Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the 'rear seat' call today... Will NG rears fit carseats ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read the 17 page thread and am still somewhat undecided on whether to go with the NG rears as ordered, or fall back to the standard seats. Told the sales rep I'd make up my mind within 48 hours... Any further wisdom to impart?

In any case, I have a 10 month old and 3.5 year old. The 3.5 year old will probably fit into the jump seats soon so that's no big deal, but does anyone know whether there's any problem generally fitting car seats into the NG rear seats? That might help make the decision for me.

I can answer this.
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

The booster seats work just fine. The rear facing seats will work fine as well. This convertible seat that rides a little higher is against the upper headrest that kinda of moves out a little as you can see in the pic, but we tightened it down and its working just fine. The issue with the booster seat is that it can be a little difficult to buckle. Thing is that I test drove the p85+ without the next gen seats and it was equally as hard to buckle.

Edit. Sorry. The pics were corrected with the proper rotation but posting it every time it comes up sideways.

In any case, I have a 10 month old and 3.5 year old. The 3.5 year old will probably fit into the jump seats soon so that's no big deal, but does anyone know whether there's any problem generally fitting car seats into the NG rear seats? That might help make the decision for me.

I have a 1.5 year old and a 4 year old and didn't anticipate something about the jump seats. My 4 year old won't sit back there by herself because she doesn't feel part of the action ("why does HE get to sit up there with you and I have to go way back there?"). At the same time, the little guy gets fired up when she's out of his sight in the back. Of course others probably have 3.5-4 year olds who are happy to get the rear view no matter what! And when both of mine are of age/size I expect that will go away to some extent. Just a consideration if you're banking on the jumpers to save the day. :)

@ Fezzik- thanks so much for the pics!!
I've had my P85D for about 2 weeks now and have the next gen rears coming 'soon'. Your pics really helped with my decision to keep them as opposed to passing up on them

2,4 and 5 year olds... The 4 and 5 enjoy the rear facing , but will sometimes want to sit with the 2 y/o... So I'll have seats available for them as well.

No problem. I just finished a 4 hour trip with the kiddos last weekend. 6,5,3,1 year old. The 6 and 5 love the jump seats and the 3 year old is mad she cant sit back there. The one year old is delegated purely to the larger 5 point harness seat.

Sundoc, where at in Ontario are you located?

The booster seats work just fine. The rear facing seats will work fine as well. This convertible seat that rides a little higher is against the upper headrest that kinda of moves out a little as you can see in the pic, but we tightened it down and its working just fine. The issue with the booster seat is that it can be a little difficult to buckle. Thing is that I test drove the p85+ without the next gen seats and it was equally as hard to buckle.

Edit. Sorry. The pics were corrected with the proper rotation but posting it every time it comes up sideways.

I bought a 3" belt extension that solved the booster seat problem. They sell them on eBay among other places.

During a test drive session, my son (20yrs) and I sat in a P85D with front and rear NG's; him in back, me in front. Aesthetically, neck safety, and maxed resale value I would get the NG's. functionality looks to be the same in many regards. The NG seats might make wide child seats awkward as if they aren't already. I just think in the end you would prefer the NG's.

sorry for the non-of-my-business, but why would you get such a powerful motored car if you would often have kids in the with you? Don't know how long you might keep the car, but as they get old enough or with other passengers they would more appreciate the added neck support that the NG's provide. Sometimes having an option is worse than no option at all. Regards.

I bought a 3" belt extension that solved the booster seat problem. They sell them on eBay among other places.

Mind posting a link to which one you bought?

We are planning a to take a trip to toronto MAYBE with the tesla. Problem is that there is not a good supercharger yet between west MI and detroit. If they get that one on the other side of windsor we may try it. My in-laws live in Richmond Hill. My wife used to live a block from the Eaton centere

Which one did you get? I've looked at a few and couldn't really decide.

On a plane about to take off. I first bought one with a hard wire extension. Didn't like that. The one in using uses the same nylon strap material. It was from a seller on eBay. I tried to find one that had one of the safety certifications. Sorry don't remember off the top of my head. I can look later after I land :) it's different than the one posted above.

Mind posting a link to which one you bought?

We are planning a to take a trip to toronto MAYBE with the tesla. Problem is that there is not a good supercharger yet between west MI and detroit. If they get that one on the other side of windsor we may try it. My in-laws live in Richmond Hill. My wife used to live a block from the Eaton centere

I got mine from this company: Tesla Car Seat Belt Extension
Had it for more than a year, been working great.

sorry for the non-of-my-business, but why would you get such a powerful motored car if you would often have kids in the with you? Don't know how long you might keep the car, but as they get old enough or with other passengers they would more appreciate the added neck support that the NG's provide. Sometimes having an option is worse than no option at all. Regards.
Same reason a parent might watch an R-rated movie after the kids go to bed, or any number of other exceedingly-common situations.

Does that bolster stick into your child's back when in the booster seat? It looks awkwardly-placed. Like an earlier commenter, I'm also interested if the center-position LATCH has returned?

On a plane about to take off. I first bought one with a hard wire extension. Didn't like that. The one in using uses the same nylon strap material. It was from a seller on eBay. I tried to find one that had one of the safety certifications. Sorry don't remember off the top of my head. I can look later after I land :) it's different than the one posted above.

Thanks for replying, safe travels and please let me know which one you got when you get a chance.