Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk at Texas Transportation Forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the videos below from yesterday, you can check out Musk's comments to Tesla owners after his talk at the Forum. Next, you can see the entire interview with the Texas Tribune in full, makes a strong case for direct sales in Texas...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this. This is a very different type of the interview than what we usually see when Elon Musk is interviewed. The person who interviews does it in a relatively aggressive style. Do you know who was the interviewer? Also I think Elon is able to defend and humor quite well in his own style.

Great interview! I think he did a great job of making the case for Tesla direct sales. I could definitely feel like the audience was on his side. Hope all goes well at the State Capitol. Is he giving a testimony that will be on Texas public access television or just meeting with local lawmakers?

As an EV driver, I'm more than willing to pay taxes for infrastructure maintenance.

However, I do believe I should get something for my investment. I suggest a conditional arrangement like Elon has arranged for his government loans (no money unless a certain benchmark is met).

I don't think people should be asked to unconditionally pay road maintenance fees that are clearly not going to road maintenance. (ie: if I lose several tires a year due to potholes, I should be exempt from the road tax the following year)

We do in WA State. A $100 fee gets tacked on to EV owner's annual registration here for gas tax replacement.

Which makes sense to an extent. I think it is clear that Elon thinks that things should be done fairly. Governments aren't going to be happy not getting their taxes so I expect to pay something somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

As an EV driver, I'm more than willing to pay taxes for infrastructure maintenance.

However, I do believe I should get something for my investment. I suggest a conditional arrangement like Elon has arranged for his government loans (no money unless a certain benchmark is met).

I don't think people should be asked to unconditionally pay road maintenance fees that are clearly not going to road maintenance. (ie: if I lose several tires a year due to potholes, I should be exempt from the road tax the following year)

Now you're asking a government to act with reason and integrity? That is probably a bridge too far.... :)

When Mr. Musk gets pressed a little by "EV owners don't pay gas tax", he says maybe we should somehow. We the Tesla EV community, are paying for the SuperCharger Network Infrastructure...without the help of any gas taxes. ;)

The United States provides subsidies for petroleum production totaling about $2.5 billion per year. That is just production of petroleum products, not consumer support or general support (the strategic petroleum reserve alone costs about a billion per year). If you are going to gripe about EVs avoiding taxes, you have to credit them on the other side of the leger as well. In net terms, EVs are probably a fiscal benefit to state and federal governments. Some good data here: TADFFSS - OECD

There simply should be a fuel blind tax for cars based on weight and mileage.

I'm actually okay with this idea, as long as the EVs still pay less as we don't pollute the local air, cause oil spills, or combust as often.

Lets be real, semi trucks actually cause the most damage to highways over time, although we all indirectly benefit from them (unless you're Ron Swanson and make/grow all of your own stuff).

We could also argue that the entire concept of gas tax is flawed because even when the gas prices were sky high for years, America's bridges and roads and general infrastructure were/are still in a terrible state.

I'm actually okay with this idea, as long as the EVs still pay less as we don't pollute the local air, cause oil spills, or combust as often.

Lets be real, semi trucks actually cause the most damage to highways over time, although we all indirectly benefit from them (unless you're Ron Swanson and make/grow all of your own stuff).

We could also argue that the entire concept of gas tax is flawed because even when the gas prices were sky high for years, America's bridges and roads and general infrastructure were/are still in a terrible state.
Yes we have to "follow the money" when it comes to these fuel taxes. They are indeed supposed fund road maintenance and I'm not sure that's always the case. That's why the tax on gas in Texas is $0.384/gal and diesel is $0.444/gal since the diesel is assumed to be used in heavy trucks which tear up the roads more. So taking myself for example, in 2015 I will not be paying the $150 I would have had I not bought my Tesla and replaced my Nissan. Do I feel bad about that? Not really. I don't see the hydrocarbon-based vehicles paying any carbon tax for all the CO2 and pollution flying out their tailpipes. There should be two taxes, annual usage tax like above (but separated from the fuel pump), and a carbon tax (embedded in the fuel cost) to let folks feel the pain they are inflicting on the environment.