Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CLEAR BRA (paint protection film) - Full hood or 24" ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
​Edit - I'm going with full hood. Thanks for the input!

I'm definitely getting Xpel Ultimate put on my car the day I get it. The big decision is to choose between the full hood and fenders ($1700) or 24" of film on them ($800). Has anyone done the less-expensive route?

(Note that either option includes the bumper, headlights, side mirrors, etc)

Last edited:
I'm definitely getting Xpel Ultimate put on my car the day I get it. The big decision is to choose between the full hood and fenders ($1700) or 24" of film on them ($800). Has anyone done the less-expensive route?

I wrestled with this. I decided that if something ever happened, and I didn't have it, that I would be really really p-d off at myself. Whereas, once it's there, you forget about the money and feel a little more secure.

I intend to drive the car in the winter in the snow/slush so I decided to do the whole car. No regrets.

I had the factory paint protection on my Sig S, which included the half-hood treatment and no edge wrap. I got a lot of hood dings up past the point where the film ended and along the exposed edges, so when my D arrived I paid the extra money to have Kirby at Colorado Clear Bra do the full front wrap. In addition, I had him do the lower half of all four doors, up to the break in the sheet metal.

Don't even think about the 24" variety. There will be a dirt line that will look bad. In addition, stone chips happen north of 24". I covered every inch of exterior paint and I'm glad I did it, also the black piece between the windshield and the pano roof is covered.

+1 for full body Xpel wrap. One time I opened up the door full force into a concrete wall in a parking garage. The main wall was actually further away but there was a smaller piece of concrete much closer than I could see. No damage. Just a little dust that rubbed right off. Xpel saved me probably hundreds if not thousands of dollars in paint repair.

I initially just had the full front done (entire hood, fenders … anything the air hits when moving forward). Worth it. After having the car processed through a service center (and the factory) for an issue that occurred shortly after delivery and seeing the paint swirling they caused, I had the rest of the car wrapped. It sounds odd, but I decided to get everything with a clearcoat wrapped to protect against Tesla employees, co-workers, friends, as well as myself.

Ps IMO suntek much better than xpel. Less orange peel.

all 3 installers I got estimates from would do xpel or suntek same price. All 3 had done their own car with suntek. :wink:
It's because Suntek is easier to install. It stretches easier - but it's a thinner film that may not provide the same protection. I'm sure either would be fine. But Xpel seems a bit heavier-duty.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/77515-xpel-vs-suntek-clear-paint-protection/page-3#entry1176768 said:
SunTek is about 30% thinner at 6.5 mil, hence the added elasticity

all 3 installers I got estimates from would do xpel or suntek same price. All 3 had done their own car with suntek. :wink:

Suntek is a bit cheaper to purchase and when you can replace it on your own if it gets damaged its not much of a concern. Personally I like the Suntek film, its a great film and looks good. Is it a noticable difference over XPEL? Not IMO it isn't.

It's because Suntek is easier to install. It stretches easier - but it's a thinner film that may not provide the same protection. I'm sure either would be fine. But Xpel seems a bit heavier-duty.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Suntek's adhesive is also easier to install with. It takes a better installer to use XPEL IMO. XPEL will self heal up to 5mil deep where as that would nearly go through the suntek film entirely so thickness does matter.

Don't forget XPEL has a 10 year warranty vs Suntek at 5 year. If your wrapping a whole car or plan on keeping it for some time this should be taken into consideration.

You can't really go wrong with either though. both great films and considered to be the top 2 paint protection films. Picking a winner out of the two is the least of your concern, find the best installer should be the most important factor.

I have to say, I think Xpel may have improved their orange peel over the years. I could definitely see orange peel in the Xpel installed on my P85 two years ago. I can barely see any on the Xpel that was just installed on my P85D. Now, maybe it's just the difference between looking at it on a black vs. red car, but my hunch is they've improved the film.