Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take my first multi-day road trip and will need, at various points, to charge on "J1772" outlets listed in Plug Share. Whatare the actual charging rate I can expect?

I know that in the case of NEMA 14-50 and HPWC outlets, the actual charging rate (Miles of Charge/Hour) depends on voltage. And I have seen 208 volts at a shopping center vs 220 or 240 in residential settings.

I have an MS85 with Dual Chargers.

I have membership cards for Blink and Charge Point, if there are differences between networks.

Expect 208V/30A from public J1772 sites. Most are going to have these specs. Some entries in PlugShare give their specs, not many though. Anything higher than this will be a pleasant surprise, but do not plan on getting anything more than that.

Because the AC charger is only about 90% efficient, the MS needs about 333 Wh/mi, rated miles. This means that the charging rate in MPH is close to kW*3mph/kW.

Many J1772 chargers are 30 Amps at 208 or 240 Volts.
  • 30A*208V=6.24kW; 6.24kW*3mph/kW=18.7 mph charging.
  • 30A*240V=7.2kW; 7.2kW*3mph/kW=21.6 mph charging.

Because you had the foresight to buy dual chargers, you can charge at over 40 Amps AC. When you find HPWC's or J1772's with more than 40 Amps, you will be happy. For example, both Pagosa Springs, CO and Salida, CO have 70 Amp J1772 connections at 240 Volts. 70A*240V=16.8kW; 16.8kW*3mph/kW=50.4 mph charging.

You also can use RV parks. Check RVParking.com for locations. Call ahead for EV charging availability and ask for "50 Amp service."

With a UMC this will be much faster than the typical 30 A J1772.

GSP

PS. Also try seting PlugShare filters to show only Model S HPWCs ("gear" icon for settings). You could charge at 80 A (60 mph)! There is a 14-50 filter as well. Lots of options in and around Georgia.

Last edited:
I stayed overnight in Augusta at the Marriott Downtown and was disappointed to only get 16A service from their J1772... and the car a few hours later adjusted to just 12A. If there is no amperage info on PlugShare... expect the worst...