Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85D performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how the 85D is going to compare against the regular 85. Any guesses?

It seems like the 85 performance gap vs P85 is in the low range. Like the kW output is limited below 20 mph. How then is the 85D slightly faster 0 to 60? Are they going to free up some more low end power for the AWD? Does the higher oomph start to affect it before 60 mph like it does for the higher top speed? Is it going to be slightly faster then the listed specs like we've seen in past cars? All questions I have when trying to decide on S85 vs S85D vs inventory P85.

Last edited:
You will want to wait for proper testing from a third party publication like road and track etc. However remember the motors in the 85D are both smaller and different. So the 85 is one motor. The P85 has a different inverter or something right? (Don't quote me on that) but the new 85D has two small motors neither which is from the 60 nor 85 nor P85 vehicles.

How then is the 85D slightly faster 0 to 60? Are they going to free up some more low end power for the AWD?

I'd bet on better traction is the reason for the slightly faster 0 to 60 over the S85. I think the 85D is going to be the better drivers car (of the ones you're looking at) due to the traction. The P85 will obviously have better off the line performance, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Basically my experience with my S85 was you didn't dare step on the accelerator in a corner until your nose was pointed where you wanted to go. I believe that was the case with the P85 as well. I expect that the 85D will be much better about this. So far people are saying the P85D drives like it's on rails.

So in my opinion I'd wait for an 85D over an inventory car.

- - - Updated - - -

What if I want AWD but no stink'n autopilot? D's are meant to be DRIVEN!! (by humans :) )

So don't use it. Nobody posts and complains about a car coming with heated seats that they don't want to use, they just don't turn them on.

Just FYI there are no S-anything models. The S prefix is gone. I'm all hot and bothered over the 85D, really trying to learn everything I can about it (and it vs P85D).

I think for resale purposes the Tech package is good to get. Obviously it's not for everyone but I'll be getting it, the autopilot feature during long boring highway drives is appealing.

Just FYI there are no S-anything models. The S prefix is gone.

Not sure what you mean by this but this is what people mean by the abbreviations:

S60 = Model S 60 kWh RWD
S85 = Model S 85 kWh RWD
60D = Model S 60 kWh AWD (discontinued before production so won't ever actually exist)
85D or S85D = Model S 85kWh AWD
P85 = Model S 85kWh Performance RWD (discontinued)
P85+ = Model S 85kWh Performance RWD (with upgraded suspension) (discontinued)
P85D = Model S 85kWh Performance AWD

Leaving off the letter and just calling them 85 or 60 will probably soon be ambiguous with the Model X. The D suffix makes it unambiguous with this future vehicle because all X vehicles will be AWD. P85 might end up being ambiguous with the Model X, but I'd expect everyone to just start calling those XP85 or something.

Not sure what you mean by this but this is what people mean by the abbreviations:...

Then the P85 should be SP85, P85D becomes SP85D, etc. I'm just basing my observation off the Tesla website that calls the models 60, 85, 85D, and P85D. Perhaps Tesla should rename them to S60, S85, etc. so they can use X60, X85, etc. for the Model X.

Did Tesla used to call them the S60, S85, etc back when it was released or what?

Then the P85 should be SP85, P85D becomes SP85D, etc. I'm just basing my observation off the Tesla website that calls the models 60, 85, 85D, and P85D. Perhaps Tesla should rename them to S60, S85, etc. so they can use X60, X85, etc. for the Model X.

Did Tesla used to call them the S60, S85, etc back when it was released or what?

As far as I can recall I've never seen Tesla use the S prefix on the abbreviations. It's just a common convention that people use. I'd guess using S85 is also used to be clear you're talking about a non-P 85 rather than a P85.

I'd bet on better traction is the reason for the slightly faster 0 to 60 over the S85. I think the 85D is going to be the better drivers car (of the ones you're looking at) due to the traction. The P85 will obviously have better off the line performance, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Basically my experience with my S85 was you didn't dare step on the accelerator in a corner until your nose was pointed where you wanted to go. I believe that was the case with the P85 as well. I expect that the 85D will be much better about this. So far people are saying the P85D drives like it's on rails.

That's good to hear, I have a ordered but not confirmed a 85D. I test drove a 85 and felt it was great in corners and the acceleration at 30+ speed was great(compared to my former 2002 911). The low speed acceleration wasn't as great as I was expecting, I'm not sure if that's because I'm coming from a Volt and that was good up to 20mph (the 85 is much faster then the Volt 20+).

I haven't driven a P85 but I've read 0-30 is where the biggest difference in acceleration is. I'm a little perplexed as the 85 seemed to start at 60kw or so and work it's way up to 270kw in due speed and I don't see what that would have to do with the inverter. I'm not sure if the 85D is going to narrow that reduced power period or why it's a little better 0-60.

I'm by the mountains and that's interesting that you're predicting that corners will be great in the 85D. That's the place where I'd enjoy the performance the most and it's all going to be at 30+ mph.

Last edited:
I test drove a 85 and felt it was great in corners and the acceleration at 30+ speed was great(compared to my former 2002 911). The low speed acceleration wasn't as great as I was expecting, I'm not sure if that's because I'm coming from a Volt and that was decent up to 20mph (the 85 is much faster then the Volt 20+).

You are saying that the Volt feels quicker from zero to twenty than an S85?

You are saying that the Volt feels quicker from zero to twenty than an S85?

No, but it seemed about the same. Maybe just until 10mph or something like that or it was just me on the test drive day. I could obviously tell the difference after that initial start though. Maybe it's just traction reasons that it wasn't that much better then the volt? The volt also starts at a lower Kw and works it's way up to it's 110kw max.

Last edited:
Well, that's interesting I was looking at some stats and my carrera was faster 0-30, after that the S85 catches up. I was expecting it to be the opposite. I guess that's probably where the surprise came in. I wonder if the 85D is going to change anything in that regard.