Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrysler 200 - What I think Model 3 should look like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I see a new Chrysler 200 on the road, I think to myself "THAT'S what a Model 3 should look like!". Obviously somewhat different, but the basic design looks very electric. Am I the only one?
2015-200C.jpg

2015chrysler200c04.jpg

I agree that its a good looking car. Rear end taper even looks like it may be pretty aero. Don't understand why they went with a conventional trunk over a open hatch area though.

I think the model 3 will be a bit more unconventional as well.

the sonata resembles the new legacy, not the 200. they both look amazing too

and yes, the new mazda kodo stuff looks incroyable

honestly, most current gen cars are so 180 degrees from their prev gens in terms of looks, and thats a great thing.

The challenge is to not come up with a design that is too radical and would be rejected by a significant faction of the target market.

Humans often resist change, even if the change has a rational basis and provides benefits. The Model 3 design has to provoke a strongly positive first reaction. It can't be too radical, but it does have to be distinctive, in a good way. It's a tricky balance.

Can't go wrong copying Mazda. (I'm biased though)

The Mazda does have nice lines but the large grill needs to go. The Model 3 will have little need for it and that would give Franz some room to play and create a unique and hopefully sporty beautiful look.

All the cars shown are somewhat similar except the XL-1. I disagree with Rob that the 3 should wear its EV-ness as a badge of courage. I want Tesla to succeed and sell 500,000 cars a year. They will not do that with something too strange and different from what people are used to.

Sorry Rob. And understand that I came here from wanting an Aptera. So lightweight and ultra efficient is where my heart sits. I just know that will not draw in the worldwide mass market.

Last edited:
I don't think Model 3 will come with unconventional doors either due to price but that sleek front end of the XL1 is a possible design direction.

Here is the prototype of Jaguar's 2017 3 Series fighter the XE. Mostly aluminum, RWD with AWD optional.

2017-jaguar-xe-sports-sedan-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-629788-s-original.jpg

Funny, that one looks almost exactly like the current 3-series/4-series, apart from the grill. Bit lame, trying to fight something by trying to look exactly like it. Not saying that this Jag isn't a nice looking car though.