Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fake Engine Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
After reading too many posts on TMC about users complaining about noise in their Tesla's, I came across this article which describes how many ICE cars have added fake engine noise to their models:
Fake Engine Noise Is the Auto Industry's Dirty Little Secret - Slashdot

The ICE makers argue that people "expect" a certain sound from their cars so they pipe in a "throaty rumble" engine sound through the speakers.

I wonder if we could get Tesla to add a "throaty rumble" sound to the media center so we could be like ICE cars?

One of the very most realistic Radio Control Scale airplanes I ever saw was a Fokker Tri-Wing with about a 6 foot wingspan. Big model airplane. Also pure electric. It had an onboard "sound chip", audio amp, and speaker. The speaker was about as big around as the fake radial engine, and placed just behind the firewall. Very pretty and detailed airplane with a good fake Radial inside the cowl, hiding the electric motor.

The sound chip was hooked into the radio channel for throttle. Therefore, the guy could put the model out by the runway with the prop sitting still, walk away, and "bump" the throttle a few times. Each bump, the prop would turn a little and then stop again. This was accompanied by a very deep "burble" engine sound making it look like the Radial was trying to start. Then, he could advance the throttle to idle after the last bump, and the prop would turn slowly and a very nice continuous rumble sound would come from the plane. Advance the throttle to taxi, then takeoff, then fly, all accompanied by the appropriate sounds.

MUCH more realistic than a model aircraft "glow" or "gas" motor. In fact, somewhat spooky realistic!

Oddly enough, the sound captured in the sound chip was that of a Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 engine from a P-51 Mustang. The guy had tried sound captures of Radial engines and they just did not sound 'correct'. How/why he even tried the Merlin V12 sound he never explained... but man, it sure was realistic!

So... do we need a huge subwoofer on the bottom of a Model S, with a "sound chip" that reads throttle??? Wouldn't that freak people out!

Another. . .

Vroom, Vroom: Companies Design Car Sounds - NBC News

I'm surprised by the passive acceptance of this tomfoolery.

And that will likely lead more and more manufacturers to adopt high-tech sound enhancement systems to remind motorists they're really driving a performance car.

When I floor it in my Roadster and feel the blood rush to the back of my head, I don't need any further reminding.

After reading too many posts on TMC about users complaining about noise in their Tesla's, I came across this article which describes how many ICE cars have added fake engine noise to their models:
Fake Engine Noise Is the Auto Industry's Dirty Little Secret - Slashdot

The ICE makers argue that people "expect" a certain sound from their cars so they pipe in a "throaty rumble" engine sound through the speakers.

I wonder if we could get Tesla to add a "throaty rumble" sound to the media center so we could be like ICE cars?

Not me, if any sound is going to be added, I want the sound of going to warp speed.

I'm not sure I would want to be reminded that I used to spend about 80% of my gas money on producing noise and heat.

If we carry this fakery any further, then jet passengers should be able to hear "vroom vroom" too (WW II dive bombers, anyone?)

Update: I just remembered that the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 has already been signed into law and mandates sonic augmentation to protect pedestrians - especially the blind.

Last edited:
I think control of the fake engine noise should be given to the owners of the car. Have a setting somewhere that lets you turn it on, and even select the kind of sound you want, and then modulate it to the throttle. But just putting it in as a default is annoying. The default sound should be the actual sound the car makes, augmentations should be optional.

For what it's worth, there is a company out there which makes hardware for electric vehicles allowing you to generate audio linked to speed, etc.

Eveess || SoundRacer

They also have some videos on their site, showing off some impressive engine sounds.

I researched this a while back, and ignoring large OEM companies such as Delphi (which makes the sound generators for the Prius), this is one of the best solutions I could find, and is affordable (~$300 iirc, but can verify).

I think control of the fake engine noise should be given to the owners of the car. Have a setting somewhere that lets you turn it on, and even select the kind of sound you want, and then modulate it to the throttle. But just putting it in as a default is annoying. The default sound should be the actual sound the car makes, augmentations should be optional.
I think the horn is a good solution.