Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision avoidance in 6.1, do not get any warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding it is sort of hit or miss. I've had some pretty early alerts, particularly when a slower moving car cuts into my lane abrubtly. In some other cases, I feel like it fails to alert at all. My sense is that it is doesn't recognize stationary or very slowly moving targets like pedestrians. I also think under certain circumstances it gets confused about who is in my lane and who is not. On the whole, it does well with that, but I had one situation where it became convinced that a truck on an offramp that only had a single lane was no longer in my lane and it reacted very late when it finally realized that he was indeed in my lane.

I'm having the opposite issue... I'm on 6.1 and have the advanced collision warning set to Medium, but in the past week or so I've received 3 incorrect warnings. I think they've all been in a parking garage, passing parked cars. I assume it somehow thinks the parked car is in my way although it isn't. Maybe this is a bug? Or maybe I need to lower the sensitivity?

I have received many warnings from the Collision Avoidance. Mostly from when the TACC was misbehaving and stopping short, but I also received one when I was accelerating hard towards a slow moving car in order to pass a slightly-less-slow-moving car in the lane to the right of me, as far as I remember, TACC was disabled when I received this alert.

I have received many warnings from the Collision Avoidance. Mostly from when the TACC was misbehaving and stopping short, but I also received one when I was accelerating hard towards a slow moving car in order to pass a slightly-less-slow-moving car in the lane to the right of me, as far as I remember, TACC was disabled when I received this alert.
Yes same with me. Tacc was off for sure.

Never any pedestrian warnings yet.

For comparison, I drive a 2014 Volt with forward collision warning. I occasionally get false alarms, about 4-5 total in 12 months of driving. The false warnings occur in city driving, and I don't know what is triggering them. Perhaps oncoming traffic on curves.

It seems that the sate of the art needs to improve before the cars do the driving for us.

GSP

For comparison, I drive a 2014 Volt with forward collision warning. I occasionally get false alarms, about 4-5 total in 12 months of driving. The false warnings occur in city driving, and I don't know what is triggering them. Perhaps oncoming traffic on curves.

It seems that the sate of the art needs to improve before the cars do the driving for us.

+1. We are a looong way from auto pilot!

My wife drives a 2014 Volvo XC60 with forward collision warning and in a year and a half and 16,000 miles, she's never had a false alarm. Good thing, too, as it also has an autobrake - meaning that it will automatically apply the brakes after warning you if you take no action and it thinks a collision is imminent. Reports of false alarms on the Volvo forums are rare. So it is possible to get this right.

I have last year's model without the new autopilot features.
Sounds like some of these new features cannot be trusted. Gimmicky perhaps?
Would you really trust these features if your family members or friends were outside in front of the car?
Just as happy with my car as is.

I have last year's model without the new autopilot features.
Sounds like some of these new features cannot be trusted. Gimmicky perhaps?
Would you really trust these features if your family members or friends were outside in front of the car?
Just as happy with my car as is.

There are accidents/deaths every day caused by people not paying attention while driving. Why wouldn't you want every car on the road equipped with this? While it only plays a warning chime, that may get someone's attention so they can slam on the brakes and potentially save a life. Why make statements that it can't be trusted and is gimmicky?

Vehicle autopilot functionality is still in the early days of development, whether Teslas or other manufacturers. I am impressed that it is as good as it is now, and I know that in a few years it will be much better. It will definitely save lives as it is implemented in more and more cars. I look forward to having it in my next Teslas, though they are likely years away!