Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions RE: Aftermarket Wheels, Offsets, Tire Sizes, etc...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 MS85 has the optional 21" wheels (about 1,200 miles on them, in storage now for winter time -- have dealer installed 19" winter setup on the car now). I've been enjoying the smaller size, extra tire, here in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm not sure how I feel about the 21s come summer, not so much ride quality as much as road quality.

At this point I'm seriously considering going with an aftermarket 20" wheel/tire combo and have the following questions:

(1) - What sort of money do people normally get selling the factory 21" wheel/tire combo? I'd sell it all complete, so again this is a 1,200 mile old 21" (GREY color) factory setup, wheels + tires + TPMS. What sort of asking price, what sort of sale price is typical?

(2) - Looking at going with aftermarket wheels for summer, I'm leaning towards a 20x9 (or 20x8,5) setup. Do most people go staggered? I'm partial to being able to rotate for maximum tire life, but curious what results others have had. Sure I could go staggered for more rear tire, but then rotation and tire life is more limited, right? Thoughts? (realize this can be a bit opinion based, but hearing others results is ideal)

(3) - What tire size in 20" is most popular? I'd imagine a 245/40-20 since that is closest to OEM. But is anyone out there running something more aggressive like 275/35-20 all around? Is 275 too wide to fit up front? Seems like the most "slick" setup would be 20x9 all around on 275 tires, so you get the added grip, can still rotate, but will that fit/clear okay up front (ET35)? Will it handle worse due to the excessively wide up front rubber?

Right now I'm considering wheel options such as TSW Nurburgring or Verde Axis V99 .... but I'd really love to go custom forged if money permits (will depend on answer to #1 above and how much cash I can get from OE setup). Still, what I'm leaning towards would be a 20x9 ET35 245/40-20 setup all around for simplicity. Looking for suggested setups tho, tire sizes, etc... TIA for any helpful feedback. - Ari

Last edited:
I've downsized from 21" to 20"

Running 20x9 up front with 255/40/20 and 20x10 rear with 285/35/20 pilot super sports. Really like the setup and handles much better than before. 275/40/20 will not fit in the front as 255 already rubs slightly.

I just installed a set of staggered 20" Vossen VFS1 wheels.

Front rim: 20x9 (+35 offset), tire: 255/40/20 Michelin PSS
Rear rim: 20x10.5 (+42 offset), tire: 285/35/20 Michelin PSS
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480

Does this setup fit without the need of anything like spacers or working in the wheel well? Any rubbing when backing up and full turn?
You'll need 6 mm hub-centric spacers for the rear wheels, and it has to be 6 mm, no more ... no less. I had the spacers at 10 mm and that was too thick for the studs to provide at least 5-6 thread engagement with the bolts, I had to shave it down to 6 mm. The 6 mm is needed to push out the wheels from touching the inner wheel well liner, this liner is not rigid and can flap in and out as much as 1/2", I had the shop to zip tie it in place. The 6 mm would clear this flapping action, but I just wanted to have belt & suspender.

The front does very slightly rub the back of the wheel well liner on the driver side during reverse only at a particular angle. It is not that big of a deal for me, but if you want to be clear from rubbing, go with 245/40/20 tire.

Thank you a lot for the enhanced description. Problem here is not so much what I want (rubbing...), but what the car controlling state instances are willing to accept. In Switzerland, you got to have checked and registered about everything you change. Special documents/testings/cost for rims, spacers...

And you will never come away with rubbing. Won't let you go through... :(

I prefer:

1. ET 35-40mm (40 is factory)
2. 20x9" as this allows many tire combinations such as (4) 245/40-20's, (4) 255/40-20's (may exp. front rubbing at or near lock position), 245/40-20 (front) 265/40-20 (rear) which is nearly identical to P85+ staggards
3. Not to deploy wheel spacers (accomplished with proper wheel selection and planning)
4. To purchase (5) wheels (as lola recommends) to have as a back-up since aftermarket manuf. often discontinue older styles

Last edited:
I prefer:

1. ET 35-40mm
2. 20x9" as this allows many tire combinations such as (4) 245/40-20's, (4) 255/40-20's (may exp. front rubbing at or near lock position), 245/40-20 (front) 265/40-20 (rear) which is nearly identical to P85+ staggards
3. Not to deploy wheel spacers (accomplished with proper wheel selection and planning)
4. To purchase (5) wheels (as lola recommends) to have as a back-up since aftermarket manuf. often discontinue older styles
That would ideal and was my guideline when I was in search for my wheels. However, I ended up looking for the wheel selection that looks good to me first then add spacers to make it work. Spacer is not that big of a deal, but finding the right looking wheel for me was.

