Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Globe, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The placement of a Supercharger near Globe, AZ is a great idea! While many of us struggle to determine exactly where the superchargers will be based on the 2016 Tesla Supercharger Map, it's gotta be close to Globe. For those who don't know, Globe has a rich history as a mining town and was on the Old West Highway that ran from Apache Junction to Lordsburg, New Mexico. Globe has a great archeological site, a historic downtown, thriving antique shops, a good number of fine local artists, and beautiful scenery nearby.

Globe's distance from the other Arizona Superchargers is near perfect:
* Globe to Holbrook - 134 miles
* Globe to Tucson - 106 miles
* Globe to Buckeye - 123 miles
* Globe to Benson - 158 miles
* Globe to Casa Grande - 86 miles

ZZB should be very happy - it's all very do-able in a 60kWh MS.

globeA.gif
GlobeB.gif
globeC.gif

Unfortunately Tesla's map doesn't show Globe getting any Supercharger love until 2016...

But this is a good location for one... It also opens up the White Mountains -- Show Low, Greer, and even Alpine to us 60s. Now we just need some more destination charging in Eastern AZ...

Last edited:
Yes, 2016 seems like quite a while from now, but it's a great development. I'm sure that the current ~1500 Arizona Tesla owners would like to be able to explore Eastern Arizona, but Arizona already has the second greatest number of Superchargers in the US (tied with Florida).

I would LOVE to see Globe, AZ and/or Payson, AZ get a supercharger. Right now, from Scottsdale to Pinetop, AZ and back is 387 rated miles (assuming returning with ZERO miles). That is a TREMENDOUS challenge. Pinetop, AZ (and pretty much ALL of Eastern, AZ) is completely without any charging of any sort. Unfortunately, that means needing an ICE.

I literally waited an extra year before ordering my 90D, waiting for Tesla to do something. Finally, I think Tesla is going to put a Supercharger in Globe, AZ - making this trip possible. Show Low, AZ would be even better though. Then I can charge with a low SOC and bring on the power faster - but I am getting ahead of myself. Tesla - PLEASE! Anything in Payson, AZ - Globe, AZ - or Show Low, AZ and I will be able to drive this awesome car on some BEAUTIFUL roads!!

My 90D is in production. Thinking I will see it in the next week or two! Now if only we had a way to get it to Pinetop, AZ. Hummm.....

I'm in the same boat but with 70D. Have cabin in Lakeside and live in central Scottsdale. I'm thinking even with elevation gain should make it there ok but won't have 50 amp available at cabin. My plan was to visit RV park for 50amp charging for 5-6 hours then 110 at cabin to top off. Do you have a place to stay up there you can charge? Remember the drive back down is cake with tons of regen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also! Tesla employee told me there is a higher up employee who commutes frequently from white mountains and is "actively" working to get a supercharger installed along the route asap!

I'm in the same boat but with 70D. Have cabin in Lakeside and live in central Scottsdale. I'm thinking even with elevation gain should make it there ok but won't have 50 amp available at cabin. My plan was to visit RV park for 50amp charging for 5-6 hours then 110 at cabin to top off. Do you have a place to stay up there you can charge? Remember the drive back down is cake with tons of regen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also! Tesla employee told me there is a higher up employee who commutes frequently from white mountains and is "actively" working to get a supercharger installed along the route asap!

Find a restaurant, etc, that is interested in putting in an 80 Amp Destination Charger along the way, and get dual chargers for your car. You will be much happier...

- - - Updated - - -

AZAX456 - No, I don't have a place up there where I can charge. My fiancé has parents that are working on purchasing a cabin up there, but I'm not so sure they will let me install an outlet. I'm hoping they will let me use an existing 110 outlet, but the place is really old and I'm not sure if there is an "extra" 110 outlet that isn't already being used for other things (space heaters and what not). Being that the temperatures at night are commonly very cold, I'm not sure the 110 outlet will really add any range - and certainly not enough during my short weekend stay to make it all the way round trip. Since we would probably also want to drive around the area for a 15-30 miles each day, that would further complicate the situation.

Maybe I can find a way to use their oven outlet? I can just see the look on her mothers face with a 20' cord going across the kitchen counter and out the window....maybe not a good plan.

A supercharger in Show Low would be amazing! That is about 185-210 rated miles from Scottsdale (depending on speed/temperature). Arrive with a low SOC and have a shorter stop at the supercharger.

Globe is a bit too close to Scottsdale. I would have to sit there for at least 45 minutes in order to go to Pinetop and back. In Show Low, it would take only 25 minutes to gain the same number of miles.

Of course, I would be more than thrilled with anything that makes the trip possible!

RV parks are out of the question. Fiancé would probably hate my car if I did that.

What if you charged the car overnight at an RV Park? You'd be surprised how slow and steady wins the race (talking about a 110 outlet). It could replace the 15-30 miles per daily. If you'll be visiting Pinetop regularly I'd say try it with the Tesla one time. Plan on a full charge at an RV Park soon after you arrive and then top off on the household plug. It might work out for you after all.

This is why I'd love to see a Supercharger in Payson. It's pretty close to the valley, but because most of the elevation climb is in this stretch, it wouldn't take too much more power to get over to the White Mountains from Payson. I'd also love to see one in Pinetop/Lakeside/Show Low.

Right now, when I want to go to our cabin in Greer I have to go through Cordes -> Flagstaff -> Holbrook

This is why I'd love to see a Supercharger in Payson. It's pretty close to the valley, but because most of the elevation climb is in this stretch, it wouldn't take too much more power to get over to the White Mountains from Payson. I'd also love to see one in Pinetop/Lakeside/Show Low.

