Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rare Triple Shadow Transit on Jupiter - Jan 23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
A rare simultaneous transit across Jupiter by the shadows of three of its four great Galilean satellites will occur during the night of January 23-24. This can be seen through modest telescopes. The next triple shadow transit won’t happen until 2032.

Bright Jupiter currently rises during the early evening for all observers. The triple shadow transit will be best viewed from the Americas.

I’ve created two preview graphics. They can be downloaded at www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter

I’ll publish on my website a detailed timetable for the triple shadow transit by midday on January 23. In the meantime, tonight’s Galilean satellite timetable appears there.

Photos and descriptions of the event would be welcome additions to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Curt, thanks for the regular astronomy updates. The avid amateur astronomer knows more about what is happening in the sky that people can see than professional astronomers. I got my start in astronomy going up to the Adler Planetarium on the IC from a southern suburb on Saturdays when I was a kid. I am probably one of the only astronomy PhD's on the forum.

So my 15 year old son has been saving his pet sitting money for a while and decided to go buy himself a telescope.
He ordered one of these:
Amazon.com : Celestron NexStar 5 SE Telescope : Catadioptric Telescopes : Camera Photo
(Celestron NexStar 5 SE)
It just arrived today... He set it up and we quickly found Jupiter and moons (but not yet in transit.)
It was neat... I could see patterns in Jupiter's surface. I just took a quick snap with my iPhone camera pointed at the viewfinder (resulting in a massive loss of detail), but just to add to the comment:
jupiter-moons.png

Here are a couple of unusual events that I predict will occur during the triple shadow transit across Jupiter on the night of January 23-24.

23:49:42 CST (05:49:42 UT) – Callisto’s shadow eclipses 54% of Io, while both of their shadows fall on Jupiter and appear merged with each other.

00:21:00 CST (06:21:00 UT) – A fully lit Io appears totally immersed within the shadow of Callisto that falls on Jupiter. (Io will not be shadow eclipsed at that time.)

Last edited:
I am pleased that we were able to see this right from our back yard here in the city. Weather was very favorable with clear skies. Usually I would think that air pollution would make this a poor location for such viewing, but I guess we can credit all the EVs sold in this area helping to provide clearer skies! (Another little mentioned benefit of getting away from ICE vehicles.)