Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Number Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the "Tech" style, seemed appropriate and fits the plate mount on the front of Models S perfectly.
image.jpg

Both plates attached with car grade double sided tape but degrease the front plate mount first as there is an oily film on it that prevented the first attempt from staying on properly.

Last edited:
Both plates attached with car grade double sided tape but degrease the front plate mount first as there is an oily film on it that prevented the first attempt from staying on properly.

The mounting holes on the front plates line up perfectly and Tesla screwed them on with colour matching screws. The rear needed drilling, ie the plate, not the car, and Tesla did this for me.

Does the front plate plinth come already fitted ex-factory? I have shorter plates I might fit and I'd prefer plinth overhang.
I recall seeing some discussion in other U.S. areas of this forum where people asked for the plate mount not to be fitted.
You would need to contact Tesla well ahead of delivery to have that option. I was thinking of asking for it to be left off but forgot to ask, however I think I'm happy with the look of the mount.

Last edited:
So, when the MS arrives in Australia:

1) The front number plate location is perfectly smooth, with no holes. Tesla Australia attaches a number plate mount to the vehicle, and the number plate attaches to this mount with double sided tape.
2) The rear number plate location has holes pre drilled.

I'd like to have no mounts, no screws, no plates. Prefer to have some stickers made up, to look exactly like my number plate, which would give a much cleaner and smoother finish.

1) The front number plate location is perfectly smooth, with no holes. Tesla Australia attaches a number plate mount to the vehicle, and the number plate attaches to this mount with double sided tape.

I'd like to have no mounts, no screws, no plates. Prefer to have some stickers made up, to look exactly like my number plate, which would give a much cleaner and smoother finish.

I looked into stickers with a previous car and at that time they weren't legal

I looked into stickers with a previous car and at that time they weren't legal

I wonder:

1) How much the fine is
2) The likelihood of getting caught, assuming the sticker looks identical to an actual plate

Zagame Lamborghini currently have an Aventador on their showroom floor with stickers for number plates. Presumably, a lamborghini owner can pay whatever the fine is....

In NSW, i think the reason is that the numbers have to be reflective so that they can catch you on their candid cameras!! Probably the same applies in Vic. Tesla told me by phone when about to deliver my car that the front plate holes lined up perfectly with the holes in the plate mount. They wanted to drill my rear plate to suit the Tesla hole position, which i declined and the rears were taped on. So far, no problems.

Good news about the front,bummer about the back. I'm wondering the best way to stop them fitting the front mount. Murphy's Law says any request not to will be overlooked.

No stick on plates for me though. 3 demerit points in SA.

My Kids picked mine, Madeleine and Elizabeth. Fits good in the back, I had to drill out two holes in the number plate in the middle, in the front it didnt fit well, its a bit big, but i did not have to drill, the screw holes lined up. The girls love it so i dont really care :)

IMG_4158.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7168.JPG
    IMG_7168.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,039
Reactions: UNCLETYS
Linda has arranged for my car to be delivered without the numberplate mount so I can choose a smaller plate and attach it directly on to the car if I wish. She is great to deal with!

My earlier post made no sense. I'm actually trying to avoid the mounting plate overhanging the front plate.

Hi guys I'm getting a new plate - does anyone know the best way to remove the existing plate that has been stuck on with double sided tape? I don't want to damage underneath.

For house grade double sided tape, floss will cut through the foam inter layer, but car grade double sided is a lot stronger.
Using the thinnest flat blade screwdriver, identify the taped areas and try and split the DS tape by pushing the screwdriver into the inter layer of the tape.
Don't try and do it all at once, just work on one side until you can start to tilt the plate to get in further. If that's not enough progress to the next larger screwdriver.
I used this technique to remove the e-Tag from my old car and it worked pretty well and avoided scratches.
Alternately you could ask Tesla to do it. :cool:

Last edited: