Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record vs Hellcat....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That whole clip was like straight out of a cartoon: The first guy is all Mr. super show off with his flashy paintjob and smoking tires, all spinning his wheels for the cameras and the P85D is just like ho-hum, quiet 4-door luxo-barge over here, don't mind me... and proceeds to beat the living crap out of Mr. neon green.

The HellCat driver must have just bought that car, he didn't know what the hell he was doing. Jumpy at the start, whales on the gas and ends up spinning 1/3rd the way down the track just tach'ing the motor like crazy. Was like he didn't even know they're spinning like a wild Tasmanian devil down the track that he was so out of it. Lucky he didn't smash that damn smokey thing into the wall. If the car went sideways (which it started doing), then caught some good traction, that would have been crunch time. The poor guy was way overwhelmed and uncomfortable being lined up against P85D, and when it was right beside him he floundered.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a real match... looked like the hellcat driver didn't know how to shift*...

* Shifting was a how power was transferred to the wheels using a transmission; antique reciprocating engines have a poor power curve requiring multiple gears to keep the engine at it's optimum speed.

The HellCat driver must have just bought that car, he didn't know what the hell he was doing. Jumpy at the start, whales on the gas and ends up spinning 1/3rd the way down the track just tach'ing the motor like crazy. Was like he didn't even know they're spinning like a wild Tasmanian devil down the track that he was so out of it. Lucky he didn't smash that damn smokey thing into the wall. If the car went sideways (which it started doing), then caught some good traction, that would have been crunch time. The poor guy was way overwhelmed and uncomfortable being lined up against P85D, and when it was right beside him he floundered.

That hellcat did not have his head in the game.. what kind of a start was that!?

i agree with the above sentiment: this was not exactly the fairest of matches, as the hellcat driver was all style, no skill. And unlike EVs, you do need real skills to drive an ICe on the level of the hellcat.

i mean, you can even see the hellcat wobbling side to side at one point.

id like to see motortrend or the like do a comprehensive rematch.

that said,

p85d is an absolute monster. they set a world record for fastest EV on that video....and 3.1sec for 0-60. one of the few times that tesla specs deliver more than promised. bravo.

I'd like to see a real match... looked like the hellcat driver didn't know how to shift*...

Having that much power (707 HP) from a motor requires (some level of) skill to have it appropriately transferred to the ground.
The Hellcat might actually be the faster of the two cars, it just requires a more talented driver than the one in the video: Car and Driver got 11.1 sec. in 1/4 mile with stock tires.

p85d is an absolute monster. they set a world record for fastest EV on that video....and 3.1sec for 0-60. one of the few times that tesla specs deliver more than promised. bravo.

Actually, Tesla tends to over-deliver regarding performance of their cars vs. their stated statistics.
I am not surprised by the 3.1 sec. 0-60 time.

However, timing wise for delivery of Model X and roll-out of Superchargers, yes, they have overstated their projections vs. deliverables.

Last edited:
Finally a 60' time on the P85D!! Thank you!!
For me, that just showcases the p85d in a drag race. I've been waiting for this since the inception.
1.65 is pretty insane considering street tires and 4600lbs!!
11.60's. Pretty amazing as well.
Elon nailed it.

Would love to see this done again, but with a competent hellcat driver.

That's always the excuse when an ICE loses badly to a Tesla -- blame it on the driver not the antiquated ICE technology. Admittedly, the guy had a false start but he would've been smoked anyway with a clean start.

Electric cars will keep smoking ICEs (and without any poisonous smoke:)) until ICE fanboys realize that electric cars are the future. The horse and buggy days will soon be over again.

I can imagine similar conversations a hundred years ago:

Said the jockey to the driver, "I would have bested you, sir, but for the unruliness of my horse that day."

Said the driver to the jockey, "But sir, your horse is unruly every day."

Last edited: