Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can I find 30 Amp NEMA 14-50 cords?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea as to where I could find short 30 amp extension cords (one male end, one female end)... ideally with at least one end having a plug that is in line with the cord (instead of being turned out 90 degrees)... also no more than 10ft in length (the shorter the better). The NEMA 14-50 is the plug I am looking at, however, I could settle for a different one. I just need both ends to be the same.

Thanks!

Andrew

With a 14-50 plug, you need a 50 amp rated cord. You can always dial back the charging rate. They are online for about 150.00 or so. It's about 1 full inch in diameter and heavy. I have a twenty footer. Suggest you don't try to make extension cords unless you are really careful on wire size and connections for the 10KW....

I do not think you will find a 14-50 less than 10 ft with one end "inline" (not at a right angle). And 14-50 would normally be 50A.

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea as to where I could find short 30 amp extension cords (one male end, one female end)... ideally with at least one end having a plug that is in line with the cord (instead of being turned out 90 degrees)... also no more than 10ft in length (the shorter the better). The NEMA 14-50 is the plug I am looking at

There are custom options here that can meet your criteria:

NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

I think you have to be REALLY careful with these adapters. They are by-passing the one safety generally available for wire fires. That is, put a 30 to 50 on, and pull on it with the 50 amp charger, and the house breaker better work. Same with the undersized extension cord.
So 30-30-30 is good. 50-50-50 is good. Otherwise, things are tricky and it may only takes one mistep. Then Tesla is in the news again...... just mho

...no more than 10ft in length (the shorter the better). The NEMA 14-50 is the plug I am looking at, however, I could settle for a different one. I just need both ends to be the same.

I made my own extension cord utilizing parts from Home Depot and ordering via Amazon. Total cost was $45 providing one already has the proper tools and an Electric Multimeter tester. In my opinion, one should only attempt in making their own extention cord is if they are familiar with how electrical currents work, otherwise bad things (like death) could happen.

So it might be better/safer to buy one, I'd recommend this site:

http://www.evseadapters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57

Last edited: