Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Approximately how much to install 240V in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a duplex and want a very rough estimate of how much it would cost for an electrician to install a 240V (NEMA 14-50 I'd assume) in my garage.

Also, I rent, so what is the convention on paying for this? It is an improvement to the property so is it wrong to ask the owner to share the cost?

I would first ask the landlord what it would take to install an additional outlet, but say you're not sure where you want it. Find out how open they are to the idea, first. If you get an optimistic answer, proceed. However, if you say you want a 50A outlet for an electric car, you're probably going to get a high estimate from the landlord and/or electrician. If you say you want a 50A outlet for a pottery kiln, you'll probably get a fair price. Just make sure you say it's only for a 14-50.
only
I live in a duplex and want a very rough estimate of how much it would cost for an electrician to install a 240V (NEMA 14-50 I'd assume) in my garage.

Also, I rent, so what is the convention on paying for this? It is an improvement to the property so is it wrong to ask the owner to share the cost?

Very hard to give an estimate. I installed my own and was about 30' from the breaker box with space in the box. The materials ran about $110 and in 3 hours I was done.

But if you are paying someone, and the breaker box is both full and on the other side of the house I could see $2000 for a long conduit run with wire and a needed sub panel.

Last edited:

Difficult to say because we do not know your location and it DOES seem to matter. I paid $340 to have my line run and HPWC installed.

if you say you want a 50A outlet for an electric car, you're probably going to get a high estimate from the landlord and/or electrician. If you say you want a 50A outlet for a pottery kiln, you'll probably get a fair price. Just make sure you say it's only for a 14-50.only

.....and/or if your load calcs won't permit and depending on your commute, you may save more money by opting for a 14-30

i have been using a 14-30 for 2 years/44,000 miles in Va

I would first ask the landlord what it would take to install an additional outlet, but say you're not sure where you want it. Find out how open they are to the idea, first. If you get an optimistic answer, proceed. However, if you say you want a 50A outlet for an electric car, you're probably going to get a high estimate from the landlord and/or electrician. If you say you want a 50A outlet for a pottery kiln, you'll probably get a fair price. Just make sure you say it's only for a 14-50.
only
I wouldn't say Tesla to an electrician, since that may jack up the quote. But "electric car" is probably OK.

I wouldn't tell your landlord you want an outlet for a kiln. If I was your landlord, I'd probably nix a kiln over fire concerns.

If your landlord is going to hire the electrician, then I'd ask them not to mention Tesla to the electrician, and explain why (people's quotes have been jacked up over that).

I live in the Phoenix area and my garage is about 100' from my breaker box. 14-50 installed running the wire through the attic was $1050. Of course, it always depends on your contractor, how you runtime cable, and whether you need to upgrade your panel. I was going to do the HPWC with 80 amp service but I would have had to upgrade my service panel (about $1500 extra) and the install would have been about another $500 or so. Not worth it when you drive 60-80 miles per day.

Get at lest three quotes. Interestingly the guy I found most trustworthy ended up being the cheapest. Most expensive was the group Tesla recommended. Their install price was $2400 for the same 14-50 plug! All three quotes were from licensed electricians.

110' run from breaker box to garage using 6/3 cable about $350. PS don't tell him it's for an electric car or they'll upcharge you 2-3x as they'll think you're rich. Don't let yourself get ripped off by these $1000 quotes as that's just BS as they laugh all the way to the bank.

Mine is hanging off my garage sub panel with an offset nipple and a total of about 6 feet of wire. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

.....unless a very silly individual in FL adds extra stainless hardware and powder coating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,755
Last edited:
I don't like the looks of that white outlet, but it should be able to be rotated.
The ground should face down the way the UMC's 90° bend is. Show it to the electrician before he mounts it.

You said duplex, but I didn't think that necessarily meant attached garage. I've done this twice myself, and had to dig a trench both times. If you need trenching, it will cost an arm and leg more. If not, it's a much easier and cheaper job.