Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I make it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Fairly new to the Tesla. I have a couple of questions. I'm new to the whole trying to figure out the range thing. If there is somewhere you can point me to that would be great. I am trying to figure out if I can make this trip from Pleasant Prairie supercharger to sheboygan, WI and back. It would be about 190 miles round trip. I can probably plug into a 120v there to get maybe 16 miles back at 4m/h of charge. We are traveling with my wife, 1 year old and 3 year old in the middle and 5,6 year old in the jump seats in the back.
At full charge I know the rated range says 246miles. I will be using 19" snow tires from tesla. I have read on here with the cold to half the rated range. If this is the case then I will have to take the ICE vehicle. I live in Linconlshire IL, so my plan was to go to the supercharger and go to 100 percent and then get back to it and charge up enough to get home (25 miles from my house to supercharger) I'm not too keen on going to a level 2 charger for a few hours as with 4 kids, this would be not my ideal time of fun lol. Please advise. Thanks!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tes...x32f8eceab418e29!2m2!1d-87.71453!2d43.7508284

Last edited:
And... on your "return to supercharger" leg, keep the Nav open (Tesla's or your phone, doesn't matter) with a "distance to go" showing. Compare this to your car's displayed range to go (with allowance for whatever YOU believe your comfortable reserve should be). If these numbers "cross", slow down. It really is that simple.

And, yes, my Tesla is still on order... I base the above advice on my experiences driving a Leaf for the last three years. I've gotten very VERY good at rolling back into my driveway with only a my reserve remaining, on the dot, by having these two numbers displayed as I drive and modulating my speed.

Of course, test all your techniques and processes to the best of your ability, BEFORE having the wife/kids in the car! :)

evtripplanner says no, that it would take approximately 266 rated miles, roundtrip. Will have to charge in Sheboygan. Be sure to have the heat on in the car while charging so it will help warm up the battery so it'll use less power to heat things while driving.

You can check out plugshare.com as there might be other charging options too.

-m

I have plug share up and i've got evtripplanner up. I just dont know how it is with the D. that I am most worried about. I'm getting 244 rated miles for the trip. i just dont think it would be a great idea to have the kids wait at a plug for an hour to get enough charge. May have to take the ICE. Thanks!

Hi everyone. Fairly new to the Tesla. I have a couple of questions. I'm new to the whole trying to figure out the range thing. If there is somewhere you can point me to that would be great. I am trying to figure out if I can make this trip from Pleasant Prairie supercharger to sheboygan, WI and back. It would be about 190 miles round trip. I can probably plug into a 120v there to get maybe 16 miles back at 4m/h of charge. We are traveling with my wife, 1 year old and 3 year old in the middle and 5,6 year old in the jump seats in the back.
At full charge I know the rated range says 246miles. I will be using 19" snow tires from tesla. I have read on here with the cold to half the rated range. If this is the case then I will have to take the ICE vehicle. I live in Linconlshire IL, so my plan was to go to the supercharger and go to 100 percent and then get back to it and charge up enough to get home (25 miles from my house to supercharger) I'm not too keen on going to a level 2 charger for a few hours as with 4 kids, this would be not my ideal time of fun lol. Please advise. Thanks!

With the cold temps I'd be surprised if you actually got 4mi / hr back into the car on a 120. I'm seeing around 3 here and it's 35 degrees out. I did a trip over the summer with two small kids and there was a super charger for 120 miles. You'd be shocked what just slowing to 55mph can do in regards to how much battery life you get. Another option might be to stop at a level 2 even for an hour and have a meal or a snack after you're back on the road. An hour at L2 can get you around 56-58 miles. (This is what I did)

An hour at L2 can get you around 56-58 miles. (This is what I did)

You must have dual chargers, does the original poster? Is there an 80A charger on his route, a standard L2 charger will not give you 56-58 miles of range an hour!

Also, I've had my car over 2 years and only had one instance of getting 4 mi/hr at an L1 (120V outlet)! 3 is a much better number to estimate.

Unless I found more suitable charging in Sheboygan, I wouldn't risk it due to:

1. Cold temps
2. Inexperience
3. Young children

btw, ALWAYS call ahead to insure availability of charging, have a back-up plan (or two, especially traveling with small children in cold temps), maybe one of the (3) hotels in Milwaukee on Tesla's "Find Us" page will let you use their HPWC (and take full advantage of your twin chargers) if you agree to dine at their facility.

btw II, might your destination washer-dryer/mud room be located next to the garage so that your UMC along with the appropriate Tesla 10-30 or 14-30 adapters can reach your S for 18mph charge rate? (I carry a 50' stretched UMC for such occasions)

Last edited:
THis is where i'm getting a little confused. All L2's are not the same. I have the dual chargers. Plug share doesnt state anything about amps on my route but says the bmw place is 3.3kw that's the highest i can see. There are telsa chargers in some hotels in milwaukee, but I dont know if those are free to use.

I would do it if:
  • Good weather: 20F or higher, calm winds, no precipitation.
  • Plug at destination: At the very least you'll get 2 miles per hour and keep your battery warm (the most important part)
  • Spouse acceptance: You'll have to do a full top up at the SC, might have to reduce speed, might have to reduce temp in cabin and throw a blanket over the kids in the jump seats. Is your spouse interested/adventurous enough to enjoy this?
  • L2 Charging: You're fully prepared to stop at an L2 on the way back if things don't go as well as planned (see spouse acceptance).
If all four of those aren't met then take the ICE.

