Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It “appears” that Kayenta is on the map for a Supercharger in 2016. If you’re going to visit the amazing scenery that is Monument Valley, it’s likely you’re going through Kayenta. It’s a town within the Navajo Nation that has about 5,000 people, a couple of hotels, a hardware store, several fast-food restaurants, a few local restaurants, one bank, a supermarket, a few churches, and one of the best Native American Rodeos on the 4th of July.

If you’re not going to Monument Valley, maybe you’re headed to Tuba City, Teec Nos Pos, the Four Corners, or a SpC at Flagstaff AZ, Blanding CO or Farmington NM. A supercharger at Kayenta will fill in the spaces between charge points, but it’s rather barren.

Be sure to say hello in Navajo “Yá'át'ééh.” Even if you completely screw it up, the locals will either be amused or will appreciate your effort!

Kayanta1.gif
kayenta2.gif
Kayenta3.gif
Kayenta4.gif

All

Perfect location!

Stayed overnight in Kayenta last July on my Cross Country drive back to NY after TMC Connect with my mom. Reserved a 14-50 at Gouldings to charge for 3 hours while we took their 3 hour Monument Valley tour so we could make it to the Blanding, UT Supercharger....

Aaron

I am so pleased! The Owens Valley in California (Hwy 395) and now the Navajo Rez? These are two of my favorite, most frequently visited places!!! Only thing that could be better would be to Supercharge Mexico #1 in Baja Norte and Baja Sur. Oh yeah, the Cassair Hwy in BC would be nice too!

I'd love to see Kayenta and Page Superchargers in the next 2 months instead of 2016... We're planning a spring break road trip looping from Phoenix, up to Page / Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab and returning via Vegas...

Looks like we'll need to do a RV park charge in Page and Monument Valley (Gouldings) instead...

I'd love to see Kayenta and Page Superchargers in the next 2 months instead of 2016... We're planning a spring break road trip looping from Phoenix, up to Page / Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab and returning via Vegas...

Looks like we'll need to do a RV park charge in Page and Monument Valley (Gouldings) instead...
ZBB, on your trip, may I recommend Bluff Utah. You can charge at one of the RV parks, stay at the wonderful "Recapture Lodge" (of author Edward Abbey fame), and my #1 recommendation is the one-day, San Juan River raft trip with Wild Rivers Expeditions.

Now, if we could just get Tesla to also install SCs in Ash Fork or Williams, and Tusayan (there's a Holiday Inn Express there), so that eastbound I-40 travelers heading to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon don't have to go 53 miles out of their way via Flagstaff in order to reach the South Rim. While we're at it, add SCs in Cortez CO (Mesa Verde; Cortez will be in range from Moab, Blanding, Kayenta and Farmington), Bryce Canyon Village UT, and Torrey UT (Capitol Reef) to enable those NPs to be visited.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon will require an SC in Jacob Lake so that will probably have to wait, and one in Cameron, AZ on the eastern approach to the South Rim would make trips to-from Page or Grand Canyon and Kayenta a lot easier. The J1772s in Springdale, UT and inside Zion make an SC in Springdale and/or somewhere along U.S. 89 (Mt. Carmel Junction - Panguitch area) less critical, although the leg from Richfield to Springdale is too long for 60s in inclement weather. Adding an SC in Hanksville would connect Torrey to Blanding, and close the last remaining major gap in southern Utah. Just to be thorough, put SCs in Delta, UT and Baker, NV, so that people can get to Great Basin NP.

Last edited:
While we're at it, add SCs in Cortez CO (Mesa Verde; Cortez will be in range from Moab, Blanding, Kayenta and Farmington), Bryce Canyon Village UT, and Torrey UT (Capitol Reef) to enable those NPs to be visited.
Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde has a 40A Tesla charger, and a 30A J1772 for those visiting the park. Far View Lodge is probably the best place in the park to stay, since it's central to everything. I highly recommend!

Many times have I jumped 230 miles or more, and the jump from Holbrook to Blanding is only 225, which is part of the Scottsdale to Moab run I am making on my next planned tour.

Many times I have stopped in Southern Oregon for an hour at a 70 amp charger on my way from Boise to Bend. The charger was put in by myself and a friend.

Many times do I hear people "wanting" a charger in one place or another so they can make it somewhere. There are a LOT of places that are a stretch, and they are doable if one could only slow down and follow the truckers instead of the gas cars doing ten or twenty over the limit.

Many times I hear people "needing" a charger somewhere, only to find out that they chose to buy a 60.

I guess I am fortunate to understand that pack size matters, that range increases as you slow down, and that Tesla will probably not build out the SC network this year. I am fortunate that TMC has people that are willing to help put in chargers that bridge gaps. I would recommend using this method for filling in gaps that you feel are "necessary".

I would also recommend that people thinking of buying a Tesla opt for stretching past their current financial limits and getting the bigger battery. What with eventual 30% degradation, and current inconveniences in driving out past the city limits, a 60 kWh battery just doesn't cut it.

