Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the wall connector portable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen someone modify the silver wall connector and add a 13A plug in the other end function like those Mennekes mobile portable charger and charging at harbour city today.

Just wondering would it get more km per hour of charging compare to the Mennekes' if both are plugged in the same 13A power socket?

I also modified mine but hardly use it.

You can set the jumpers of the wall connector to take 10A or 16A, if you set them to take 16A and set the limit of current to 15A in your car's touch screeen, you will get 15A. I never try 15A, but I know a guy charging @ 15A without any problem so far. I think this is kinda danger if you forget to switch the charge limit to 15A (say after u use a 32A elsewhere) you will burn the fuse...

Of course, if you set the jumper to take 10A, it will be just like the Mennekes charger.

I also modified mine but hardly use it.

You can set the jumpers of the wall connector to take 10A or 16A, if you set them to take 16A and set the limit of current to 15A in your car's touch screeen, you will get 15A. I never try 15A, but I know a guy charging @ 15A without any problem so far. I think this is kinda danger if you forget to switch the charge limit to 15A (say after u use a 32A elsewhere) you will burn the fuse...

Of course, if you set the jumper to take 10A, it will be just like the Mennekes charger.

Woah, please don't do that. I don't like to use the 'f' word on these forums, but pushing those sockets, and the wiring behind them, may just burn someone.

The BS1363 plugs and sockets are rated at 13A. While the circuit, and breaker behind, are *probably* rated for 16A peak, that is not true in all cases, and that is *peak* load, not continuous.

Bottom line: those BS1363 sockets are designed to run kettles, not charge electric cars. I would suggest 10A or 13A maximum. Never, ever, more.