Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Albany, NY to Bufalo, NY -- without getting stuck in Syracuse for 5 hours?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Hi,

Am I missing something? After consulting evtripplanner and plugshare, I just don't see a way to go from Albany, NY (technically the SuperCharger there) to Buffalo, NY, without making a lengthy charging stop in between. Such as in Syracuse.

Best I can find in Syracuse is a 72A charger at a Best Western. But due to the distance from Albany to Syracuse, and then the distance from Syracuse to Buffalo, it looks like I'd have to spend ~5 hours at the Syracuse Best Western to gain enough rated range to make it intact to Buffalo.

I really hadn't wanted to spend 5 hours in Syracuse. I don't think I can arrange to stop in Syracuse overnight. And with a wife and 10-year old son in tow on the way to Buffalo, and both of those plus a chihuahua puppy (shudder!) on the way back, I just don't see how a 5-hour stop in Syracuse is compatible with my continued existence on this planet.

Please, please -- someone tell me that I'm missing something here and there's a better solution. I really want to take my Model S and not fall back on the !#$$#@%!$ Prius wagon.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. Is there at least somewhere that one can stop for 5 hours, use something high-powered to charge (70, 80, 90, 100A), while doing something really interesting & fun that would make The Wife think I'm a thoughtful mensch worthy of tender midnight admiration rather than a Tesla-obsessed electrified fanboy?

I'm afraid you're stopping if you want to take the S. I did the drive from Niagara to Albany in September and had to stop in Syracuse. It was for about 4 hours on a charger at Lake Onondaga. The good news is it was in the fall and I was able to pull out my bike and ride around the lake for a few hours. I feel your pain but it's hang out for a bit or take the Prius.

Plugshare shows 2 Sun Country Highway CS-100's at The Colgate Inn in Hamilton.

Are you turning around in Buffalo, or staying overnight (with destination charging)? Wouldn't 2 hrs in Hamilton give you enough to make it to Buffalo, assuming an 80% in Albany?

265RM * 0.8 = 212RM - 102RM (Albany->Hamilton, per evtripplanner.com) = 110RM remaining
196RM (Hamilton->Buffalo, per evtripplanner.com) - 110RM remaining = 86RM shortfall = 90 min @ 80A/240V

Are you turning around in Buffalo, or staying overnight (with destination charging)? Wouldn't 2 hrs in Hamilton give you enough to make it to Buffalo, assuming an 80% in Albany?

265RM * 0.8 = 212RM - 102RM (Albany->Hamilton, per evtripplanner.com) = 110RM remaining
196RM (Hamilton->Buffalo, per evtripplanner.com) - 110RM remaining = 86RM shortfall = 90 min @ 80A/240V

Any time you are leaving from a Supercharger on a trip that will require L2 charging along the way, you should keep charging on the Supercharger until the taper takes the charge rate to lower than the L2 rate ahead.

Let's take an example, at 90% SoC, you get something over 40 kW charge rate. If the L2 charger ahead is 80Ax240V or 19.2 kW, then you are charging faster at the Supercharger than at the L2. Taking DC battery voltages, AC efficiency, etc into effect, you want to leave the Supercharger when the Supercharger current is about half of the L2 AC charging current at the next stop. That is when the Supercharger charge rate drops to lower than the L2. If Syracuse offers 80A and you have dual chargers to use all of that, then leave Albany when the Supercharger charge current is down to 40A. I have found that this is typically at 97-99% SoC.

Doing this would probably add a half hour to the Albany charging time and remove an hour or so from the Syracuse charge time, saving a half hour overall.

Hey, that's a great plan! Wish I'd thought of it but thrilled that you suggested it. I will definitely follow up on that.

Thanks!

Alan

P.S. Thinking I'll overnight in Buffalo, and definitely seem to have adequate charging options there. The challenge is all in the Buffalo<->Albany segment, which you have just helped me see in a new light.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, @Cottonwood,

Thanks for the analysis and especially what translates into a useful rule of thumb for me: i.e., SC rate < next charging stop's rate.

I was indeed thinking that I'd leave Albany full or close to it, cutting down the amount of time I'd need to recharge at Syracuse. The plan you've suggested probably can be combined with @tga's observations about Hamilton, yielding further savings for me.

Thank you!

Alan

Any time you are leaving from a Supercharger on a trip that will require L2 charging along the way, you should keep charging on the Supercharger until the taper takes the charge rate to lower than the L2 rate ahead.

Let's take an example, at 90% SoC, you get something over 40 kW charge rate. If the L2 charger ahead is 80Ax240V or 19.2 kW, then you are charging faster at the Supercharger than at the L2. Taking DC battery voltages, AC efficiency, etc into effect, you want to leave the Supercharger when the Supercharger current is about half of the L2 AC charging current at the next stop. That is when the Supercharger charge rate drops to lower than the L2. If Syracuse offers 80A and you have dual chargers to use all of that, then leave Albany when the Supercharger charge current is down to 40A. I have found that this is typically at 97-99% SoC.

Doing this would probably add a half hour to the Albany charging time and remove an hour or so from the Syracuse charge time, saving a half hour overall.

just for the hell of it, I overlayed their 'today' map and '2015' map in this region on top of google maps and zoomed in. so you can see the general locations of their plans:

"TODAY":
today-overlay.jpg

"2015":
2015-overlay.jpg

Cottonwood's suggestion is the real deal :) I've used this on a Boston-metro -> Philly and back trip for a total of 600 miles in one day. Now that the supercharger network is saturating in the Boston->Philly area I won't have to do this again!

Hey, that's a great plan! Wish I'd thought of it but thrilled that you suggested it. I will definitely follow up on that.

Thanks!

Alan

P.S. Thinking I'll overnight in Buffalo, and definitely seem to have adequate charging options there. The challenge is all in the Buffalo<->Albany segment, which you have just helped me see in a new light
Depending on your overnight plans in Buffalo, there are a few Sun Country CS-90's on the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. Spending a night there might count as romantic enough to warrant "tender midnight admiration." :wink:

For the return, I'm guessing leaving Buffalo with a full range charge, plus an hour or so in Hamilton, will get you to Albany no problem. Also, if you have a new puppy on the return trip, you may need to take a couple of dog walking stops - if you can plan walk/charge spots on the way, that might help speed things along.

I really like Cottonwood's suggestion. Simple (almost obvious!), yet brilliant.