Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realist gets Real ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
My i8 is close to 5000km and I am going to sell it. There is nothing wrong with it, it’s a great car, goes like stink, drives like a peach. Still, I see resale values getting crushed from here as BMW wants to increase production rapidly. So I don’t lose that much money right now and I also ordered something new……….

P85D :-D

I want to see the other side. :-D

*Tips hat to Realist* I don't think anyone on this forum goes to such lengths to defend their point of view as you do, Realist :cool: . A word of caution though, we haven't seen any track reviews of the P85D yet...compared to your i8 the P85D may turn out to be annoying due to premature power cut-off. What options are you planning?

Alex.

*Tips hat to Realist* I don't think anyone on this forum goes to such lengths to defend their point of view as you do, Realist :cool: . A word of caution though, we haven't seen any track reviews of the P85D yet...compared to your i8 the P85D may turn out to be annoying due to premature power cut-off. What options are you planning?

Alex.

Maybe Realist will track it for us! :D Find out how good/bad it really is. She is a big girl though, doesn't like to take corners as well as a track car should. I would think other cars would be better served for that purpose... Oh for one day Tesla to make a true track car!

I will take this car to the Nordschleife as soon as I have it. I want to set the fastest time in a stock electric car on the track!

It is heavy and it will cut the power. It doesn't matter though because the dual Motor Setup opens a whole new world regarding torque vectoring, traction and handling.

I don't expect this car to hunt Porsche GT3' but a lap time below 8:30 should be possible.

Are you interested in trying any cooling modifications to see if it improves full power run time? I've been wanting to see what a CO2 chiller system might do but I'm not aware of anyone trying one yet. If you aren't familiar with them it's basically a bottle of compressed CO2, could mount in the frunk, and tubing with small holes that your mount on your heat exchangers. When activated it sprays CO2 on them, cooling them down.

Are you interested in trying any cooling modifications to see if it improves full power run time? I've been wanting to see what a CO2 chiller system might do but I'm not aware of anyone trying one yet. If you aren't familiar with them it's basically a bottle of compressed CO2, could mount in the frunk, and tubing with small holes that your mount on your heat exchangers. When activated it sprays CO2 on them, cooling them down.

thats an amazing idea. i love model s modding.

actual modding not saleen bumper kit modding.

I know this of course. I remember trying this on our highly tuned Diesel Golfs more than 15 years ago. I don't want to apply anything similar on such a machine like the Model S. It's a 120.000 € car I don't want to touch or alter any technical detail. It will be stock apart from an aggressive toe setup....

I also want to see this car running against some big heavy weight Autobahn Monsters. I could follow a560hp Audi RS6 in the i8 with ease. The idea of driving 250kph on the Autobahn purely electric is just wired and fascinating. I want this :-D :-D

I know this of course. I remember trying this on our highly tuned Diesel Golfs more than 15 years ago. I don't want to apply anything similar on such a machine like the Model S. It's a 120.000 € car I don't want to touch or alter any technical detail.

I would think it could be setup without any permanent physical alterations, other than a small hole in the frunk liner for the hose. Use zip ties to hold the spray assembly to the heat exchangers.

Sounds like a Fast and Furious movie clip!

Keeping up with autobahn monsters I think is possible in a P85d, just not for very long. Even if the cooling issues don't limit power the battery will go down super fast. The forthcoming torque sleep will help though.

I would think it could be setup without any permanent physical alterations, other than a small hole in the frunk liner for the hose. Use zip ties to hold the spray assembly to the heat exchangers.

That would probably cool down the radiators, yes, but I wonder if it will actually help. I expect it's probably hard to cool the rotor. Stator no big deal, but the rotor is somewhat isolated in there.

Tesla has a patent for running coolant through the motor shaft. It is rumored to be in the Model S, although I have doubts, but even if it is I'm not sure how effective it could be given the constraints.

Dry ice didn't work on the Model S for MotorTrend, not sure what kind of modifications would...

Ref:
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Long-Term Update 4 - Motor Trend

That would probably cool down the radiators, yes, but I wonder if it will actually help. I expect it's probably hard to cool the rotor. Stator no big deal, but the rotor is somewhat isolated in there.

Tesla has a patent for running coolant through the motor shaft. It is rumored to be in the Model S, although I have doubts, but even if it is I'm not sure how effective it could be given the constraints.

The motor/rotor should be able to take higher temps than the inverter, though as you say heat removal may be more difficult. Do we know what component actually limits performance?

Dry ice didn't work on the Model S for MotorTrend, not sure what kind of modifications would...

Ref:
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Long-Term Update 4 - Motor Trend

As was discussed in another thread their setup probably provided very little actual cooling of any components. It was a poorly designed experiment that probably just cooled off the ground more than anything.

The motor/rotor should be able to take higher temps than the inverter, though as you say heat removal may be more difficult. Do we know what component actually limits performance?

In the Roadster we actually have temperature readouts, and at the track it's definitely the motor that overheats first.

The Model S is a larger and more refined version of the Roadster drive train, but it's essentially the same design. So I would expect the limitations to be the same. Also the power electronics are liquid cooled in the Model S so I doubt they would be worse. Given that the battery pack in the Roadster isn't the limiting factor, and the Model S pack is even bigger, I doubt it is responsible for the power limits.

So I'm pretty certain it's the motor.