Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85D - P85D cold weather (snow) Performance DUAL MOTOR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since early December 2014, there are a bunch of P85D on the road, and everybody seams so happy, that they do tons of 0-60 start-videos and the drag-races against all possible vehicles, except toy cars.

But no one did a serious test with the Dual Motor (AWD), where it can leverage its greatest strength: SNOW ? Winter driving? Safety on slippy roads?

Feels like doing street races with the fastest MotoCross bike, but never ride it on the dirt road.

Perhaps I'm the only one, waiting for Dual Motor (MX), for safe driving and superior winter abilities, but if not, perhaps someone could give it a shot.

Greetings Earlian

Last edited:
See my reports below for some hard data. The AWD in the P85D is great in slick conditions!

P85+ on snow tires was adequate during harsh MN winter. P85D on OEM snow Pirellis is flawless. Its AWD traction control system is equally spectacular for both summer performance and winter stability. You have to drive recklessly to lose control.
You will like it!

Last edited:
Received my P85D with 19" Pirelli's approx two weeks ago. Since then the average temperature in Montreal has been -10 C (+14 F) or less and we have had periods of snow and freezing rain.
I can honestly say that the Tesla AWD system is one of the best performing ones I have driven. I have been driving AWD vehicles for at least twenty years (Porsche, BMW, Jeep, Acura,etc) and this one could easily be the best.
Loving the car - and not standing outside in the freezing cold to fill up.

Thanks to Chisdad, AMN and Cottonwood for the excellent feedback!

The picture from the second link, where you can see how the 4 tires stamped the snow, tells the story.

I am driving Audi Quattro on snow since years and while EM had a Q7 for some time, I felt they where heading for improved performance.

While they can adjust the handling on both drive trains in milliseconds, I think it will be the best winter performance you can give to tires - for now.

Perhaps the Croatian guy could enhance with 4 separate steered (4 motors) wheels, but since this will take some years to afford, Tesla will get the crown and hold it. No wonder many Audi drivers got over to a Tesla.

>>But besides all that, since it was posted in the video-section and while I have to wait (hopefully not too long) till I can drive it myself, I'll stick to the hope of some video-footage one fine day.

Last edited:
We have a 2009 Acura SH AWD with Blizzack LM32's and until now I thought it was one of the very best winter handling cars. The AWD on our P85D with 19" Pirellis is noticeably better in all conditions. The Blizzacks are one of the best tires for conditions here in Wisconsin but the Pirellis seem fine so far too. Next time it snows we'll see which one has better traction side by side. I think the dual motor AWD combined with the cars weight and it's amazing traction control will make any tire advantage hard to discern.

Lovely data - thanks!

See my reports below for some hard data. The AWD in the P85D is great in slick conditions!

@Denarius

Thank you for the first vid!
Uphill and lots of cars to drive by, that is how I know it from AWD. The P85D seemed sovereign all the time.

It doesn't look like it is going very hard up, but icy under the snow?

@Denarius

Thank you for the first vid!
Uphill and lots of cars to drive by, that is how I know it from AWD. The P85D seemed sovereign all the time.

It doesn't look like it is going very hard up, but icy under the snow?

Yes, ice under snow, extremely slippery. I went up and down several times to help people. At one point I got out of my car to help push and almost fell multiple times walking over to the other car.

I wrote about this the first snowstorm after I got mine, as I figured others wanted to know : P85D vs Horrid Winter Slush

TL;DR = It is NICE. As an ex-Audi driver, it does at least as well as Quattro, and with the air suspension you can keep clear of the center pile in the road with ease. I'm doing city driving, so please don't take my word for it if you NEED the snow tires and chains- it may be a slightly different experience... but still awesome. The P85D does a GREAT job at shifting torque at a subsecond level to the NON slipping wheels, it should easily waste even a LSD Quattro, even if you are an inexperienced driver (rookie teenager, non-motorhead spouse, etc).

There are just so many reasons why the "D" is worth it... multiplied for any climate where the white stuff shows up.