Right now, when I want to go to our cabin in Greer I have to go through Cordes -> Flagstaff -> Holbrook

Ouch! How long does that take you?

A potiential new supercharger location in Globe AZ maybe at the brand new Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Globe. 928-425-8461. There are already two high powered wall connectors located there along with a level 2 charger. You can have food delivered while you overnight!! :smile: Plenty of parking, guest 24 hour fitness, laundry center and BBQ grill by the pool. It's a great location. Pictures.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I am very much hoping that at least a permit will show up for a Globe Supercharger, I would definitely use it.

A Globe supercharger would be very useful for anyone in northern AZ wanting to head east on I-10 but avoid Phoenix. In my ICE car I was used to heading over to Payson on 260, then SE to Globe and on to the I-10 E at Lordsburg NM. Really nice drive, only adds 10min or so, and well, avoids Phoenix. My Subaru Outback had lots of range so no sweat to go all 309 miles to Lordsburg at the I-10 before stopping for fuel. But there are no fuel stops in Lordsburg for my Tesla, and next one along I-10 E is at Deming, another 61 miles east. 370 is pushing it a bit.;)

Only alternative to still use this scenic Phx bypass with my Tesla is to hit the I-10 a little earlier before Lordsburg and then backtrack to the Wilcox AZ supercharger. This is technically doable at 301 miles but a bit scary. And it now makes the bypass 45min slower instead of only 10min. A Payson supercharger now under construction will mean Payson->Deming NM 294 miles, now doable but still a bit worrisome. Taking the backtrack route moves that back to a comfortable 204 miles. But still, backtracking and 45min pretty much rules it out. I see other alternative is to charge up at the Holiday Inn Express in Globe, thx much for that tip, great that they have 2 Tesla plugs but comments say $15 per hour for 22 miles or so at 40a, so a bit of a hassle plus same time cost as backtracking. Hmm, I could maybe have lunch there and charge at same time, maybe they wouldn’t charge for the charging if so ... will give them a call.

Does anyone regularly plan trips with an expected under-50 mile range left on arrival? I did close to that coming west into Deming, projected and actual range at arrival a little under 60 miles. Maybe I will give it a try once the Payson supercharger is up and running. I may be able to tell by Lordsburg that I have to stop and beg for charging from a local RV park before continuing.;)

Last edited:
Some partial good news: while waiting for a Tesla Supercharger to be constricted in Globe, unlikely any time soon because there is not even a construction permit yet, you can get a charge from the Holiday Inn Express in Globe - they have 2 Tesla plugs. Only 40a and they charge $15 per hour, I think even if you are staying at the hotel they charge you at this rate, BUT ...

I talked to the front desk and confirmed that you can charge for free if you are an IHG member, whether you are staying at the hotel or not. I am a member, I think it is a free membership to encourage you to stay at member hotels, and there are points awarded etc etc.

SO, what I will probably sometimes to is stop there for lunch and charge on the way east, about 3.5 hour drive from home. Works really well once the Payson supercharger is up and running, I can stop there on the way first and top off quickly, then will only need to add 30 miles or so to have plenty to go on to Deming.

Yes, I am very much hoping that at least a permit will show up for a Globe Supercharger, I would definitely use it.

A Globe supercharger would be very useful for anyone in northern AZ wanting to head east on I-10 but avoid Phoenix. In my ICE car I was used to heading over to Payson on 260, then SE to Globe and on to the I-10 E at Lordsburg NM. Really nice drive, only adds 10min or so, and well, avoids Phoenix. My Subaru Outback had lots of range so no sweat to go all 309 miles to Lordsburg at the I-10 before stopping for fuel. But there are no fuel stops in Lordsburg for my Tesla, and next one along I-10 E is at Deming, another 61 miles east. 370 is pushing it a bit.;)

Only alternative to still use this scenic Phx bypass with my Tesla is to hit the I-10 a little earlier before Lordsburg and then backtrack to the Wilcox AZ supercharger. This is technically doable at 301 miles but a bit scary. And it now makes the bypass 45min slower instead of only 10min. A Payson supercharger now under construction will mean Payson->Deming NM 294 miles, now doable but still a bit worrisome. Taking the backtrack route moves that back to a comfortable 204 miles. But still, backtracking and 45min pretty much rules it out. I see other alternative is to charge up at the Holiday Inn Express in Globe, thx much for that tip, great that they have 2 Tesla plugs but comments say $15 per hour for 22 miles or so at 40a, so a bit of a hassle plus same time cost as backtracking. Hmm, I could maybe have lunch there and charge at same time, maybe they wouldn’t charge for the charging if so ... will give them a call.

Does anyone regularly plan trips with an expected under-50 mile range left on arrival? I did close to that coming west into Deming, projected and actual range at arrival a little under 60 miles. Maybe I will give it a try once the Payson supercharger is up and running. I may be able to tell by Lordsburg that I have to stop and beg for charging from a local RV park before continuing.;)
FWIW I did make that Payson to Deming leg in an S100D in early January. Temps were around 40F and I drove during the afternoon. I just drove slow and bundled up using the seat heaters with no HVAC and made it without much issue. Of course if it was looking like I might not make it, I could have back tracked to Willcox when I hit I-10, so that was a good backup plan. That being said, driving slow was better than having the Willcox diversion.

And yes, I often attempt "adventurous" legs where I am predicted to arrive with 10% or less of battery. But I generally am travelling alone and usually have a Plan B, C, D, etc.

Reactions: VValleyEV