Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should my iOS app make sounds too?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iPhone 6, on iOS version 8.1.2
Tesla Model S app, on version 2.2
2014 Model S, on version 6.01

When there are notifications (charging stopped/started) the notifications show up on my lock screen, but my phone never makes a noise. Is there supposed to be any sound when a new notification occurs on the iOS app?

When there are notifications (charging stopped/started) the notifications show up on my lock screen, but my phone never makes a noise. Is there supposed to be any sound when a new notification occurs on the iOS app?

Mine makes a sound. You need to change your sound settings.

Change in settings - notifications, and turn on 'sound'.

4dddd4a42469793c7bbc2f6a6d1a2bff.jpg

No such option for me.

Oh, it's settings - notifications - model s, not model s directly under settings.

See my first photo. There is no SOUND option when I go the route you're talking.. my first photo is SETTINGS -> Notifications -> Model S ... and there is no option to add/remove sound.

mine does not make sounds and i do not see a sound option under the notification settings for this app. it's fine by however, but the option would be nice i suppose.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this problem. But yeah, I'd like it because I'm traveling a bit lately and using the Supercharger -- so when it is done i need to manually remember to look at phone to not miss it -- that is my beef.

The notification always buzzes for me. I believe it rings too, but last time I was in a noisy environment, so I only felt the buzz (from the phone).

What version of iOS do you run and what type of phone? Again on iOS 8.1.2 on iPhone 6, there is no sound provision.

Contacted Tesla tech support yesterday morning, got a call in the evening. Apparently there SHOULD be a setting for sound (Settings -> Notifications - > Model S) -- but this guy on the phone had an iPhone 4 he was using to test, so it wasn't even the latest iOS. He said that was all they provided him for testing over the phone. He was going to look into it, but if you look at the App Store you'll see other review(s) that also complain about the lack of sounds in latest device/OS scenarios.

Hopefully whatever is causing the lack of sounds in a few cases will be resolved in a future app update. Tesla is now aware of it from my chat with this guy who claims he will flow this feedback to the proper people to fix the issue.

My experience is somewhat different on my iPhone 5s iOS 8.1.2. I get a silent notification when charging starts and a sound notification when charging is complete.

What version of iOS do you run and what type of phone? Again on iOS 8.1.2 on iPhone 6, there is no sound provision.

iOS 8.1.2 on iPhone 6

On my phone the Tesla App settings has: Allow Notifications, Show in Notification Centre, and Show on Lock Screen, which means the sound setting comes from the notification centre.

But like I said, I didn't hear the sound as it was noisy (and i get so many alerts that sometimes the brain just shuts them off, which is why I have vibrate on).

@arijaycomet - thanks for making Tesla aware of this. They need more recent hardware; if they truly have no device they can test with the latest iOS, then that's a problem.

FWIW, I have iOS 8.1.2, Model S app 2.2, and Model S firmware 6.0 (IIRC). I do get sounds along with my banners.

1. Settings : Notifications : Model S - no sound option, but the list of apps in Settings : Notifications shows "Sounds, Banners" in small print beneath the app name. Clearly this was set at some point in the past (by me? default when I originally installed?).

2. Settings : Models S (i.e., settings for the app itself) has a "Notifications" entry that, as above, says "Sounds, Banners"; tapping seems to lead to the same Notifications page, but again, no sound option on either page (no surprise, at this point).

3. In the Model S app itself, there's a settings page. I have notifications checked for everything except "Charging Started" (timed charging = I don't want a wake-up alert ;-) ). No options for sound/no sound.

Some apps in Settings : Notifications show sound options and some don't. What they show (a toggle, or the ability to pick a sound) varies from app-to-app, so this smells like a bug on Tesla's part (perhaps triggered by an iOS update at some point). I don't remember what it used to have (on/off? select a sound?). Again, thanks to @arijaycomet for contacting Tesla.