Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not paying extra $20.000 for decent seats in a $100k car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm buying a Tesla and have the money saved.

I went to test drive an S 85 again with "current" seats and I can't imagine sitting in them for a very long time. It's like sitting on pins and even the cheapest Audi's has better seats.

Not a problem, the NEXT GEN seats are here!

Well, not really.

In order to qualify for decent seats I have to buy a P85D instead of a 85D with a $20k premium.

I have absolutely no interest in the extra horsepower/lower range the P85D offeres.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth I can't get decent seats in the new Tesla Model S 85D i want. They need to offer all models Next Gen seats right NOW! (aka. we know it's coming but I don't want to wait any longer for my new Tesla)

Perhaps give it some time...maybe, if there is enough demand, Tesla will add them the optional equipment list for the S 85 down the road a bit...or, perhaps some variation of the Gen III will have them.

... you can only buy "something that is for sale"...if Tesla is not selling the Next Gen seats in any vehicle that is not performance badged, outside of expressing your opinion to them, there is very little that you can do about it.

I had a Sig P85 with the performance seats...never experienced feeling any "pin-like" episodes with them...

Last edited:
First gen seats in the Model S are very comfortable. Haven't been in the new gen seats for a long period of time but i've sat in them and they feel like any other seat to me.
Ehh, obviously an opinion, but I don't know if I'd say that. The poor seats were a Top 5 complaint, which is why the Next Gen seats exist in the first place.

The Next Gen seats will trickle down, just like the "Performance" seats did in the past. They're production constrained now. Just give it some time. If you truly can't wait any longer, then you don't have much choice, you're stuck with the existing seats.

<snip>
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth I can't get decent seats in the new Tesla Model S 85D i want.

Both my wife and I found the seats perfectly comfortable for 2.5 years now. I'm noting that out of 9 posts you have 2 complaining about price, one complaining about potential repair costs and 6 complaining about seats...now you're perfectly welcome to post but I really think this is a case where you should maybe think about buying something else. Seems to me that, regardless of my or anyone else's opinion on seats, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I went to test drive an S 85 again with "current" seats and I can't imagine sitting in them for a very long time. It's like sitting on pins and even the cheapest Audi's has better seats.

Well, not really.

In order to qualify for decent seats I have to buy a P85D instead of a 85D with a $20k premium.

I have absolutely no interest in the extra horsepower/lower range the P85D offeres.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth I can't get decent seats in the new Tesla Model S 85D i want. They need to offer all models Next Gen seats right NOW! (aka. we know it's coming but I don't want to wait any longer for my new Tesla)

You should not buy a Tesla then

Also note that the seats are on a standard track, so you can replace them with something else yourself. (If you do, note the Tesla seats have SRS inside, so you'd want to get something compatible with that).

My wife has a bad back and it's hard for her to tell if seats will work for her until she sits in them for a couple of hours. We considered possibly putting in some Volvo seats (which she knew worked) if the Model S seats didn't. Fortunately for us, the Model S seats are fine for her.

Well, not really.

We have almost 70,000 miles on Tesla Model S standard seats, including a 5,000 mile road trip.
I found the seats very comfortable.

And yes, the new seats in the P85D or nicer than any car seat, or lazy-boy for that matter, than I have ever experienced.
That takes nothing away from the standard seats being very comfortable IMO.

Yes it sounds like the OP would not be happy with a Tesla. Best not to buy one then.

My wife and I are very pleased with the seats in our 2013 Model S. We have done 7 hour trips in them. Are they as good as they could be? No. But they are fine for us. I'm sure the new Next Gen seats are better. Glad to see Tesla continuing to make improvements and responding to customer concerns!

You might want to review what you wrote and reflect on how it comes across to those who read it.

Last edited:
Had my Model S85 for 10 month. I find the seats comfortable. I did a test drive in the P85D. The seat were a little more pleasing but not worth the extra $. Back seats with the high headrest I did not. like.

P1040593.JPG
P1040598.JPG

Both my wife and I found the seats perfectly comfortable for 2.5 years now. I'm noting that out of 9 posts you have 2 complaining about price, one complaining about potential repair costs and 6 complaining about seats...now you're perfectly welcome to post but I really think this is a case where you should maybe think about buying something else. Seems to me that, regardless of my or anyone else's opinion on seats, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Are you saying I will be disappointed in a Tesla for commenting on the high repair cost and sub-standard (IMO) seats in other threads? That is hardly fair as I think many agree with me on this. I love all the Telsa enthusiasm as much as everyone else, but nothing is perfect and can improve with time.

Me ordering a car with current seats because Next Gen is not an option yet, getting delivery in 4-5 months when the next gen seats might have been an option for some time, is also (in my humble opinion) a valid complaint.

Besides, the guy from Tesla told me they did hear a lot of concerns about the seats on test drives, so it does have some kind of validity.

- - - Updated - - -

Had my Model S85 for 10 month. I find the seats comfortable. I did a test drive in the P85D. The seat were a little more pleasing but not worth the extra $.

Do you mean not worth $2000 from current leather to next gen leather or trading in your S85 for a P85D ?

OP should wait it out like I am. I'm confident TM would not have named the seats "Next Generation" if they planned to permanently restrict the option to only Performance MS. They would have called them Performance Plus or something in the same marketing vein. I told a TM rep who called to ask why I was waiting I didn't think they would want future non-P owners to refer to their seats as "Last Generation", so I was confident the option would "soon" be extended across the line. In fact, Elon Musk in one of the recent past quarterly report calls mentioned the "take rate" for options was down somewhat. Anyone wanting to up that rate wouldn't restrict a popular, and no doubt profitable, option. I think it's probably either a supply or a change in supplier problem which will be corrected ASAP.

Are you saying I will be disappointed in a Tesla for commenting on the high repair cost and sub-standard (IMO) seats in other threads? That is hardly fair as I think many agree with me on this. I love all the Telsa enthusiasm as much as everyone else, but nothing is perfect and can improve with time.

I'm saying that there's a number of things you seem vociferously unhappy about and I'd advise you not to buy the car until you feel more comfortable with it. Better to put off a purchase rather than buy something where you know you're going to be disappointed.

OP should wait it out like I am. I'm confident TM would not have named the seats "Next Generation" if they planned to permanently restrict the option to only Performance MS.

Yeah, I'm 100% with you here, but waiting for Tesla to add the next gen option in an unknown amount of weeks/months is nerve-racking, hence the thread.

I would rather have them add the option and then add the extra weeks/months to the expected delivery date so we could make an informed purchase decision.

Have ~45K miles logged on my S85 including a couple of 1K+ mile road trips and find the seats quite good. My wife, who has a bad back, agrees and will fall asleep on a trip of any meaningful distance. Last week, I got a P85D loaner with my S85 was being serviced--certainly more strongly bolstered, as as I don't spend my days at the track taking high-G turns, I actually like my original seats better and think they would be more comfortable for long-haul trips.

O

They look and feel like softer racing seats. I doubt that the age of the P85D buyer is going to like them.

Interesting.

The Tesla rep, who btw. is a young man, told me he thinks the Next Gen seats are much more comfortable than the current gen. My local Tesla branch does not have the a car with Next Gen seats on display yet so I haven't tried them myself, but was under the impression they are much softer and generally of higher quality.

Well they are better quality, but quality and comfort are two different things. I found them firm and not comfortable.....they are built for a fast sports like car but for the average Model S owner, my guess is they will not go over very well. Now that I have sat and ridden in them I would not order them.