Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging strategy for day round-trip Los Angeles -> San Diego -> Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a business meeting in San Diego on Tuesday - my first "trip" in the new P85D. I've driven many, much longer trips in my 2013 S85. But this will be the first trip in the D, first Supercharger with the D, and I wanted to reset and solicit some advice from the forums.

I think there are 2 options for charging, and given that I have brand new car and battery - was wondering which would be the best. Rather than compute it by mileage, I've used percentages.

A - Home
B - Meeting
C - San Juan Capistrano Supercharger
D - Home

Option 1:

Leave A with 90%
Arrive B with 40%
Arrive C with 20% - Charge to 70% (25 minutes)
Leave C with 70%
Arrive D with 40%

Option 2:

Leave A with 100%
Arrive B with 50%
Arrive C with 30% - Charge to 70% (15 minutes)
Leave C with 70%
Arrive D with 40%

Based on this somewhat crude guess, I could save about 10 minutes charging if I charge to 100% the night before.

My question is - is it worth it? In either option, I'll make it with no range anxiety, so should I bother and "stress" the battery for 10 minutes savings in charge time? Yes my time is valuable, but 10 minutes is no big deal... Is it really that bad to charge the battery to 100%? In this case I don't have to - so should I?

p.s. Not to be OT, but I still don't get everyone's desire for a 110kWH battery. With all the Superchargers being deployed, personally, at least for me in CA, I could probably make all my trips with a 60kWh.

On trips like this, I almost always try to finish a 100% charge an hour or two before departure. Being at 100% in a cool garage for a few hours does little to the life of the battery, occasional 100% charges with time to balance after keeps the pack balanced and lets you squeeze another 1-3 miles of range from the pack, and 25 more miles in the pack just adds comfort in case the unexpected happens.

Charging from 20% to 30% at the Supercharger is probably only 5-6 minutes, but that is still 5-6 minutes that you save on your trip.

Have fun!

Yeah, I would charge to 100% at home. I did this before heading from Carlsbad to Indian Wells last weekend and it was nice to have the cushion, especially because it was raining pretty hard which increased my energy use more than I had planned.

Set the slider to 90% for your overnight charge. When you wake up in the morning, presumably with about an hour left to get ready before you have to leave, increase the slider to 100% and start the charge, which will take about 1 hour. That way it doesn't sit for hours at 100% SOC. I did the morning step via the app from bed right after my alarm woke me up. It all worked perfectly.

I have made a number of trips to San Diego and back without charging in our S85--we live in the Long beach area. Of course these trips were before San Juan Capistrano was open. Once I charged a little near the automotive museum in Balboa Park on a level 2 charger--hardly worth the effort. I would recommend charging to 100% before you leave, and then you can stop for a while on the way back at San Juan Capistrano.

I think we try to set the world record and drive without air conditioning, 55/mph,/and no USB plugged in and see how far we can take it! I think we can squeeze out 400 miles and come back with a new world record for the P95D.

I think we try to set the world record and drive without air conditioning, 55/mph,/and no USB plugged in and see how far we can take it! I think we can squeeze out 400 miles and come back with a new world record for the P95D.

If memory serves me right, a father and son team in south Florida drove ~400 miles on one full charge in 2012 but of course there was no D model then. I don't know what thread holds the story, though. Maybe some of the older posters in the forum can help locate it.

Last edited:
I think the father and son team that went 400 miles were featured as a blog on the main Tesla website. I think he is a college professor in Florida. The son was not driving age, so it was a long tedious drive for the dad. If i remember correctly I think they plotted a course that was flat and drove for 17 hours at 30 mph. Elon offered a prize to the first one to go 400 miles. A few days after we got our model S in December 2012, we went to the Holiday Bowl at Qualcomm stadium in San Diego. I remember being nervous about range driving back late at night after the game.

Trip report:

I ended up looking at range and there was no way to make it to San Diego from Los Angeles and then back to SJC SC without range anxiety / running out, so I went with a "2 stop strategy" and charged at SJC SC on the way down and again on the way back up. I left my house with 100%.

A - Home
B - San Juan Capistrano Supercharger
C - Meeting

Left A - 100%
Arrived B - 64%
Left B - 89%
Arrived C - 57% 350 Wh/mi
Arrived B - 26%
Left B - 60%
Arrived A - 27% 360 Wh/mi

Loved the TACC on I-5. Used it at least 60% of the drive.

wow you added 25% battery at the first SC stop - and if you hadn't made that stop, you'd have had 25% less battery when you arrived there northbound. so instead of a comfortable 26%, it could have been in the ballpark of 1%.

you chose ... wisely.

Something else about SJC, I went down there on Tuesday as well (from Los Angeles), stopped at SJC (around noon) and they were full, luckily someone just left. Took forever to get my miles up. On the way home (around 5pm), totally full again. Gained around 90 miles in 30 minutes. That lot during the day is very busy/crowded! They really need something else nearby to relieve the charging traffic.

Yeah, the SJC SC is definitely a D grade compared to other SC's. The intersection around it seems to be in perpetual construction, the stalls are tight. I even saw one guy charging from the other side of the curb. That SC needs a refactoring.