Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I'm creating a new thread so everyone is clear that we're moving forward with production of these custom 2 piece rotors for the Roadster. It was recommended to create a new thread to avoid any confusion people may have with the previous long technical thread. So with that, this is a "last call" thread to alert Roadster owners that if they want to get on the list for this group buy.

Add yourself to the list if you want to pick up a set and then please mail out the check to Dave Levy which I've indicated below. If you have any technical questions please post them in the original rotor thread (listed below) and use this current thread to manage the order list, payment, etc. Feel free to call Dave if you have any questions you may have. He indicated he's happy to help and that he's open for calls if you need to talk to him. In the event you find a problem trying to contact Dave, please PM me and I'll forward you his cell which he freely gave out. I don't want to make that public unless necessary (respect of his personal privacy). I really don't expect any issue with his responsiveness. He's very prompt, professional, and an expert with braking systems so I feel we're very fortunate in connecting up with him for sure.

Original Custom Rotor thread: Custom Aluminum Rotors - A possibility

=======
PAYMENT
=======

**Please include and indicate your TMC member screen name with your payment as well as your personal email**

Total cost for the custom 2 piece slotted rotors with the nickel plated aluminum hat, cast steel rotor ring, and two metal treatments on the ring will be: $1595
Dave has talked to Carbotech who'll be offering us a discount if we buy new pads at the same time. The cost of the AX6 compound brake pads for the entire front/rear set is: $280
*If you would like the Bobcat 1521 brake compound, please indicate that.

Once the rotors have been produced and fully assembled Dave will calculate payment for shipping, since we don't know what the weight will be. If you ordered the brake pads, he'll throw them in there as well. Again, shipping payment will be collected after production has completed. At this time Dave will accept personal checks, paypal, or credit card payments to help expedite things. Personal checks are preferred as like the rotor payment for that fees are involved with CC & PP transactions.

To be considered as a valid order you must send your $1595 payment immediately to be considered part of this group buy. Dave estimated it will take up to 12 weeks to complete the order once he's received the 10th payment for shipping only to help expedite the process. But personal check again is recommended since there are fees involved otherwise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please make the check payable to Dave Levy and mail to:
ATTN: Dave Levy
Cedar Ridge Fabrication
15707 NW McNamee Road
Portland OR 97231 USA

Phone: 503-621-9670
Fax: 503-621-9670
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Spec's of the custom 2 piece rotor we're making:

a) 2 piece design - Aluminum Nickel plated inner hat with cast steel outer rotor ring.
*Allows for even heat distribution across the steel brake rotor disc. Less chance of warping.
*Inner aluminum hat reduces weight, at the wheel its called "unsprung" weight. Benefits include quicker acceleration, quicker braking, and quicker response from the suspension.
b) Slotted brake rotor / disc
*This helps clean the brake pad by scraping it of foreign particles / debris.
c) Metal treatment to prevent corrosion
*The inner aluminum hat will be coated with a nickel plating
*The outer steel brake disc will have two metal treatments performed. The first will be using a process called FNC which is the same metal treatment process that Chevy uses on the Volt to prevent rust on the discs. The second will be a black oxide coating, this gives a black / anodized look to the rotor and also protects it from corrosion. Both these treatments have shown to help improve performance of braking under wet conditions/rain. The FNC is a stronger treatment than the black oxide.
d) The inner aluminum hat will be coupled to the steel rotor using a total of eight 5/16" (grade 5) fasteners. These fasteners will be safety wired tied.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Again, This is the LAST CALL for ordering the Custom Rotors for the Tesla Roadster.
Add yourself to the list and immediately send out your payment.

Otherwise forever hold your peace.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- - - Updated - - -

[As of 1/17/2015@3:12PM (PST)]

The following member's payment has been received:
1) adiggs
2) EMF
3) ggr
4) Roadster08
5) ViperDoc

The following member's payment has not currently been received, but member indicated payment is/has been mailed:
1) hcsharp
2) wiztecy
3) dsm363

The following member's payment has not been received, and no communication that payment its been sent:
1) Tobash - Notes: 1) Please send payment 2) PM your full name 3) PM your personal email 4) Indicate if you want to have the CarboTech brake pads packaged
2) TSLAVP16 - Notes: 1) Please send payment 2) PM your full name 3) PM your personal email 4) Indicate if you want to have the CarboTech brake pads packaged
3) visionik - 1) Please send payment 2) PM your full name 3) PM your personal email 4) Indicate if you want to have the CarboTech brake pads packaged

