Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors need replacement but only since 6.1 (2.2.113) failed to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Quick background: on my one-month old P85D which had no problems until now, I attempted to upgrade from 6.1 (2.2.0.92) to 6.1 (2.2.113) yesterday afternoon.
The upgrade failed, although the software version does show the latest (2.2.113), and immediately after the update I got a Park Assist failure message (contact Tesla Service).

After speaking to Tesla Ownership and my local SC, they pushed the update again last night. Unfortunately it failed once again and still shows the Park Assist failure (still on 2.2.113).

This morning I spoke to the SC again, and after analyzing some logs, they said that the parking sensors were defective and the upgrade was failing because the firmware couldn't communicate to them.
However until this failed SW update attempt, nothing was wrong and Park Assist was working just fine. The SC now says I need to get my parking sensors replaced.

So I'm curious: does the SC know what they're doing and should I let them mess with the hardware, or did the update really screw it up (and more importantly, can it be fixed with just another SW update)?

Mods - please merge my other post with this one?

MarcG, not sure if I'm in exact same boat as you since my 2nd 6.1 firmware upgrade did go through and the parking sensors were working for about 24 hours before failing, but does seem like more than coincidence.

Ok I just spoke to the Burlingame service center, and after looking at my logs they confirmed the following issue has been happening to several others:

Apparently, if we "interrupt" the update by checking our mobile app or opening the door, the firmware doesn't get properly installed and Park Assist fails to update. So, it's all our fault...

There you have it. If you have (or have had) the issue, please confirm whether you "interrupted" the update before it was completed.

And by the way, they tried to push the update to my car again but didn't succeed, so I have to take it in to the SC now. Great.

This happened to my P85D after I upgraded to the last update before 6.1. No indicator on my dash saying "park assist failure" but sensors are completely gone and chime settings are nowhere to be found. Have an appointment in Rocklin, Ca this Saturday to get it fixed. Will post updates when I get them.

UPDATE: I stopped by the SC yesterday and they setup the car so that the update can be pushed out to it again.
I scheduled it for 1am so that there was not chance of interrupting it, and this time it went through (and Park Assist works again now):

IMG_6346.jpg

Quick background: on my one-month old P85D which had no problems until now, I attempted to upgrade from 6.1 (2.2.0.92) to 6.1 (2.2.113) yesterday afternoon.
The upgrade failed, although the software version does show the latest (2.2.113), and immediately after the update I got a Park Assist failure message (contact Tesla Service).

After speaking to Tesla Ownership and my local SC, they pushed the update again last night. Unfortunately it failed once again and still shows the Park Assist failure (still on 2.2.113).

This morning I spoke to the SC again, and after analyzing some logs, they said that the parking sensors were defective and the upgrade was failing because the firmware couldn't communicate to them.
However until this failed SW update attempt, nothing was wrong and Park Assist was working just fine. The SC now says I need to get my parking sensors replaced.

So I'm curious: does the SC know what they're doing and should I let them mess with the hardware, or did the update really screw it up (and more importantly, can it be fixed with just another SW update)?

Exact same issue with my update early this morning. S 85 VIN 60746.

I did not "disturb" it. Both the car and Visible Tesla say that 2.2.113 is installed, but I got the Park Assist Disabled message as soon as I sat down in the car.

I did both reboots (scroll wheels and buttons) but no help. Called Service, and he will ask Scottsdale to call me. We discussed the fact that the car said it will try to reinstall later, and that a reinstall might fix it.

My P85D was repaired at the St. Louis service center yesterday. There was apparently a mismatch between the firmware (6.1. 2.2.113, which did install correctly) and some of the recent sonar detectors. Tesla has a later internal build of the firmware, currently undergoing validation, which addresses this issue. This version (6.1. 2.2.114) was installed on my car, restoring the disabled parking assist.

i was also told that the firmware installation protocol is not affected by anything a "normal" owner would do to the car, like opening the doors or pinging the car with the phone app, during an update.

It would be a pretty serious bug if you couldn't open a door or check it with the app while it updates, especially since the update may take much longer than the time it says before the update it will take. For me it once said it would take 45 mins and it actually took over two hours, how would I know when it would be safe to check on update progress if checking the update process would disturb the update?

Same error on my S60 delivered late December 2014. I did not interrupt the update but I did see a message about the update failing and it never retried.
I also saw a message about cruise control unavailable but maybe that had something to do with the bad weather and low visibility here because
it had been working with TACC after the update.

Going in for service in the parking assist message tomorrow.

Exact same issue with my update early this morning. S 85 VIN 60746.

I did not "disturb" it. Both the car and Visible Tesla say that 2.2.113 is installed, but I got the Park Assist Disabled message as soon as I sat down in the car.

I did both reboots (scroll wheels and buttons) but no help. Called Service, and he will ask Scottsdale to call me. We discussed the fact that the car said it will try to reinstall later, and that a reinstall might fix it.

dweeks: Did it ever reinstall on its own? I interrupted my first attempt to update to 6.1 by opening the front doors and checking the mobile app. Park assist disabled, but it says I have 6.1 (I noticed parking lines in rear camera).

I brought it to Burlingame SC and they pushed the update again to reinstall software at home. Last night, it was scheduled to update at 2:20 AM. No interruptions. This morning, my screen said the update failed and will try again later. Park Assist still disabled. I called Tesla again and they are looking into my VIN. My garage only has one bar of WiFi signal. I'm wondering if it lost connection during the process, and therefore the update failed.

I've deleted my home network from the list of remembered connections. Crossing fingers that the update will be available later... If not, then I will take it back to Burlingame SC and let them perform the entire 2 hour update.