Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redondo Beach (LIVE 20 Jan 2015, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem to find it listed on the supercharge.info site so excuse me if this is listed somewhere, but I just checked into a Hilton hotel for work at the address: 2410 Marine Avenue Redondo Beach, CA 90278 and it has 8 Supercharging stations all set up.

Last edited:
Pardon me, only 8 stalls. Here are the photos:
10884817_10100977741490256_983288258_n.jpg
10934436_10100977741435366_1644664304_n.jpg
10921882_10100977741420396_1475351474_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody charging, 2 of the stalls are ICEd. I didn't see any Teslas charging a few hours ago when i checked in either.

Yes once Blueshift gets the information he will put a cone on supercharge.info. Please look for the utility transformer.. that will be most helpful in determining when they may possibly go live. If it is there on a pad by itself, we may only be waiting for the utility company to run wires; do hook ups etc. Again!! Awesome find! ....2 posts in and great photos etc. Many people will wake up tomorrow quite surprised to see this site so far along!!

Yes once Blueshift gets the information he will put a cone on supercharge.info. Please look for the utility transformer.. that will be most helpful in determining when they may possibly go live. If it is there on a pad by itself, we may only be waiting for the utility company to run wires; do hook ups etc. Again!! Awesome find! ....2 posts in and great photos etc. Many people will wake up tomorrow quite surprised to see this site so far along!!

These pictures are dark but it's the best I could get this late, but there appears to be 4 cabinets on each side of the boxed area. I've not snooped enough transformers to know exactly what to look for.

10941760_10100977751395406_2113543108_n.jpg
10872246_10100977751410376_719466604_n.jpg

The utility transformer is usually Green and would sit outside of the wooden fenced in structure.

looks like
and usually has yellow bollards {pictured below} near it for vehicle protection.
Unknown.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

but hey! it's late! get some sleep and maybe some more photos in the morning! Fantastic find though! Yep!! right under our noses:confused::biggrin: It's just great to see another one in the So-Cal area where so many Tesla Model S owners are located. ...and in an area where so many other TMS owners travel through!!

Attachments

• P1010051.JPG
    P1010051.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,492
Last edited:
Huge find, great addition! But makes me wonder about the supercharger strategy because redondo beach is on the road to nowhere. [edit: this is actually in redondo just off the 405, which is great and should help with alleviating traffic from Hawthorne and more efficient for people traveling north and south along the westside]

Looking at the Satellite view in the iOS Maps app for that address yields an interesting assortment of vacant lots, community gardens and an abandoned mini-golf course. Somebody's been busy...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Redondo Beach Supercharger?

What?!? This is incredible. No one saw this SC until it was completed? In the LA metropolitan area? I can hardly believe it, then I looked at the Google maps satellite view and I see why: it is on abandoned land in a light industrial area on a street that doesn't get a lot of traffic. But it is just a minute from the Inglewood Ave. exit. Good location.

I think this is a reflection of a fundamental change in Teslas Supercharger philosophy over the past year: they are now starting to build locations in major urban areas that are also intended for potential customers who do not have the ability to charge at their residence because they do not have a dedicated parking spot that they have control over. This new Redondo Beach location can of course be used by long distance travelers because of its proximity to the 405, but it can and will also be used by local owners who cannot readily charge at their condo or apartment. Just like the new Culver City SC. I think we will soon see more new SCs in the greater LA area.

Yesterday at work I was talking to an anesthesiologist who lives in San Francisco. He's interested in EVs but he parks on the street so has no way to charge one. So this is a high income guy who doesn't have his own parking space. Sounds odd, but not that unusual in SF. I hope Tesla builds a supercharger in San Francisco soon.

Last edited:
it is my understanding that Socal will have a few more in the near future. Kind of jealous being a Norcal guy but I applaud Tesla for making it happen. Hopefully they look at all areas that are large markets and do the same. The Bay Area seems to be getting in on this too.

I think this is a reflection of a fundamental change in Teslas Supercharger philosophy over the past year: they are now starting to build locations in major urban areas that are also intended for potential customers who do not have the ability to charge at their residence because they do not have a dedicated parking spot that they have control over. This new Redondo Beach location can of course be used by long distance travelers because of its proximity to the 405, but it can and will also be used by local owners who cannot readily charge at their condo or apartment. Just like the new Culver City SC. I think we will soon see more new SCs in the greater LA area.

Im not sure. If that were the case, Tesla would be building a high density of SpC in downtown LA closer to the 5 freeway. But this is precisely what they are not doing. As you go further out from downtown the suburban culture dominates. This is where you are more likely to find folks with dedicated charging in their garages. I'm not sure I see the utility of the Redondo beach location.