*Please send payment ASAP and reply to me via PM or this thread that you have sent it out. Otherwise please indicate you want to be removed from the list/order. No response will default to not interested and removal from the list:

**Also feel free to let me know if there's any mistakes and/or updates**

Last edited:
Just found this thread.. and yes I might be interested too..
My stock rotors needed replacement after only 20000kms, while the pads were still at 6mm.. Unusual wear, and even after changing rotors and pads, braking performance has not improved. The SeC will replace the "brake booster" in 2 weeks (under warranty), but I doubt this will help. If I don't see any improvement, I would go for these 2-piece rotors, if the offer still stands after Jan 30th..

Since I can't edit my original thread above (please don't get me started), re-posting to update the new state of the group by list.

Also sent PMs to Tobash, TLSAVP16, and visionik to notify that we haven't heard back even though interest was shown very early on in the group buy. I really don't want to leave you guys out, so please get back to me ASAP. Thanks! We currently have 10 committed payments coming in, so production is considered a GO once the 10th payment has been received.

[As of 1/18/2015@6:18PM (PST)]
-added: Six

1) adiggs
2) EMF
3) ggr
4) Roadster08
5) ViperDoc

The following member's payment has not currently been received, but member indicated payment is in the mail:
1) hcsharp
2) wiztecy
3) dsm363
4) strider
5) tomsax
6) Six

The following member has indicated an interest, but awaiting final decision at a later date:
1) m0rph (yes/no response by 1/31/15 and initiate payment)

The following member's payment has not been received, and no communication that payment its been sent, PMs have been sent to notify members we're moving forward and need payment ASAP:
1) Tobash - Notes: 1) Please send payment 2) PM your full name 3) PM your personal email 4) Indicate if you want to have the CarboTech brake pads packaged
2) TSLAVP16 - Notes: 1) Please send payment 2) PM your full name 3) PM your personal email 4) Indicate if you want to have the CarboTech brake pads packaged
3) visionik - 1) Please send payment 2) PM your full name 3) PM your personal email 4) Indicate if yo

Last edited:
Adding a couple of pics of what the rotors will sorta look like. The ones for the Roadster will have the black oxide as the final finish on the rotor disc giving it a satin black look. These pics are from Dave's latest batch he made for the Lotus Elise.

The pics I posted in the original custom rotor thread were from some of his earliest runs which I came across on the Lotus forum. The aluminum hats are now beveled, make them look nicer.

Lotus_Elise_front_rotor,_out.JPG

Lotus_Elise_front_rotor,_inside.JPG

My check will be in the mail on Monday as well.
(Thanks, Tom, for pointing this out to me!)

Great. Thanks Scott. Also do you want the brake pads packaged with this?

If other's can forward this group by to any other forums/mail lists, feel free. We picked up even more interests with just 2 small local Tesla Yahoo groups. Just hate to see someone wanting to jump on board but finding out too late.

The cutoff to get on-board for this group buy will be the end of this month, January 31st.

----------------------------

[As of 1/19/2015@9:33AM (PST)]
-added: scottfe, graham

1) adiggs
2) EMF
3) ggr
4) Roadster08
5) ViperDoc

The following member's payment has not currently been received, but member indicated payment is in the mail:
1) hcsharp
2) wiztecy
3) dsm363
4) strider
5) tomsax
6) Six
7) scottfe
8) graham

The following member has indicated an interest, but awaiting final decision at a later date:
1) m0rph (yes/no response by 1/31/15 and initiate payment)

The following member's payment has not been received, and no communication that payment its been sent, PMs have been sent to notify members we're moving forward and need payment ASAP:
1) Tobash - Notes: 1) payment? 2) PM full name 3) PM personal email 4) brake package?
2) TSLAVP16 - Notes: 1) payment? 2) PM full name 3) PM personal email 4) brake package?
3) visionik - Notes: 1) payment? 2) PM full name 3) PM personal email 4) brake package?

Along those lines wiztecy, for those of us wanting the pads also, do we include the $280 or send a second check now?

Or do we send the pads payment with the shipping?

I mostly ask to get general clarification. I plan to be my own shipping and handling (I'll drive over to Dave's - a perk of being local to the fabricator!)