Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa Roadside Assistance - double blowout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As luck would have it I was traveling from Birmingham last night and due to traffic was rerouted home via the A404 and some back roads through Bracknell to Windlesham (home). Just north of Warfield both passenger side tires went flat, I had to have run over something and pulled into a very nice little country pub and called Tesla. Spent a few minutes looking for the 800 number and my call was answered straight away around 1930 (they didn't have the means of locating the car via GPS?) , it took the recovery truck until 2145 to collect the car. Tesla and the recovery driver called every 20 minutes or so to give me an update. Good service.

Car went to Drayton, my wife collected me (only 20 minutes from the house) I enjoyed a nice dinner, a few pints and some great chat at the local. Both the expat Canadian and the electric call stirred them up a bit!

I do wonder if I should carry an inflation kit, anyone else have one?

Gary

Glad you are OK, could have been nasty at speed.

I've had them in my previous cars, but never needed them. Bear in mind they aren't a proper repair, and you are supposed to drive cautiously to a tyre place straight away and get it fixed properly. IOW it would save you waiting for a recovery, but you'd still have a detour on your hands unlike a proper spare wheel.

This is the text from my old car's manual:

Use of the aerosol does not constitute a permanent repair, but is designed to allow the car to be driven to the nearest tyre repair facility. At the earliest opportunity, the tyre should be either professionally repaired or replaced dependent on the severity of the damage.
• Until the tyre is repaired or replaced, the car should be driven in a moderate manner, not exceeding 30mph (45 km/h).
• Do not use the aerosol for large holes or repairs, or when the tyre sidewall has been damaged, or if the tyre has been displaced from the rim.
• For safety reasons, the aerosol should at all times be carried only in the designated secure stowage position. Never carry loose in the passenger compartment.

As expected, If you check the Model S Quick Guide (available on your Dashboard)

"Warning: Do not use any tire sealant other than the type provided in a Tesla tire repair kit. Other types can cause tire pressure sensors to malfunction. If your Model S did not include a tire repair kit, you can purchase one from Tesla Motors."

However the guide also says "Note: In some cases, you can temporarily repair small tire punctures (under 6 mm) using an optional tire repair kit available from Tesla. This allows you to slowly drive Model S to Tesla or to a nearby tire repair facility (see Temporary Tire Repair)." and there is not a "Temporary Tire Repair" section :)

Collected the car today, thanks Phil for collecting me at West Drayton station and sharing some pilot stories! I purchased a Tesla tire repair kit 40,00 just in case. My tires looked like a knife went right across them, wide open. Gary

With Tesla's kit you have control on the pressure added. With aerosol bottles that cost 6 euros here you don't know how much pressure you get. Tesla kit is $50 in US:

Tesla Gear Shop Tire Repair Kit

Anyone know if this "Other types can cause tire pressure sensors to malfunction" is really true?

My understanding is water based ones are OK. Though I wouldn't risk it given how cheap the Tesla one is relative to the car.

Personally I'm skeptical, and wouldn't bother with the Tesla one unless you need a tyre pump. I've tried the aerosols on all sorts of things, from cars, trailers even my ride-on mower... best case 10% success.

So in my view, it's OK for the sort of puncture where you come out in the morning to a flat, but in a case where you hit road debris and suffer a pretty quick loss it's not going to work.

I've used water+latex based sealants in my mountain bikes for years, and they are great for thorns and the like, but cut the tyre and you can forget it.