Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Model X Launch Party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard from a "source" that I should expect the Model X launch party between January 29th and February 12th now that NAIAS is over and in lead up to the earnings report on February 18th.

I see that this is your first post on this forum. Welcome to the Tesla Motors Club Forum.

Everybody is anxious to see the production version of the Tesla Model X.

Let's see how reliable your "source" is.

I am not holding my breath though.

Very short notice seems to be The Tesla Way...

It's annoying as an East-Coaster, but at the same time I understand. They know the cat is out of the bag once the emails go out, so if they're trying to keep it hush for any reason, they'll have to hold out.

Was nice back for the Model S Beta event. It happened in October and we got notice in August. I forget exactly when we got word of the Model X event.

I don't think TM would have another "launch party" without actually delivering at least a couple of cars at this occasion. And this is probably not going to happen before summer. Otherwise what's the point of going over the falcon wing doors again and again :wink:

I don't think TM would have another "launch party" without actually delivering at least a couple of cars at this occasion. And this is probably not going to happen before summer. Otherwise what's the point of going over the falcon wing doors again and again :wink:

I disagree. The Model S was shown off early on in prototype form. Then we got the beta event with the factory tour. Then there was yet another event where they delivered cars.

For the Model X, we've had the unveiling of the original design, and I suspect there will be an event to unveil the current design (thus drumming up hype and providing information to all the thousands with reservations so that they can decide on what options they want if they choose to keep their reservation). Post that, it's likely there will also be an event for first deliveries.

For there to be deliveries at the first event that shows off the final car, those folks (likely founders), would have had to see the car, options and pricing and finalize orders before then. That wouldn't make sense. If they were ready to build and deliver cars, then they would want to do so in volume, and there's no way they're going to reveal all this info and expect folks to finalize and pay on the spot for delivery (especially since it would take months for the car to be built to spec).

Most likely just well-intentioned mis-information.

1) Could be true but OTOH not very likely that Tesla will hold a major event so tight before year-end earnings release.
2) It's very unlikely that anyone in FL would actually be in on the discussion regarding a calendar window.

I'll just add that I was in a Tesla store last October and asked when they thought I would get my Model X, the answer I received was that deliveries would start in January so I should expect to configure sometime soon! That employee was well-meaning and it's human nature that they didn't just want to tell me they had no idea. (I dropped a friendly note to the Regional Manager later, so I not going to embarrass anyone by saying where the store was).

I'm not sure about that. They know that investors are anxious about the Model X schedule. Revealing it just before earnings would head off a lot of questions.

Big marketing events during blackout periods are generally frowned upon...they can easily been seen as being timed to distract attention. Having run listed companies I can also say that management (particularly the CEO) will be extremely busy immediately before ER. I'm not saying it's impossible just very unlikely.

A few random facts while we await an annoucement:

The Model X was revealed on February 9, 2012.

The original Model X event was scheduled over a month in advance (I see Elon quoting the exact date as early as January 6, 2012).

Tesla has a history of holding events on Thursday nights. Both the Model X and P85D events were on Thursdays. However, the Model S beta reveal was held on a Saturday. The major difference being the former two events were held at Hawthorne, while the latter was held at the factory in Fremont. Therefore, we may also see the Model X beta reveal at Fremont on a Saturday. This would also make it easier for out-of-towners to fly in for a weekend.

The Model X was revealed before the now out-of-production Rav4 EV.