Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Warns Of Fracking Dangers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a perfect time to highlight all of the benefits EVs offer:

1. Zero cost to run/charge with Superchargers, or at home with solar/wind.
2. When charging from the grid, EVs are less expensive to run than ICE cars, even with the current low average price of fuel.
3. Fast acceleration, Ferrari fast (with the Tesla Model S P85D).
4. No oil filters, oil, or transmission maintenance.
5. Wireless charging, which Tesla might introduce (e.g. such as by partnering with Plugless Power, Learn More - Plugless Power).
6. No emissions. Runners beside the road will thank you.
7. Silent drive.
8. No contributions to hostile governments and other organizations through oil revenue.
9. More storage space with the Tesla Model S frunk. No other car has this.

I'm sure there are other benefits :biggrin:.

I thought the TMC was the above board forum out of the two but it's becoming obvious its not. I know they reserve the right to edit etc. but for those wondering what I am talking about, my thread title was exactly the same as the media titles which read......

ELON MUSK WARNS FRACKING THREATENS EV/TESLA MOVEMENT.

Councidentally, I placed an order on a red P85D. I have to admit when I see CENSORSHIP like this it makes me wonder what I just did and leaves a very sour feeling in my stomach.

FUD for what it is

I thought the TMC was the above board forum out of the two but it's becoming obvious its not. I know they reserve the right to edit etc. but for those wondering what I am talking about, my thread title was exactly the same as the media titles which read......

Councidentally, I placed an order on a red P85D. I have to admit when I see CENSORSHIP like this it makes me wonder what I just did and leaves a very sour feeling in my stomach.

So, yea the headline said that, but Elon did not, rather, he said the danger in fracking is that it increases the accessible amount of hydrocarbons that we can burn and therefore further threatens the potential for climate change and that by increasing the supply it decreases financial pressure as a reason to go to sustainable transport, so it's even more important to make EV's compelling for more just the "expensive gas" reason.

So if you wanted to tweek interest by replicating a FUD headline vs add to a factual discussion, mission accomplished.
But I would'nt worry about the censors.

By the thanks for pointing to yet another incredible news source for info on Tesla!

The media article headline you quoted did not accurately represent what Elon said. The edited thread title is an improvement.

Your recent order of a P85D -- and congratulations on that wise choice -- has no meaningful relationship to a TMC moderator editing the title of this thread.

...my thread title was exactly the same as the media titles which read......

Fracking has been going on for years. What does it have to do with very recent oil price collapse?

I thought the Saudis (OPEC) decided to arbitrarily collapse prices as a means to teach Russia a much needed lesson and also to help limit the oil incentive to rebels in Af-Iranistan.
--

Lucly, to me, it's a bit of a "slippery slope" when you object (in the name of censorship) to an item or article which is obviously incorrect...the moral side of me that abhors censorship would take a back seat to correcting an obviously incorrect article...leaving an article like this uncorrected muddies the waters of truth...

Fracking has been going on for years. What does it have to do with very recent oil price collapse?

It is related to the recent oil price drop because it is one of the contributors to the recent increase in oil production which has caused an oversupply which then caused a price decrease. However, as is often the case, there are multiple factors that have caused the price decrease. Fracking is only one of them.

I share Elon's concern about fracking.

It is not "censorship" to correct a clearly wrong and misleading thread title. (FWIW I'm not the mod who changed it.)

A couple years ago, U.S. electricity was 43% coal. Then, in '12, fracking helped take the twice as carbon-intense fuel down to 37% of our mix. From abut 4,000TWH of U.S. consumption, a good 120 million tons of CO2 fell off our emissions. That's "millions of tons", not the "thousands of pounds" you often see people and businesses cheer about. I think of that magnitude, before weighing how much to take the fight to fracking. The practical effect of fracking bans, in many areas, would be to increase coal consumption, not just doubling the CO2, but bringing out the mercury along with it (the same stuff the Supreme Court recently announced it might re-consider allowing).

Electric cars going from gasoline, to natural gas fired electricity, achieve a similar "cut in half". Another reason that, in light of the progress being made, I think anti-frack fervor can be short sighted. Elon was talking about what it is doing in a vacuum, without the moving parts.