Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

not cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kiukku

Feb 12, 2014
HK
firstly the Model S is an amazing car and I have been proud to have it since October.

However, my patience is starting to wear thin:
- Day after delivery parking sensors stopped working. This was fixed, but first Tesla was trying to push back on when they had availability on their service center. Seriously? when i get delivery of something i expect it to be working.
- after shutting down the car the compressor/cooling fan makes a whirring/squeaking noise (not every time). having read posts and comments it seems that this is something that is happening to a few others as well. have not yet mentioned this to Tesla service
- when breaking to full stop at low speeds the breaks make a squeaking noise. again seems that something like this is happening not only to my car. telsa has looked into this, but couldn't fully get rid of the problem
- when parking and turning the wheels there is also a lot of noise in the steering. Tesla has taken a look at this and reduced the noise, but not fully. this is embarrassing.
- most recently have had a couple of times when the side mirrors have not opened as I get into the car and had to open them manually (by pressing the button)
- for some time my Tesla app from my phone hasn't connected to the car
- today my wife said that the car was driving, but all the screens were blank.

that's a lot of problems (and they seem to be getting progressively worse) for a car that is less than 4 months old. have others had similar issues or have I just been unlucky? Thoughts on how to approach this with Tesla?

thanks a lot

Sounds like you got a lemon car. Sorry to see a long list of problems hope every thing gets fixed.

For delivery of most car in HK they never check the car fully and always say if any problems give us a list and we will fix it.
this has happened to all my 5 cars and I had much more.

For the breaks they can try and chamfer the pads, sometime the pads and disk edge will hit and make a mice sound.

Suggest you call Tesla and ask to be escalated to a Service Manager. Explain your problems in writing, and get them to address them. They will.

From your list of problems, my guesses are:

* parking sensors: Just need fixing/replacing
* fan noise: Tesla should be able to address this if it abnormal
* squealing brakes: New brakes need some time to bed down and stop this. In particular, if you park outside in the rain, this can occur. It is particular bad for EVs because the brakes are used so infrequently, and rarely at high speed. That said, after 4 months (presumably you have been driving the car, and not just leaving it in the garage), they should have had time to bed down. With my Roadster, it took about 2 months - the solution in my case was to drive the car fast and then stand on the brakes a few times - that did the trick and they've been quiet ever since.
* side mirrors: No idea.
* App/Blank Screens: Sounds like no 3G signal.

So sorry to hear that you're having so many issues. I would call Tesla US. They'll react.

On the brakes, yes, they take quite some time to seat due to the regen. A suggestion I read on another thread is to use them somewhat aggressively for a while, not relying on regen, so that they break in more quickly. I have had mine for slightly under 4 months and the squeak is going away. I only have it when coming to a stop under mild breaking now. So it appears that it will dissipate.

Side mirrors sounds like a timing issue when unlocking and opening. The SW sequence might be skipping a step due other traffic/commands being sent at the same time, causing a data collision.

The blank screens is very odd. It is normal for them to blank if you reboot them while driving: the car will drive normally during this. But it takes a conscious step to hold the buttons long enough to initiate. Not something that I would think could be done without realising you are doing it.

Good luck. I hope you can recitify your issues quickly. So frustrating to buy such an exciting toy, spend so much money, and then have it not be up to expectations. I will say that US Tesla service has been unbelievably responsive and accommodating to any issue that I have had. I hope they're as good for you in HK.

I think all of us got an email and was asked to fill a survey on delivery service, I gave them 7 out of 10, then I got a call. I told them over the phone a couple of issues, though not as serious as @kiukku described, that I think surely wasn't too difficult for them to do better. My right side window got an adjustment issue if I were 6'3" it won't fit because it reached its maximum travel, there were other little things like uneven gap on a panel which I had to go back and enjoy their "ice cream".

I still have ongoing issue with 3G signal which I have to reboot the computer from time to time (as frequent as everyday) as this didn't affect my driving I really don't want to leave the car in their shop. There are also scary warning alerts like "unable to start the car", front sensors told me to STOP while there was nothing in front etc....

I think all in all this is like iPhone 3G and no way we could expect perfection, my expectation is continuous improvement and a good attitude at service quality.

As others have mentioned above best strategy would be documenting your experience, writing to them, keep good records/photos if possible. If they don't reply in writing you write to them recording their verbal commitments. At the end of the day there must be an internal performance appraisal to judge how the service team has done. You could also use these written records to escalate your actions to Tesla US if .... things don't get fixed.

On the squeaky brakes - mine became infrequent after 6 months, but it took about 10 months to get totally quiet. I tried the sudden stop a bunch of times, but in the end it just needed time.

However, I haven't heard a squeak in over a year now, even during rain.

There is definitely a run-in period required for large brakes like this.

On the squeaky brakes - mine became infrequent after 6 months, but it took about 10 months to get totally quiet. I tried the sudden stop a bunch of times, but in the end it just needed time.

However, I haven't heard a squeak in over a year now, even during rain.

There is definitely a run-in period required for large brakes like this.

guys you can try this to bed in the disk and pas quickly, this has world for me so far.
Instructions for bedding in your brakes

Kiukku,

I got my car around the same time as yourself. Service center has been super responsive for me.
Echoing Mark, if you can provide them a list, preferably via email before you go in, they can better prepared to address the problems.

Parking sensors - I know if they are disconnected you will get a warning messages. So if they aren't working then probably a software problem versus a connection problem.
AC and cooling noise - many threads on this. There is a service bulletin out there to solve particular car issues. I had this noise and it was fixed first time. I also noticed in the cooler weather the coolant pump comes on less frequently.

Brakes - others have discussed this above. The thread on bedding your brakes is valuable for all cars.

Steering rack noise - Easy fix. I didn't notice this noise until after a couple of months. Apparently a few cars in our batch were affected by this issue but it is on a car by car basis. There is a service bulletin on this item.

Other items - no experience with these type of issues.

Good luck.