Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener with geofencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for an add-on device that will make my garage door opener controllable with a smartphone.

Seems like there aren't a lot of different options at this point.
This one seems easy to install and compatible with most existing openers:
LiftMaster - MyQ Accessories - 821LM | LiftMaster

Ideally, I would love one that would also allow geofencing such that the door would automatically open when the phone is within X-number of feet from the house. (Obviously, with various parameters present to avoid unwanted openings). It doesn't appear the MyQ does this.

Just curious if anyone has come across anything like this.

Ideally, the HomeLink in the Tesla could do this with a bit of software...

I'd guess there would be times when you don't want it to open/close just because you're in the area with your Tesla or iPhone. Garage door openers aren't smart, they either open or close depending upon where the door is at the time they receive the signal. You'd have to replace the garage door opener with a smart garage door opener to implement this function in a sane manner.

Ideally this would be baked into the Tesla software.

Currently I do the same for my motorcycle using a combination of bluetooth, z-wave home automation, Android/Tasker automation, and wifi.

For example, when my Android phone is paired to my motorcycle helmet bluetooth, and comes in range of my home's wifi, Tasker will trigger the open garage door scene on my home automation network. Result is I can ride directly into the garage without fumbling for the garage door opener or getting off to enter a code.

I found a few limitations for geofencing which made me revert back to old school wifi:
- hard to tell when I'm entering or leaving (need to create 2 concentric geo fences to simulate entering/leaving)
- misfires can happen, i.e. driving back past my house after taking the kids to the bus stop, don't want the door to open
- battery drain on my phone/latency tradeoff

Another thing to note is that this is only useful if you know the current status of the garage door. Blindly sending a homelink command can inadvertently do exactly the opposite of what you wanted (i.e. garage door is already open by kids playing in the driveway).

Tesla could do this with a software update and a garage module. Another project for the intern working on the self charging snake robot? :D

I've tested two different smart home garage openers on my blog:
COMPARISON: Smart Garage Door Openers .. Chamberlain MyQ MYQ-G0201 versus Linear GD00Z-4 | ari jay comet

However, I don't yet have any experience trying to tie this into the Tesla, per se. You could make something work using certain hubs, Life360 or similar, or other geofencing based apps/software. I don't think it would tie into the Tesla as easily, though as noted above, Visible Tesla & Indigo work to make this happen on some level. I've not personally played with those (yet).... but figured you may enjoy the feedback/link above for some insight to options! :)