Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Lerxt

Do you notice any difference in the panels between the panels that are covered with xpel and the ones without? Do they get dirty faster, does dust or rain stick to it differently etc?

I did both. I went to DCC story and got full paint protection as well as expel ultimate on the frunk bonnet, the front bumper and the rear bumper. It cost $16k and looks great.

I did both. I went to DCC story and got full paint protection as well as expel ultimate on the frunk bonnet, the front bumper and the rear bumper. It cost $16k and looks great.

do you mean coating plus partial xpel cover for 16k? That is cheap. They quote 10k for coating only.

Is it easy to wash the car with xpel?

How you compare the hydrophobic performance for coating and xpel?

I use pomponazzi because
1. It protect all the glass which non of the other coating can not do
2. Can protect small stone chip at 150km
3. Will last for 3 years (My has lasted over 15 months and still going strong)

I am deciding between pomponazzi and full xpel ultimate wrap. People seems to have good reviews on xpel on rock chips. Haven't heard any reviews from pomponazzi and worry that it's over promised.

DCC's coating does protect the windows if you want it. The problem can be that it interferes with the wipers after a while.
No paint protection give any real protection from stone chips.

after 15 months after coating the windscreen is still OK with the wipers.

you are wrong on the stone chips If 880xx dose not protect you from stone chips they I buy you a car.
you can see my bumper next time 100s of stones hitting my car from the ferrari guys in my SMD and not 1 chip on my car.

I had my car coated by Don of pomponazzi before I took delivery.
Noticed a few scratches near the door handles recently so took the car back for touch up, Don did his magic and scratches vanished.
Very happy with Don's service and highly recommend it.
Car is now almost 2 months and looks as good as new.

you are wrong on the stone chips If 880xx dose not protect you from stone chips they I buy you a car.
you can see my bumper next time 100s of stones hitting my car from the ferrari guys in my SMD and not 1 chip on my car.

Any one tried the 3M Paint Defender Spray? Seems to be a cheaper alternative paint protection.

http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html

Just applied this:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m2116-synthetic-sealant-20-16oz/

Significantly cheaper and the reviews are exceptional!

As this is the professional series I sourced it through Amazon in the US and applied it with their foam pads, the results are magnificent.

The other night under streetlight it looked like it was wet!

I had my car coated by Don of pomponazzi before I took delivery.
Noticed a few scratches near the door handles recently so took the car back for touch up, Don did his magic and scratches vanished.
Very happy with Don's service and highly recommend it.
Car is now almost 2 months and looks as good as new.
thats good to hear, they do have good after service.

- - - Updated - - -

Just applied this:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m2116-synthetic-sealant-20-16oz/

Significantly cheaper and the reviews are exceptional!

As this is the professional series I sourced it through Amazon in the US and applied it with their foam pads, the results are magnificent.

The other night under streetlight it looked like it was wet!

that cool stuff too, I tried it before and after so many years of DIY now I can not be ass to DIY any more just take too much time over 7 hours.

Protection from (small) stone chips < 150km/h? Did they put this awesome statement on their product/service ?
I saw some of the good finishing cars on 880xx when having my car washed @their shop. I think the coating was excellent. Considering to get my ordered White 85D coated with 880xx. It would be a good value if their promising protection (w/o affecting original paint) last 3 yrs.
When my car closed to delivery (ETA Sep), hope I can find some Tesla owners w/880xx service to share their beautiful model S before my final decision(880xx / Clear Bar wrap, Xpel)

I will get the car at end of March
I would like to have coating for the car
Pomponazzi sounds great
anyone try this before? really can protect small stone chip at 150km?

yes it can
Yesterday SMD I was behind a M3 with PSS tyres which is a nightmare to follower becouse they will 100% flick stones on to your car and I had loads and not 1 scratch on the car, again hands down on the coating.