I'm waiting for the 120 kWh.

Many times have I jumped 230 miles or more, and the jump from Holbrook to Blanding is only 225, which is part of the Scottsdale to Moab run I am making on my next planned tour.

Many times I have stopped in Southern Oregon for an hour at a 70 amp charger on my way from Boise to Bend. The charger was put in by myself and a friend.

Many times do I hear people "wanting" a charger in one place or another so they can make it somewhere. There are a LOT of places that are a stretch, and they are doable if one could only slow down and follow the truckers instead of the gas cars doing ten or twenty over the limit.

Many times I hear people "needing" a charger somewhere, only to find out that they chose to buy a 60.

I guess I am fortunate to understand that pack size matters, that range increases as you slow down, and that Tesla will probably not build out the SC network this year. I am fortunate that TMC has people that are willing to help put in chargers that bridge gaps. I would recommend using this method for filling in gaps that you feel are "necessary".

I would also recommend that people thinking of buying a Tesla opt for stretching past their current financial limits and getting the bigger battery. What with eventual 30% degradation, and current inconveniences in driving out past the city limits, a 60 kWh battery just doesn't cut it.

+1 Amen, brother!!

Ok, if that slam was aimed at me because I chose to save the $8.5k and stretch to just get a CPO 60, I have my reasons. One is that the longest leg I will routinely drive is Tremonton UT to Twin Falls ID, 148 miles, which is doable even in a degraded 60 (I don't make the trip in winter). The second is that I am in no hurry on long trips so the extra charging time should be of no concern, unlike with some people who live their lives in a desperate hurry (I listen to audio books and just chill while I drive). The third is that I view the S60 as an interim car before I can get the car I really want: a Model 3 with AWD and a longer range.

As for Kayenta, it is an obvious hole in the map for this area, because that is the main route from Four Corners to Flagstaff, used by everyone who makes that trip. I am ok with going the long way through Gallup. Kayenta is in the "would be nice" category for me, not the "essential" category.

Reactions: SageBrush
ISTM SCs need to be spaced to serve ALL Teslas, not just those at the upper end of the price scale. Which is to say, they need to serve S60s and Model 3s (assuming they'll have about the same range) in inclement conditions with degraded batteries. Otherwise, if SCs are only to be for the extremely well off, Tesla should say so now and S60 plus potential Model 3/Y owners will know they need to look elsewhere. It must be nice to be able to say, 'of course, the longest-ranged, most expensive Tesla is the best car for roadtrips, so I'll just write a check for one out of the petty cash account, or maybe find some loose Franklins in my sock drawer,' but according to Tesla they're trying to expand their owner base to the hoi polloi. Oh, the horror! Why, next thing you know they'll be nominating some of 'those people' for Oscars.

Last edited:
Near Monument Valley is Gouldings which has Nema 14-50 you can use.

We'll be staying at Gouldings...

177 miles from Gouldings to Flagstaff is a pretty long haul in a 60. I think the longer way through Gallup will do for now until the Kayenta Supercharger station opens. Farmington (135 miles) is closer to my house than Blanding (161 miles) anyway.

The 177 miles will use ~213 rated miles per EV Trip Planner -- so out of range for a 60 without a charge stop. Detour to Farmington/Gallup/Holbrook adds ~190 extra miles to the trip and 2 extra supercharger stops.

There is at least an HPWC available in Tuba City.

Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites

Our plan is to stop at Moenkopi for an hour or so and get enough range boost to make it back to Flagstaff...

- - - Updated - - -

I really enjoy my 60. Road tripping in it works just fine, thank you. I've put around 7k road trip miles on it, including an AZ to BC round trip, a well as a couple in-state AZ trips without access to Superchargers. A little planning goes a long way, and we've never had any range issues. Sure, an 85 would supercharge a bit faster during road trips, but spending another $8k up front just wasn't worth it for me.

Reactions: gene and GSP
I would also recommend that people thinking of buying a Tesla opt for stretching past their current financial limits and getting the bigger battery.

I agree. That's exactly what I did. Getting a Model S was a little of a stretch for me but there was never a doubt ordering it with the 85 battery as it is my only car. Many many times have I needed the full range or it made my trip just a little more comfortable. On almost all my road trip (using Superchargers) has it decreased my total trip time.

...The 177 miles will use ~213 rated miles per EV Trip Planner -- so out of range for a 60 without a charge stop. Detour to Farmington/Gallup/Holbrook adds ~190 extra miles to the trip and 2 extra supercharger stops...
Depends on where one is coming from, of course. For me Flagstaff is 418 miles via Blanding/Kayenta and 436 miles via Farmington/Gallup/Holbrook. Although the distance isn't that much different, the route via US 191 and US 160 through Monument Valley and Kayenta is a lot nicer to drive than I-40, IME.