Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floridians for Solar Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a bit off topic but there is a new political group in town called Floridians for Solar Choice who have started a petition to allow solar users to sell their excess electric to their neighbors. For me it would little practical use as my 10Kw system isn't big enough but it would open the door to solar cooperatives. An example might be a house builder who incorporates a large enough array to power 30 new houses. You can bet FPL, Duke etc will fight this proposal tooth and nail! Here's the link to their petition site:

I've signed mine and sent it off already. You have to be a Florida resident to qualify.

I moved to Florida a couple of years ago, and was surprised that none of the builders I spoke with would install solar. By my (admittedly rough) calculations, if I rolled the cost into a 30-yr fixed, I would be cash flow positive from the first month. Talk about a no brainer, but nobody was interested.

Coming from a republican in the state legislature is about the only way that we are going to see real change in the way the PSC operates here in Florida. Hopefully Brandes' proposed legislation finds a way through, and bypasses the governor as well. There is no reason Florida isn't a leader in solar, and all it takes is a few incentives to get there, and I'm not talking about incentives to Duke/FPL/Teco.

It is a bit ironic these initiatives are coming from Republicans, even Tea Party Republicans. That said, the issue of solar power does seem to cross party lines...maybe for different reasons but if the end product is expansion of solar use in the Sunshine State then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I've sent the following email text to a bunch of Florida family and friends, with the subject: Constitutional Amendment Petition - "Limits or Prevents Barriers to Local Solar Electricity Supply"

This petition needs the support of all Floridians to keep utility companies like Duke Energy and FP&L from limiting solar-generated electricity in Florida.

Free-market conservatives are leading the coalition that supports the ballot initiative. Tory Perfetti is the Chairman of Floridians for Solar Choice, which includes Conservatives for Energy Freedom, Christian Coalition, Florida Libertarian Party, Florida Republican Liberty Caucus, and The Tea Party Network. All these groups have judged the facts on their own and determined the initiative is consistent with conservative principles. Needless to say, others not aligned with conservative organizations also support this ballot initiative.

If you’d like to see more choices in electrical power supply, sign the petition (Floridians for Solar Choice) like I did and mail to:

120 E. Oakland Park Blvd. Suite 105
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334

Here’s a link to their web site: Floridians for Solar Choice. Note there are also links on the organizations’ site, e.g., Conservatives for Energy Freedom, listed above.

I know this is a bit off topic but there is a new political group in town called Floridians for Solar Choice who have started a petition to allow solar users to sell their excess electric to their neighbors. For me it would little practical use as my 10Kw system isn't big enough but it would open the door to solar cooperatives. An example might be a house builder who incorporates a large enough array to power 30 new houses. You can bet FPL, Duke etc will fight this proposal tooth and nail! Here's the link to their petition site:

I've signed mine and sent it off already. You have to be a Florida resident to qualify.

My wife and I signed back in January of this year. I would like to encourage all who detest monopolies to sign this petition to give us choice. "Choice"....what a concept. I think it has something to do with being an American.:wink: The utilities are strongly apposing it which should be convincing enough to support Floridians for Solar Choice.