Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you slept in your car?.... be honest...

Have you slept in your car?

• Yep... proudly and planned on it :)

Votes: 67 41.1%
  • Well... it was supposed to just be a quick nap...

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 70 42.9%
  • I don't do road trips in my Tesla...

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on it. Evidently a twin blow up mattress fits nicely in back. I plan on putting something down under the mattress so that the lip by the fold down seats isn't noticeable. I'm talking about up in the mountains middle of no where though. I would feel a little cheap sleeping in a $100k car somewhere in town. Gota come up with the payment money somewhere though!

Spending 100,000 on a car and then sleeping in it is absolutely ludicrous. Were you at least at a campground getting a charge? Oh well to each his own. Was it comfortable?

I'm usually camping... and I usually have a tent... but it usually doesn't take very long to discover that the car is heated... and the tent is not :rolleyes:

The car is surprisingly comfortable...

Reactions: chjch
Sure. Planned. Road trip down the California coast. Slept in the back at the Oxnard SuperCharger. Not very comfortable because I hadn't really brought anything beyond a sleeping bag and a pillow -- you really need something in the way of padding and support to make a long enough flat area in the back. Certainly a successful feasibility check though.

In any case, I didn't get there until around midnight, and a security guard woke me up a bit before 5AM shining a light in my face. Nobody else anywhere near all night. Left shortly thereafter as it seemed unlikely I would get back to sleep. The spot is right by the freeway, so it was a dubious sleeping spot anyway. If I were going to do it again I'd prepare better and choose a more pleasant location.

I took a trip along the Northern CA/OR coast a couple of years ago and slept in a couple of campgrounds. I had a tent, but not setting it up (and not packing up a wet tent the next morning) was easier.

The rear is not flat so it's not that comfortable without preparation; but there's a thread on this and you can cut some foam or get a mattress as RyanT mentioned. Which we have done, but haven't used yet - in September we took a long trip and did a lot of camping, but with two of us we always ended up in the tent instead of the car.

Last week in the MGM grands parking lot while charging, 8 hrs before meeting Mr Musk and Jerome...... It was damn comfy. I was warm and toasty in my sleeping bag. had my snacks, entertainment (ipad with netflix), pillow and heat, and unlimited power from a J1772. only feature I did not have was the commando commode......

Tinted windows are a Must if you do this regularally. Enough people stare at a Model S... But even with darker tints, and blocking people from seeing in, light still gets through. Window shades such as what EV Annex sells are a Must. I also must say, if you get your windows tinted, get the trunk window tinted to it's LEGAL MAXIMUM!

Last edited:
Yes, I've slept in my Model S. I've not bothered keeping track of exactly when, but I've done it over a 1/2 dozen times. As others have noted, window shades (including the Pano roof) are a must for sound sleeping.

Last edited:
Why the assertion, that I have also seen before, previous to this thread, that sleeping in an expensive car is ludicrous or absurd? You sleep n your house, right? How much did it cost? It's not about the price of anything, it's what you value.
ever been camping? Get a room? Fine, but I prefer to spend my free time where no room exists. Sleeping in a $100k car seems far preferable to sleeping in a $12k one !:smile: I fully intend to slumber comfortably in my Model X. Big, flat, fold down area please, Elon.

I've had a memory foam mattress topper on my living room floor since my oldest was born. Has been a great napping pad for them. It's Queen sized and was cheap. I've finally grown tired of it in the living room, now that the boys are past the napping stage (Now when they fall asleep, I get a mental brake and shove them in there beds!) So since it's a queen, I will be cutting it to fit my model S. Using the "scraps" to pad up where the bad seat "hump" is, and hot gluing that together. I will use a old white oversize sheet I have from my parents motel to make a good fit custom protector for it. And there we go! Custom Cut memory foam Tesla Model S Mattress!

What exactly does the price of a car have to do with sleeping in the car? Yes I paid over $100k for my car. So what! I've slept with 4 people in the car twice! It was roomy and comfy. (Two adults and two kids 6&8 at the time)

the first time it happened we took a spontaneous road trip to Portland or and when we got there there were not ANY rooms available didn't matter for how much nada. So we bought all the stuff blankets and memory foam and plugged in at the super charger in Woodburn OR and went to sleep. (A/C ran all night) and I will say that it was more comfy than many hotel rooms.

Last edited:
Yep, have slept in the back twice.

1st time was because I could not find correct hotel that had 14-50 outlet for charging, so back-up plan was to bunk down @ next RV Park.
2nd night was because owner of selected RV Park in Northern Alabama would not allow allow EVs (cars), so I made it to next RV Park location, arrived vary late, and just bunked out in back.

I had planned on this as an Option, had both a stiff piece of cardboard for the hump and a foam pad, nice sleeping bag, a big pillow and sleeping mask.

Slept with my wife in the back once at a KOA. Brought an air mattress and pillows. It was comfortable enough for one night. Charging at the KOA was my only option in northwest Wisconsin.

Last edited:
LaCrosse and Hamilton are almost too quiet. Plug in, jump in the back and instant sleep nonetheless. In the wee hours its always a question which is more empty: the Tesla battery or my personal batt?

I try to avoid camping at hotel sponsored SpCs, but without complete success.

Anyone already compiled # of their MS sleepovers? Seems to cry out for (yet another) TMC listing. :rolleyes:
--

[ -18*C @ 7400 ft winter returns]