Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Name That Sound!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I contacted my service center a bit ago regarding some mechanical nose that sounded to me like either a pump or perhaps a fan.
It happens semi regularly, but not always. Typically when first driving out in the morning.

They asked me to see if I could trigger it by putting the car in defrost mode. I tried that and I couldn't force the noise to occur. It's happened 2-3 times in the last week, and this morning it happened at a stop light so I was able to capture a few seconds of the noise on video(I wasn't able to jump out and see if it was louder outside the car.):

(Apologies for the vertical orientation... I was trying to grab this quickly at a stop light)

You may have to turn it up a bit to hear the noise. The phone's mic added some slight echo, which isn't actually there, but you can definitely hear a rhythmic mechanical sound that's new after about 20 months of ownership. It's not super-loud, but louder than anything I heard earlier under similar conditions (temperature, driving conditions, etc...). It sounds like it's located in the front drivers-side of the car somewhere.

Please note the video was taken with the HVAC system OFF to eliminate fan noise as a source. Turning the HVAC system back on has no effect. Sounds like a pump to me If I had to guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted my service center a bit ago regarding some mechanical nose that sounded to me like either a pump or perhaps a fan.
It happens semi regularly, but not always. Typically when first driving out in the morning.

They asked me to see if I could trigger it by putting the car in defrost mode. I tried that and I couldn't force the noise to occur. It's happened 2-3 times in the last week, and this morning it happened at a stop light so I was able to capture a few seconds of the noise on video(I wasn't able to jump out and see if it was louder outside the car.):

(Apologies for the vertical orientation... I was trying to grab this quickly at a stop light)

You may have to turn it up a bit to hear the noise. The phone's mic added some slight echo, which isn't actually there, but you can definitely hear a rhythmic mechanical sound that's new after about 20 months of ownership. It's not super-loud, but louder than anything I heard earlier under similar conditions (temperature, driving conditions, etc...). It sounds like it's located in the front drivers-side of the car somewhere.

Please note the video was taken with the HVAC system OFF to eliminate fan noise as a source. Turning the HVAC system back on has no effect. Sounds like a pump to me If I had to guess.

I had the same problem with a failing instrument panel cooling fan a few months ago. My sound was about the same and intermittent. I could occasionally make it go away by applying the universal engineering fix (...slapping the top of the dash with the palm of my hand). SC replaced the whole unit--all good now.

Last edited by a moderator: