Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian EV sales results 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV Sales: Australia Full Year 2014 (Updated)

Outlander PHEV hits number one and Tesla enters the fray.

table EV.jpg

18days at 5 cars per day is 90 cars. I personally saw at least 35 cars under the building late last year. The figure quoted for 2014 is wrong. They delivered 10 cars on the launch night.

I reckon it would be pretty close though as 10 on launch and a few more on the 29th but then others had to wait until the new year to take delivery. Remember those figures are for 2014 and there were really only a couple of weeks to deliver cars before the end of year.

- - - Updated - - -

We should at least overtake the Leaf this year. The i3 will climb too, I saw one yesterday, much sexier and smaller that it looks in photos

The issue with the i3 is it's $80K! If it was in the $60's I think it would sell better but at $80K it's a real niche car.

I reckon it would be pretty close though as 10 on launch and a few more on the 29th but then others had to wait until the new year to take delivery. Remember those figures are for 2014 and there were really only a couple of weeks to deliver cars before the end of year.

There were a number of cars delivered between the launch event and those that got cars on the 29th. I am sure that I was not the only person (as signature reservation 32) that got my car just before Christmas. I reckon a better estimate would be 30-40 which would then beat the i3.

That's pretty impressive for the Outlander! Especially considering it only really went on sale around April/May. Definitely my choice from that list after the Model S.

I think the Model S should do pretty well this year as the public get to know it exists and due to the efforts of enthusiastic owners! :biggrin:

A common question today at the All American Car Show was who I got to convert the car to RHD.
There were a lot of people who are still not aware that Tesla is now in Australia officially.
I'm predicting there may be a few visits to the St Leonard's store next week as a result.

That's pretty impressive for the Outlander! Especially considering it only really went on sale around April/May. Definitely my choice from that list after the Model S.

I think the Model S should do pretty well this year as the public get to know it exists and due to the efforts of enthusiastic owners! :biggrin:

Speaking as someone who has bought an Outlander, for 2 reasons - price and availability at the time, I am impressed with those figures too... The best thing though, is that there are more types of cars available to consumers, and as a whole the EV market is getting bigger and better!

Speaking as someone who has bought an Outlander, for 2 reasons - price and availability at the time, I am impressed with those figures too... The best thing though, is that there are more types of cars available to consumers, and as a whole the EV market is getting bigger and better!

Yes, slowly but surely, it's starting to take off. Maybe we'll start getting some other options in AU soon? Merc B class electric drive and VW e-golf would be a great start.

How are you enjoying the PHEV? I test drove one on the weekend, and enjoyed the drive comfort, but was a little disappointed with the quality inside (for a $55k car). Although it wasn't bad or anything. A glass pano roof would make it feel very premium i think, as it's available in the normal range.

Also, was I missing something really obvious when i drove it.. I couldn't find any way to set it to EV only, for a short drive where you know you're between powerpoints, this seems like a no brainer to me? All I could find was eco mode, which seems to just make the ICE kick in with a bit more right foot.

The adaptive cruise control was brilliant!

I really wouldn't trust the figures from that site. At least until I see a good source quoted.

For example, he published the figures for October 2014 for Hong Kong, and they are completely wrong - seems to be just guessing on his part, with no hard sources (and the figures quoted differ from the known hard sources). For Australia, he is sourcing bestsellingcarsblog.com which does the magic trick of releasing full year figures for 2014 Hong Kong, more than a month before the government themselves release the figures.

Yes, slowly but surely, it's starting to take off. Maybe we'll start getting some other options in AU soon? Merc B class electric drive and VW e-golf would be a great start.

Certainly a theory of 'more the merrier'

How are you enjoying the PHEV? I test drove one on the weekend, and enjoyed the drive comfort, but was a little disappointed with the quality inside (for a $55k car). Although it wasn't bad or anything. A glass pano roof would make it feel very premium i think, as it's available in the normal range.

I agree completely, there are certain things they did brilliantly, and then there's other things they certainly could've done a lot better... I came from a cx7, so purchase price was about the same, but the 7 was certainly a better car. One is the front seat comfort. Let's just say my body isn't young, and I do about 1100-1200 k's week, and if I have to spend any more than 2-3 hours straight in the seat, I'm ready to become a raving lunatic...

Also, was I missing something really obvious when i drove it.. I couldn't find any way to set it to EV only, for a short drive where you know you're between powerpoints, this seems like a no brainer to me? All I could find was eco mode, which seems to just make the ICE kick in with a bit more right foot.

Nope, you're not missing anything, there is no 'switch', just your ability to learn where the point of engagement is for the ICE, and stay below it...

The adaptive cruise control was brilliant![/QUOTE]

A little too good hahaha. When I get in other cars now I can't believe I have to break myself! It is really good, and so useful in slow moving traffic as you barely have to touch a pedal for the journey.

EV Sales: Australia Full Year 2014 (Updated)

Outlander PHEV hits number one and Tesla enters the fray.

View attachment 69508

Sorry for digging up this older post, but using the figures found by meloccom and raynewman on the more recent thread on a similar theme there were 65 model S registered in NSW alone in 2014. Even assuming that none were registered in VIC (demonstrators?) that would mean that Model S came third overall for 2014 electric vehicle sales. It certainly will make for an interesting 2015 - the outlander PHEV sales of 895 wouldn't seem to be entirely out of the question for model S deliveries for this year?

wow .... Outlander really doing well. When was it release in Australia?
Review says it only gets 50km range on pure EV mode. That's really bad ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to think of PHEV's as electric vehicles with training wheels and credit to Mitsubishi for bringing one to EV unfriendly Australia. The more people who experience electric motoring the more they will come to realise the superiority of an electric motor over an ICE. I do hope Mitsubishi and its dealers are more committed to plugin vehicles than Holden GM as my one experience of a Volt test drive was not good and then there the Volt's price. Fortunately now that the Outlander PHEV has been on sale since March 2014 it seems to be doing Much better than the Volt.

I like to think of PHEV's as electric vehicles with training wheels and credit to Mitsubishi for bringing one to EV unfriendly Australia. The more people who experience electric motoring the more they will come to realise the superiority of an electric motor over an ICE. I do hope Mitsubishi and its dealers are more committed to plugin vehicles than Holden GM as my one experience of a Volt test drive was not good and then there the Volt's price. Fortunately now that the Outlander PHEV has been on sale since March 2014 it seems to be doing Much better than the Volt.

It doesn't hurt that at least one popular motoring magazine had an Outlander PHEV as a long term test car and seemed to be fairly fond of it. The pricing is also pretty reasonable for what you are getting.