Bought after market wheels

I Actually test drove the 21" and the 19" and found that the 21" wheels were quite bumpy and stiff riding.

so I went with after market wheels Vossen 20" CVS1

Vossen Wheels

I put these on and they look awesome on my Black Tesla P98D. 20x9 in the front and 20 x 10.5 in the rears.
this ride is a compromise between the 19" and the 21".

The 21 " wheels from the dealer was a $4500 + tax option which comes to about $4900. I went ahead and got my Vossens and Toyo tires for $3200 including tax and will sell my factory 19" wheels for about $1500. So my new set of wheels only cost me $1,700 for the upgrade.

So instead of paying $4900 and having a bumpy and stiff ride I went this route and the ride is so much better.

David

I Actually test drove the 21" and the 19" and found that the 21" wheels were quite bumpy and stiff riding.

so I went with after market wheels Vossen 20" CVS1

Vossen Wheels

I put these on and they look awesome on my Black Tesla P98D. 20x9 in the front and 20 x 10.5 in the rears.
this ride is a compromise between the 19" and the 21".

The 21 " wheels from the dealer was a $4500 + tax option which comes to about $4900. I went ahead and got my Vossens and Toyo tires for $3200 including tax and will sell my factory 19" wheels for about $1500. So my new set of wheels only cost me $1,700 for the upgrade.

So instead of paying $4900 and having a bumpy and stiff ride I went this route and the ride is so much better.

David
Let's see some pics! 20" vossens would look incredible. I don't think anyones posted 20" vossens that I've seen on this forum.

Let's see some pics! 20" vossens would look incredible. I don't think anyones posted 20" vossens that I've seen on this forum.
I've posted my 20" Vossen VFS1 on page 1, here are some indoor & outdoor lighting pics.

• Front rim: 20x9 (+35 offset), tire: 255/40/20 Michelin PSS
  • Rear rim: 20x10.5 (+42 offset), tire: 285/35/20 Michelin PSS
  • You'll need 6mm spacers on the rear wheels.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Reactions: linkster
I changed my wheels Tesla Base Size: 19X8.0" Offset: +40 PCD: 5X120 Center Bore: 64.1mm for RWC BM07 19x8.5 5x120 ET37 CB72.6 and since then I hear something scratching like metal to metal. I checked and doesn't see anything. Any ideas?

The strut angles outboard from the top towards the bottom which is why the smaller diameter 19s can not be as wide as a 20”, and the same goes for a 20” in that it also does not have the same amount of strut to rim clearance as a 21”.
You can just run your hand over the top of tire and down the inboard side of the sidewall where it meets the rim and check wheel to strut clearance with your fingers. In essence, you would need a ~34mm ET to have the same inboard clearance if you deploy an aftermarket 19X8.5”. TSportline has already figured this out by reducing the ET to +35 on their beautiful 19x8.5” turbines. I hope this explanation is helpful.

Good-Luck!

• Informative
Reactions: The Duke
You'll need 6 mm hub-centric spacers for the rear wheels, and it has to be 6 mm, no more ... no less. I had the spacers at 10 mm and that was too thick for the studs to provide at least 5-6 thread engagement with the bolts, I had to shave it down to 6 mm. The 6 mm is needed to push out the wheels from touching the inner wheel well liner, this liner is not rigid and can flap in and out as much as 1/2", I had the shop to zip tie it in place. The 6 mm would clear this flapping action, but I just wanted to have belt & suspender.

The front does very slightly rub the back of the wheel well liner on the driver side during reverse only at a particular angle. It is not that big of a deal for me, but if you want to be clear from rubbing, go with 245/40/20 tire.
Hello,

I know this post is old, but I hope you are still around.

I'm about to run the exact same specs for my Vossen 20", but with 245 in front to avoid rubbing. I have ordered some 6mm spacers from the US, but thanks to USPS it looks like it won't arrive in time for fitting. Do you by any chance think that 5mm or 8mm spacers will work as a temporary measure? I can't for the life of me find 6mm locally.

Thanks in advance for any insight!