Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Tail light !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Yesterday when I was driving MS back home I stopped in couple of places and it was parked. Noticed that my right tail light was broken after I returned shopping.

There was no note on my car.

Don't know who did this.

Does it need to go body shop or can I place an order for the tail light and replace it myself?

Unfortunate day yesterday.

Thanks
Broken Tail light.JPG

If it's just the taillight, no need to involve a body shop. Tesla will likely install one, or at the least sell you one. They often pop up on Ebay from part-outs as well, depending on how DIY you want to get. I haven't done the Tesla's, but in general Taillights are pretty straightforward, though in this case we lack a definitive shop manual, which won't help.

Moderators: Can you please change the topic to Broken Tail Light and side scraping or damage?

Gizmotoy: I washed the car today and noticed that rear bumper was side scraped as well.

I called the Verizon wireless store where I went last night and the manager who came to see my Tesla noticed it. I called him this morning and asked for the camera footage. He is saying that he needs permission of his supervisor to show the footage to track who did it.

I called the police and they told me since it happened last night they cannot file a report at this time.

I don't know what to do....

IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised by the police response. Usually you can file a report for pretty much anything at any time. They'll ignore it like they always do without a witness, but you should be able to file.

That looks like mostly-superficial damage caused by a dark-colored car. I bet most of it buffs out, though along that quarter panel edge where it meets the trunk you might be worn down to the aluminum. If you don't see any bare aluminum, visit a professional detailer before a body shop.

Sorry to hear that. If there was paint armour on the car it wouldn't be a big deal. It might buff out anyway, but that kind of scrape is one of the things paint armour is for.