Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-65 in KY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question too. The big gap is Indianapolis to Chattanooga (Nashville is still up in the air). We may need two in KY since the gap between Louisville and Nashville is pretty big ~175 miles, analogous to the gap between Savannah and St. Augustine. Bowling Green perhaps?

If you look at Tesla's site, it looks like the aim is to do I-75 first, then I-65 later this year, with Louisville and it looks like Elizabethtown (which is at the intersection of I-65 and I-69).

Apparently there are zoning issues to overcome in Kentucky, so "nothing soon" is probably a good estimate for new Superchargers there.
I spoke with a Kentuckian at the Chattanooga SC. He told me the problem is an arcane law on the Kentucky books that restricts all High Speed charging locations to be ONLY at gas stations. Not sure why any State would enact such legislation, but...

I spoke with a Kentuckian at the Chattanooga SC. He told me the problem is an arcane law on the Kentucky books that restricts all High Speed charging locations to be ONLY at gas stations. Not sure why any State would enact such legislation, but...
I'd speculate that the law says something like "any commercial site to refuel vehicles must be zoned as a Gas Station." I'd further speculate that there are all sorts of inspections and license renewals that tag along with being a Gas Station.

I'm sure it would be an easy fix in the statute, but it would require the legislature to act. And while auto manufacturing in Kentucky is an important industry, the players there don't care about high-speed EV charging.
Auto manufacturing is a top industry in Kentucky, supporting more than 65,000 jobs. More than 400 automotive-related facilities are located in Kentucky, including major auto assembly plants for Toyota, Ford and General Motors, which makes the Corvette in Bowling Green.

If Kentucky is not grateful for Tesla Superchargers then put one at the last exit in TN and another just north of the river in IN. That would be 147 miles.

Oh, and Catlettsburg, KY is a big oil refinery town. Legislature wouldn't have oil filling their pockets would they?

Charge up at my house (50 amp) in Paducah, KY anytime. Just call ahead so we know to expect you.
6350 Clinton Road, Paducah KY 42001. 270-556-1630.
This will fill a big hole between St. Louis and Nashville until Tesla builds a supercharger near here.