Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

after market wheels lug nuts, forged aluminum, steel or stainless steel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out the model s lug nuts torque is 129 lb-ft per tesla's specs. I took my car in for other things but they checked my wheel and told me my lugs are under torque. I am using forged aluminum lugs, and torque them to 85 lb-ft, I am really worry since I don't think aluminum lugs can handle 129 lb-ft.

Some of us have expensive wheels, what lug nuts do you guys use? I am switching them back to forged stainless steel and torque them to tesla's specs.

2 years/44,000 miles here with 21 Turbines and Ronal 20s. I do tighten the stainless Gorillas on the Ronals less than the OEM covered lugnuts since the tapered seat area is reduced. Unfortunately, I don't have any hard numbers since I never use a torque wrench/stick on lugnuts.

Last edited:
Linkster, I have tapered seat also, and I don't think that should change the specs. The 129 ft lb torque is to pre tension the studs, i am guessing electric car has high torque which is different than gasoline cars where you torque it at 70 to 85 ft lb. I just replaced all my lug nuts to high strength stainless steel and torque it to 129 ft lb.

I bought a new 1/2" torque wrench and I have to put my body weight to torque the bolts. They are tight, and if you are using a 3/8" wrench, there is no way you can torque it to 129 ft lb.