, or kill someone. It's illegal and stupid for a reason - the risks far outweigh the benefits.

- the Tesla adapters should fit on the end of the 14-50 extension cord, just like they would fit on the 14-50 on the UMC, right?

25’ cord which may be less stiff (it is lighter, 20 pounds versus 30 for the Camco):
Conntek RL14305 RV 50-Amp 25-Feet Heavy Duty Extension Cord

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHGY930/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No. The UMC side of the adapters is a Tesla proprietary connector, not a 14-50.

Ah...thanks, of course you are right re the connector...but put on the 14-50 adapter onto the UMC and then the extension cord would work, but just for a 14-50 (or 14-30, if I bust off the neutral lug). I see your point. Would also have to carry a hefty 110V extension (which could be as long as you like, those are way smaller gauge than 14-50 needs!) - those two would cover the typical needs, but would leave out a bunch of other options, assuming that one would have acquired adapters for those options for the UMC.

Re safety - I see this as only an "no other charging options available" solution - remember I entitled this thread "Backup", so I'm looking for the best combination of stuff to carry that I may never use...or only rarely. So I assume that I could be careful about using it...as you say, perhaps a bad assumption.

folks-
Thanks for all your info....and the other current threads...I think I've had a minor epiphany...

I expect that my road trips will NOT be visiting far-away friends for any length of time, who happen to have accessible 240v outlets, but don't live near any public chargers. More time will be on the road itself getting there...and if at a friend's, they will have a car if i can't find a charger....so...

All I need is my UMC and J1772 for charging on the road or at an RV park. I wouldn't hang at an RV park for long enough for a 30amp to be useful...so I won't need the adapter. And I'll hope that I'm not ICEd at public chargers...

For real backup, which was the idea, I'll carry a 50' 110volt cord....can use it anywhere at all, and a day visiting a friend would get me enough to get to a real charger...

If I anticipate visiting a house with dryer, and needing my car extensively while there, I can get the 14-50 ext cord and 14-30 adapter (or just break off the neutral pin on the ext cord) at that time.

Does that make sense?