Incidentally, PlugShare indicates a NEMA 14-50 at Hamburger Mary's in Milwaukee. Not a bad emergency stop that will easily give you enough juice to bridge to the SC while getting some milkshakes. Disclosure: I've never been there so have no idea if they have milkshakes :)

Last edited:
^^^Agree with above advice, especially with cold, kids, and spouse. Always plug in at the destination, even if it's only 12 amp 120 V (although look for a 20 amp plug for a bit more).

Blink L2 are 30Amp, 6-7 KW (but could be broken or dialed down to 3.8 KW due to melting plug issue).
Charge Points are 7 KW and typically operational. Both require fobs.

If shopping/lunch is possible (no extra wait time), then you can stop at:
Kohls: 5700 N. Port Washington, Glendale, WI, 53217

Plenty of options in downtown Milwaukee, with options for kids. If it were me, I'd call some of the hotels with the 80 amp Tesla chargers (fast is always better and it's near 20 KW) and see what the cost might be for an hour or two. Finally, in an emergency, you could stop at BMW, 5990 N Green Bay Ave, Glendale, WI, 53209. I'm sure they would love to see a Tesla that is begging for a charge in front of their dealership. Plus you can do a test drive.

Finally, as others have said, set your destination and then slow down as needed. I've done 65 mi in my 2011 Leaf at 20 F so I've experienced this a few times. There is a huge difference between 55 mph and 65 mph.

And don't just look at PlugShare. Use an RV park directory as well. Just check for 50 amp service (RV parks don't know what a 14-50 is, they only know 30 amp and 50 amp. The Model S can't use the 30 amp, but the 50 amp is a 14-50).

I don't get it.

Why can't anyone just slow down? You can't be serious. Any vehicle needs TONS more power to go fast, even a gas car. You have to fill up more often, haven't you noticed? So:

If you can't fill up, slow down. Get in the slow lane, follow the trucks. Go 65. Or 55. Get LOTS more range. Watch your buffer (extra miles to destination) and if that goes up, you can speed up. Unless you like sitting at a weird charger somewhere.

You can make it. Looks like you will be removing 50 miles with the SC close. That's only 150 miles as I see it. Even easier.

Slowing down is the most efficient way of getting to your destination. We were traveling from Portland Oregon to California. Had 28 miles to go with 14 miles in the battery. Under 32 degrees, mountain driving. Slowed down to 25 to make it. Made it with 1 mile to spare.

I don't get it.

Why can't anyone just slow down? You can't be serious. Any vehicle needs TONS more power to go fast, even a gas car. You have to fill up more often, haven't you noticed? So:

If you can't fill up, slow down. Get in the slow lane, follow the trucks. Go 65. Or 55. Get LOTS more range. Watch your buffer (extra miles to destination) and if that goes up, you can speed up. Unless you like sitting at a weird charger somewhere.

You can make it. Looks like you will be removing 50 miles with the SC close. That's only 150 miles as I see it. Even easier.
This is totally correct! I would take this trip in a heartbeat and not even be concerned. Just slow down a bit and turn down the heat a bit and motor on! And as for spending money to drive in the right lane...did you spend that money to leave it home in the garage and drive something else??? I have driven my P85 300 miles on a cold day and got home with 4 miles left. Bundled up with some blankets and drove 55 and 60 MPH.

This is totally correct! I would take this trip in a heartbeat and not even be concerned. Just slow down a bit and turn down the heat a bit and motor on! And as for spending money to drive in the right lane...did you spend that money to leave it home in the garage and drive something else??? I have driven my P85 300 miles on a cold day and got home with 4 miles left. Bundled up with some blankets and drove 55 and 60 MPH.

Don't get me wrong, I've driven slowly (30 mile detour not accounted for, etc) because slowing down is the easiest way
to gain range but we're talking about winter in ILL/WI. What if there is a 25 mile headwind (like I had last night).
He really needs to secure some L2 destination charging which seems to be an issue because he's only spending 4 hours there if I remember correctly.

I did a 600 mile one day round trip ride last year in the winter, the return ride was alone. Sometimes you just want to get to your destination, and I think with multiple kids in the car this is one of those instances.

I have plug share up and i've got evtripplanner up. I just dont know how it is with the D. that I am most worried about. I'm getting 244 rated miles for the trip. i just dont think it would be a great idea to have the kids wait at a plug for an hour to get enough charge. May have to take the ICE. Thanks!

The EV Trip Planner does not have the p85D yet. From my experience, using the S/P85 with 21" tires and 1.1 speed factor gets close to what my p85D does on 19" winter tires at 65 mph. In your situation 79 kWh - means you will need to recharger on your way for some time.

Do any of you people that are telling him to go ahead and use the Tesla drive a P85D? I do, and I'd say he would be crazy to attempt this unless he finds a good charging option some place other than the supercharger. Sure, slowing down will help. He might get stranded with no juice 20 miles from home instead of 40 miles from home.

Is it possible, that with really good conditions, even in winter, he might be able to make the trip in a P85D? Maybe? But a lot could go wrong, and not much would have to, and in fact I don't think anything would have to for him not to make it. This would be his first long trip in the car, with small kids. There's a time to experiment with range, and a time to be safe. This is a time to be safe. Take the ICE!